Why no fret #3 fret dots?

My Kanile'a has fretboard and side dots at the 3rd fret, but none of my other five ukes has 3rd fret dots.

Like Blank Williams I use the fret dots. When I play, the uke naturally falls into an angle with the fretboard facing up a bit.

If one of my ukes doesn't have a dot, I add it.

My Kamaka HF-3 has front markers at 5, 7, 10, 12 & 15. Side marker is only at 7.

When I was first learning to play the uke I looked at the front markers. Photos showed me hunched over while playing in order to see them.

Then I learned to rely on the side markers, and now, it's very rare that I use the front ones.

I have a couple of tenors that have no front markers only side markers. I like that just fine.

Ok I’m no novice, but am I the only one who angles the uke towards myself? I use the fret dots as reference far more than I do the side dots. In fact my favorite uke doesn’t even have side dots and I didn’t even notice right away. I play the same way with guitar too, maybe I’ve been doing it wrong all these years. As far as the third fret dot goes, I think it’s kinda pointless, I find the 7th 10th and 12th much more useful.
I did this and am moving away from this technique and relying on side dots. Angling the uke towards you to see the fretboard dots also adds strain to your left wrist. I’m not as young as I used to be

I did this and am moving away from this technique and relying on side dots. Angling the uke towards you to see the fretboard dots also adds strain to your left wrist. I’m not as young as I used to be
After reading this thread I tried playing with just using the side dots and it’s really awkward. I mean when I play the sound hole isn’t facing the ceiling, it’s just tilted slightly towards me. I’m actually not sure how anyone plays comfortably with the ukulele facing perfectly forward…

for the extreme

for the extreme

Well... yes, that is extreme. Interesting.

After reading this thread I tried playing with just using the side dots and it’s really awkward. I mean when I play the sound hole isn’t facing the ceiling, it’s just tilted slightly towards me. I’m actually not sure how anyone plays comfortably with the ukulele facing perfectly forward…
When playing standing up with a strap, you really can't see the fingerboard dots.
With a harmonica in a holder, I can't see the side dots either.
Muscle memory...

Traditionally, the guitar is the only stringed instrument that has a marker at the 9th fret. ukuleles, banjos, mandolins, tiples, bouzoukis. . . seem to have them at the tenth.
There are exceptions and this can make it difficult for players who are not used to it. My first 12-string guitar was an Aria which had no side dots, but had the dots on the board at 10. I added the side dots, putting a dot at 9.
When I made a banjo neck for a banjo that now belongs to my niece, I was thinking in guitar mode and put the dot at the 9th. It became so awkward to play, that I removed the dot and filled the hole with a filler made from rosewood dust and yellow glue and I put a dot at 10.
I had a luthier friend build me a neck for a banjolele, and, being a guitar builder, he put the dot at 9, but since I don't play it up the neck much, (if at all) I just left it. . . He did put a dot at three though.
DaveFoxNeck2.jpg

Last edited:
It is awkward to transition but breaking bad habits is hard. I still catch myself defaulting to the position you are talking about from time to time, but if you look at the greats, the pros, they are not peeking at the ukulele at an angle like that. It’s like teaching yourself to play piano with your wrists down, or holding a tennis racket wrong. You may have self taught yourself to be pretty good that way, but it’s still a bad habit. Up to you if you want to try and change.

It is awkward to transition but breaking bad habits is hard. I still catch myself defaulting to the position you are talking about from time to time, but if you look at the greats, the pros, they are not peeking at the ukulele at an angle like that. It’s like teaching yourself to play piano with your wrists down, or holding a tennis racket wrong. You may have self taught yourself to be pretty good that way, but it’s still a bad habit. Up to you if you want to try and change.
You are correct, I’ve never taken a formal lesson. But it never seemed like a hindrance either. You’re probably right that it’s bad form, but I’m still not convinced it matters that much. Plus if I stand while playing it’s more forward facing, and I still can look down and see the entire fretboard.

Actually, I play with the neck angled up at about 30° and away from my body so the back can vibrate more freely.

One of those milestone moments in learning to play was when I didn't have to look at the fretboard to know where my fingers were placed. At least for the first 5 frets. I have to look for some of the harder chords or plucks up the neck.

Ok I’m no novice, but am I the only one who angles the uke towards myself? I use the fret dots as reference far more than I do the side dots. In fact my favorite uke doesn’t even have side dots and I didn’t even notice right away. I play the same way with guitar too, maybe I’ve been doing it wrong all these years. As far as the third fret dot goes, I think it’s kinda pointless, I find the 7th 10th and 12th much more useful.
I do that too, Blank. At my low level of proficiency,I need to see my fingers and the fretboard and the fret wires in order to place my fingers correctly, esp. with barring and making difficult stretches. I don’t notice the side dots at the stage I’m at now.

for the extreme

Hey! An answer to my unsolved problem—how to memorize the fretboard.

I suppose if you "have to" have between-fret markers, you might as well go Roman Numeral... "Classical" look is coming back :)
[caveat: you couldn't have one with a 'zero' fret since there isn't / wasn't a zero Roman numeral.

Hey! An answer to my unsolved problem—how to memorize the fretboard.
Im in kind of a weird spot with that goal. Like, if you asked me to play you every position of the C major scale, no problem. Could even tell you without any thought what the note names are, in real time, up until probably the second position. After that I know where the "green light" notes are (all the notes in the C Major scale) but if you were like "hey show me all the Fs" I couldnt do past the first one of the Fs without thinking about where they are on the fretboard and honestly I'd probably give up.

lol i guess the weird spot I am in with this goal is "has not achieved it"

The late Jackie Washington was my guitar hero since my teenage years since I first saw him in the early sixties. Does the way he holds his guitar look familiar?

Here's how Jackie looked when I first saw him with his old Kay guitar. He could still see the fretboard.
Jackie with Kay.png

Last edited:
I can use all the DOTS I can get on my uke or guitar. hehe

Top Bottom