Why no fret #3 fret dots?

I too have wondered this. I’ve always assumed it was because the space is so small, you’re supposed to just guess, but that seems like a crappy answer. I also have seen some ukes with it on 3rd fret. By and large tho I think you’re right.

My guess would be that at the third fret your hand is still in the first position and that the dots are helpful to find your position when moving your hand further down on the neck. In the first position your four fingers would be covering the first four frets so there really isn't a need for a position dot.

Last edited:
My Clara has no dots on the third and I never really noticed until looking now. The third is easily found by being in first position and being two away from the nut so a dot there is really superfluous.

My Clara has no dots on the third and I never really noticed until looking now. The third is easily found by being in first position and being two away from the nut so a dot there is really superfluous.
Though, as a Southern Appalachian American, I’m certainly no “grammar snob”, one of the things I really enjoy about UU is the opportunity to communicate with folks who can not only spell “superfluous” but are also able to deploy it in the proper context.🥸

After acquiring my first Kanile'a I added a third side dot to nearly all my instruments. I'd rather not have any between-fret dots or any other decoration on the fretboard. : - ) Dots on the f/board face don't help me cause I can't see 'em (and I need any guidance I can get!)

Personally, I like fewer dots rather than more. Too many landmarks isn’t helpful (yes, the noun phrase “too many landmarks” here is notionally singular so takes a singular verb).
i'm w/ Patty on this one. (oh, and WebParrot - just saw that post!)
on the few custom instruments i've commissioned i have asked specifically
for a clean fretboard - w/ markers on the side only.
after all, in playing position they are the ones you really use as a guide.
that said, it's purely an aesthetic thing for me.

Looking around my music room at the instruments out of cases, I see 2 guitars, 2 banjos, a mandolin, a tiple, and three ukuleles with no 3rd fret position marker. One banjo and one ukulele have third fret markers. I have never missed the markers at the third fret, but they are really needed (by me) in the higher positions. The side dots are the only really necessary ones, since I can't see the fretboard as I'm playing.

I don't think any of my ukuleles have front or side dots at the 3rd fret. I assume they figure most players don't need any help counting to 3. Once you get to 5, you've run out of fingers (assuming your thumb is on the back of the neck so you can't use that for counting).

You know, that's a really good point: why are there fret dots ON the fretboard? Who looks at their fretboard from that angle when playing? Side dots = yay! Fretboard dots = kinda pointless? Other than for decoration, so I guess if you're into the decoration, that's good.

I do have to say I love the markers on Ray Vincent's fretboards, they're stunning; but his instruments are really unique from top to bottom.

You know, that's a really good point: why are there fret dots ON the fretboard? Who looks at their fretboard from that angle when playing? Side dots = yay! Fretboard dots = kinda pointless? Other than for decoration, so I guess if you're into the decoration, that's good.
I use em when watching and learning from others playing! I dunno the intent, but that definitely helps me monkey see monkey do!

I assume the marker is left off the third fret for solely aesthetic reasons. However I always insist on one on my custom ukes because if you play the note on the 0, 3, 5 7, and 10th frets, you have the pentatonic scale. So to me having all the dots is a tribute to the African influence that is such a gargantuan part of the American sound.

I do have to say I love the markers on Ray Vincent's fretboards, they're stunning; but his instruments are really unique from top to bottom.
I use em when watching and learning from others playing! I dunno the intent, but that definitely helps me monkey see monkey do!
Matt Dahlberg has a custom Kanile'a where there are numbers instead of fret dots. He is an instructor and not a performer. So his students can easily see what frets he is on. Genius!

I use my front fretboard dots instead of the side ones. My ukulele is angled enough that I am always looking at my fretting fingers in order to position them properly for the chords and so it is easier to see the front dots than the side ones. My gaze is usually on the music, on my fretting fingers, or the television, never on an audience.

Dot in third is not necessary but dot in ninth or tenth now that is a whole other kettle of fish. :cool:

Ok I’m no novice, but am I the only one who angles the uke towards myself? I use the fret dots as reference far more than I do the side dots. In fact my favorite uke doesn’t even have side dots and I didn’t even notice right away. I play the same way with guitar too, maybe I’ve been doing it wrong all these years. As far as the third fret dot goes, I think it’s kinda pointless, I find the 7th 10th and 12th much more useful.

Dot in third is not necessary but dot in ninth or tenth now that is a whole other kettle of fish. :cool:
Yep! Most mine have them at 10 but my vintage Weymann has one at 9. It always throws me off. I’ve actually started ignoring the dots at 9/10 and focus on using the 7th and 12th to guide me.

I was watching a classical guitarist recently on YouTube discussing how traditionally classical guitars have no dots but that it wasn’t uncommon for players to put a single side dot at the 7th. As I thought about that I realized the 7 is the only one I HAVE to have. Look closely at this 2001 KoAloha. It has front dots at 5,7,10,12 but the only side dot is at the 7th.

Last edited:
Top Bottom