Strings Which Strings

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I'm putting new strings on my Ohana TK75CG spruce/maple tenor. These are the sets I have on hand: Aquila Super Nylgut, D'Addario Clear Nylon J65, Worth Clear CT-LG, and Oasis GPX Clear Fluorocarbon. I may be ordering something else if the general consensus is that none of the above is what I need. Looking to get a little less high end sound and a little more low end. I have always liked Black Lines and have a set of, I think they are called,Kala Reds on a KOA Big Island that I like also. I've not had that much experience with different strings and their sounds so thanks for any and all suggestions.

I would normally pick a clear fluorocarbon like the Worth Clear as a first try to balance a spruce top.

Oasis GPX Clear Fuorocarbon Warm not the Brights.

I’m in favor of Fremonts but my experience is with soprano rather than tenor. That said, when reviewing yesterday’s cover of “Old Habits” I posted for SOTU 563, I noticed an audible residual tap / click during my finger picked intro. Not yet sure whether that unintended sound was attributable to the Black Lines or my poor technique, but the latter is the more likely source😂

Last edited:
You have some sets to try. I'd try any probably with the exception of the Super Nylgut. If you like Black Lines, and I'm guessing the Reds you speak of , might be Aquila... order sets of those Blacks and Reds next time you order strings.

Don't know if you are playing high G or low G. If you want more bottom end, or want some lower tone mixed in and haven't tried a low G string maybe add a low G to your mix. That can change the overall mix and round out the sound. Experiment. Sometimes even slightly counterintuitive choices wind up sounding really good on a particular uke. I have put Worth browns on spruce tops with nice results. All depends on YOUR ears .

Maybe add a set of Worth Browns to your next string order too.

Have fun - try different strings. Each uke is a little different, even like models sometimes.

There is a lot of personal preference in string choices. Some people really like higher or lower tension or thicker or thinner strings. That is something you will have to decide for yourself by just installing and playing with different strings. Play each type for at least several weeks and take notes about your impressions. Nylgut and nylon strings are usually significantly thicker than fluorocarbon.

Regarding low-G, that works well with certain styles of playing. Many (probably most) low-G players also have high-G ukuleles for when they are playing other types of music. I'm guessing that most primarily high-G players do not own a low-G ukulele.

The Nylon strings will be the mellowest strings. I like Aquila strings, yet everyone to their own. Flurocarbon strings sound sweet at first impression, yet I find them a bit one dimensional.

Now if more low end is what you want, then the first thing to do is to get some low G strings rather than reentrant strings. Then of course you just outright detune the instrument.
I play tenors at E,A,C#,F#. F,A#,D,G also works well on tenors.

Aquila Nylguts don't thrill me on my Mainland Mahagony tenor but they sound great on my wife's Mainland Mahagony concert. You never know.

Each ukulele seems to be its own animal. My first choice for fluorocarbon is always Martin's. Quality strings at an affordable price. Next up are Worth's, Freemont's, Oasis and Hannabach's. Never leave out Living Waters.
All are topnotch strings. So hard to say what will work for each ukulele.
Experiment, Experiment, Experiment.
I have had ukes that I had given up on but with a different set of strings many have become my favorite ukes to play.

Last edited:
I have had ukes that I had given up on but with a different set of strings many have become my favorite ukes to play.
Before my recent trip to Hawaii, I was certain I was cedar top tenor, flurocarbon, wound low G player thru and thru. I had my spruce top Tiny Tenor listed, since it wasn't that warm cedar sound I wanted. It didn't sell before my trip, so I held the listing and had some nudges to keep it.

On the HMS podcast ep with Aldrine and Aaron, they had a pretty good string discussion that highlighted that Aldrine and Kalei both often use D'Addario nylons.

When I visited HMS, I asked Kalei what he would suggest for my TT and he pointed out the D'Addario Clear Nylon EJ65T set. I finally put 'em on today and boy was he right! It was a whole new sweetness and I fell back in love! I also tuned down a half step and my goodness. I couldn't put it down!

As the spruce opens up, I'm sure I can experiment more. But for now, I'm so glad things worked out the way they did and I ended up holding onto it.

I don't think I'm a fully changed man, as I still love the warm tones of my cedars, but this spruce with nylon strings has a new place in my heart.

I'll be ordering more nylon sets to try on the cedars too. I'm not sure if they'll be overly warm or if they'll get even sweeter. Either way, I'm excited to keep experimenting, experiencing, and learning!

Ukulele is a high frequency instrument, and to get lower you will need to switch from re-entrant to linear tuning and get a set with low G string. A softwood top like spruce is often selected by players to enhance brightness to baritone or low G tenors, so you may want to consider a uke with a hardwood top. Of the string choices, the two fluorocarbon are likely the harshest and nylon may be most mellow, but that's about tone and not about frequencies. There are also factors like depth and shape of body that have an effect and most important is playing style.

Top Bottom