Song Help Request What Key?

bilbo56

Reaction score
When I look in a songbook, in general, is the first chord considered the key. If I don't have the sheet music, how can I tell?
I'm trying to play John Prine's (also done by George Strait) "I Just Want to Dance with You." in the original key. The songbook I'm using starts with an F chord, but it doesn't sound right when playing along with the song.

When I look in a songbook, in general, is the first chord considered the key. If I don't have the sheet music, how can I tell?
I'm trying to play John Prine's (also done by George Strait) "I Just Want to Dance with You." in the original key. The songbook I'm using starts with an F chord, but it doesn't sound right when playing along with the song.
I hope some music-reader will answer this in a way that both of us can understand but, according to Jumpin' Jim Belloff (ozbcoz.com), George Strait did it in the key of C. Here's the link to Jim's webpage and there is a key transposition button you can use if Key of F (etc) works for your voice: <https://www.ozbcoz.com/Songs/song.php?ID=2147,soprano>

according to Jumpin' Jim Belloff (ozbcoz.com)
Apologies for jumping in with a correction, but I believe that's Jim Carey's site, nothing to do with Jim Beloff.

In general, the last chord of a song will tell you what key it's in. If this is the version of Prine's song you are talking about, it is in C. The first chord is a very short (eighth note) partial G chord followed by a C for the rest of the measure.

Last edited:
In general, the last chord of a song will tell you what key it's in. If this is the version of Prine's song you are talking about, it is in C. The first chord is a very short (eighth note) partial G chord followed by a C for the rest of the measure.

Thanks so much.

The first chord is not a reliable method of telling the key. The final chord is a more reliable way of determining the key of a song, but is not perfect.
Some songs, like Ian Tyson's Four Strong Winds, end on the five chord, and some even end on the