Strings Which fishing line will win? (Unwound Low D tuning on Tenor Ukulele)

Which Fishing Line will achieve Low-D on a Tenor Ukulele

• 1.0mm (0.039 inch)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 1.4mm (0.055 inch)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1.75mm (0.069 inch)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 2.0mm (0.079 inch)

• You're way off, none of the above will work (Please specify in comment)

• Total voters

kissing

Reaction score
UPDATE
The 2.0mm string worked, but required some major modifications to the instrument to accommodate the thick string.
But at least I've shown that it is possible in concept. A heavy gauge fluorocarbon string could potentially work better without being as thick.
Video demonstration:

I have not been able to find a commercially available unwound low-D string that would work on a tenor ukulele.
Wound A string of a classical guitar works perfectly in general, but I have a Risa tenor Uke-Solid which has an unconventionally shaped plastic saddle that gets chewed up by wound strings.
Thus I would prefer having an unwound low-D string for Tenor (I tune it to DGBE like a baritone ukulele).

Options I have tried so far:

-PhD unwound low-D for baritone ukulele
Too loose on a tenor scale. Might as well use it as a low-G string.

-Classical guitar wound A string with rubber tubing where it meets the saddle in an attempt to protect the saddle (sometimes this is done on violin). Unfortunately the wound string chewed through the rubber tubing.
13756_rohrchen_picto_806344.jpg

The thickest commercially available nylon string I can find is La Bella 0.045 (1.14mm) which is on the way to me from StringsByMail, but something tells me that even this won't be thick/hard enough to maintain low-D on a tenor. Thus I have taken matters into my own hands by ordering 4 different thick nylon fishing lines as listed below. While I wait for them to come, I thought it might be a fun exercise to see which one is the most popular choice that people expect to work. It's going to be a fun case of trial and error.

Yes, I'm aware that having an unwound low-D is not ideal on a Tenor ukulele's scale. But this is an entirely electric instrument where acoustic volume is not an issue and I'm willing to make a bit of compromise if I can get an unwound string that feels ok to play at an appropriate tension.

Links to fishing lines I ordered:

1.0mm

1.4mm

1.75mm

2.0mm

Other options being considered if unwound string is unsuccessful:

-Replace plastic saddle with a custom brass one, or possibly bone.
Might be challenging to get the dimensions exactly right. But do-able. Would like to avoid the extra complexity and manual labor (lots of sanding) if possible.

-Flatwound classical A string with rubber tubing in an attempt to protect the saddle.
Perhaps being flatwound will make it less likely to chew through the rubber tubing.

Last edited:
Probably should have looked into fluorocarbon leader instead of nylon mono.

John

Last edited:
Probably should have looked into fluorocarbon leader instead of nylon mono.

John
Fluorocarbon was definitely part of my searches, but it was hard to find them conveniently set out in the gauges I needed and most seem too thin to achieve the tuning I want.
With the above 4 options, they are all same material, same brand and clearly set out as 1, 1.4, 1.75 and 2mm, allowing me to run controlled tests side by side.

For me, as long as it does the job, it doesn't matter whether nylon or fluorocarbon. If the above trials fail, fluorocarbon will be on my radar :)

Last edited:
10 years, or so (?), I tried nylon monofilament for just a tenor. I wasn’t happy with the results and moved on.

I also tried cheap Europro GT fluorocarbon leader, it was better, but short lived.

After a few years of testing string packs, I tried Seaguar fluorocarbon leader. It worked well, but it wasn’t until I recently “really” invested in it, was I able to dial in the sound. But not entirely.

For a 17” tenor scale tuned to low D baritone, I’m guessing.maybe .041” or .046”. Considering Worth uses .0358” for the baritone scale D string. It will probably need to be heavier.

The problem is $50 for 25 yards and only using a couple feet every few years. And if you need to try more than 1 size, it is way too much for a single string.

I wish you well and I hope it works. It is a slippery slope so dress accordingly.

John

Fluorocarbon fishing leader:
  • okay for me because I’m very happy with fluorocarbon and will use most of it within a few years; regular string changes, giving some to uke buddies, and experimenting on banjos etc
  • not for folks who like to try lots of different string sets because each coil will be good for 30+ ukulele string changes
  • 25+ yard/meter coils from the commercial fishery supply store
  • my fingers unravel wound ukulele strings in a few hours, and wound classical guitar strings within a month
  • fluoro is my choice over nylon because it is denser hence thinner especially at thicker gauges

Low D for 17” scale tenor ukulele:
- 1.17mm 0.046” aka 130 pound / 59 kg

Low D for 19-22” scale baritone and super baritone ukulele:
- 1.04mm 0.041” aka 100 pound / 45kg

Note that elasticity means that sizes / lengths are okay for +/- 10-15% range depending on your tension preference.

Cheers.

Last edited:
10 years, or so (?), I tried nylon monofilament for just a tenor. I wasn’t happy with the results and moved on.

I also tried cheap Europro GT fluorocarbon leader, it was better, but short lived.

After a few years of testing string packs, I tried Seaguar fluorocarbon leader. It worked well, but it wasn’t until I recently “really” invested in it, was I able to dial in the sound. But not entirely.

For a 17” tenor scale tuned to low D baritone, I’m guessing.maybe .041” or .046”. Considering Worth uses .0358” for the baritone scale D string. It will probably need to be heavier.

The problem is $50 for 25 yards and only using a couple feet every few years. And if you need to try more than 1 size, it is way too much for a single string.

I wish you well and I hope it works. It is a slippery slope so dress accordingly.

John
Thanks for the feedback, this is very valuable intel!
And yes, it's a slippery slope. I'm about to end up with 400m of string before even figuring out which one would work.
But fortunately these strings are 'sort of' cheap at $15-20 AUD per hank, so it's an R&D investment I'm willing to make.
Besides, if one of them is successful as low-D, the others could be used for some other tuning (eg: spare unwound Low-G, C, etc).

The sound doesn't need to be great as this is a purely electric instrument. It just needs to play the note while not feeling too floppy.

Fluorocarbon fishing leader:
  • okay for me because I’m very happy with fluorocarbon and will use most of it within a few years; regular string changes, giving some to uke buddies, and experimenting on banjos etc
  • not for folks who like to try lots of different string sets because each coil will be good for 30+ ukulele string changes
  • 25+ yard/meter coils from the commercial fishery supply store
  • my fingers unravel wound ukulele strings in a few hours, and wound classical guitar strings within a month
  • fluoro is my choice over nylon because it is denser hence thinner especially at thicker gauges

Low D for 17” scale tenor ukulele:
- 1.17mm 0.046” aka 130 pound / 59 kg

Low D for 19-22” scale baritone and super baritone ukulele:
- 1.04mm 0.041” aka 100 pound / 45kg

Note that elasticity means that sizes / lengths are okay for +/- 10-15% range depending on your tension preference.

Cheers.
Are the "130 pound" etc, some kind of universal measurement used for fishing line?
If your measurements work for me, then hopefully the 150 pound (1.4mm) is within the range I need.

Have you tried the Gone Fishin low D high tension tenor set? I think it also has the 1.05 mm string that they have as a single.

Have you tried the Gone Fishin low D high tension tenor set? I think it also has the 1.05 mm string that they have as a single.
Wow thanks for this! I didn't know this set existed.

Are the "130 pound" etc, some kind of universal measurement used for fishing line?
If your measurements work for me, then hopefully the 150 pound (1.4mm) is within the range I need.

1. Fishing people categorize line by strength which is tested pounds or kg without breakage.

2. Fluorocarbon is stiffer than nylon so you may like the PhD DGBE set. If too floppy, set aside the E string, move the others over one slot, and use fluorocarbon leader for the D.

3. I am happy with fluorocarbon 130lb 1.17mm and did not try 150lb.

Brands I’m familiar with and are available in Oz (one coil yields 30-40 strings) are Kureha, SeaGuar (subsidiary of Kureha), Berkeley, Yo Zuri, Hi Seas.

Search for fisherman supply companies and outdoor sporting goods companies. There might be one nearly.

Examples from eBay Australia:

Yo Zuri 130 lb:

Shimano 130lb:
z

Last edited:
Wow thanks for this! I didn't know this set existed.
I think that's mislabeled. The text at the bottom has
Tenor (low G - Low Tension)1A=0.57mm, 2E=0.66mm, 3C=0.74mm, 4G=0.91mm
Tenor (low G - High Tension)1A=0.62mm, 2E=0.74mm, 3C=0.91mm, 4G=1.05mm

I'm familiar with Living Water which uses 1.05mm as the low D at baritone scale. It's acceptable (barely) there, but on tenor scale, I can't imagine that working.

I think your quest for unwound low D tenor will be fruitless. There are wound alternatives that will work quite well so I think you're going to have to find a new saddle material or saddle protector solution

Hi all,

Doing follow up on this.

Firstly, the thickest string (2.00mm, 250lb) worked.
However, I would not recommend it to others, because it's really really really THICC :D

Also, I made some risky, irreversible modifications on my Risa Uke Solid to make it work:

-Enlarged the "headstock" hole where you thread and knot the string by drilling a larger hole
-Enlarged the tuning head's hole, because the 2mm string wouldn't fit through it (used the power drill again).

I'm OK with it, as I have many spare ukuleles and didn't mind doing experimental mods on this one in the name of "science".
Fortunately it turned out ok for me, as it did end up being a functional instrument with unwound low D.
It does feel a bit strange having the D string thicker and thuddier than the rest, but I can work with this musically as the string works well when playing a bass rhythm line. It's also quite percussive - you could probably slap it like a bass guitar's string.

Finding the right thickness of Fluorocarbon would probably work better (and probably didn't need the instrument modifications) but I think I'll stick to this setup (plus I have 100 meters of it now to last a lifetime).

Video demonstrating:

Recorded on my phone.
Amp: Roland Mobile Cube

Last edited:
Nice. works better than I thought it would!😛

For me the 1.05 at baritone scale starts getting thuddy around the 8th fret or so. Like yours is sounding here open.

This thick low D is definitely thuddy, especially at the higher frets.
But I'm trying to use it to my advantage as a characteristic sound unique to this instrument :D

The thickness makes me play it a certain way, and I don't mind it.

Top Bottom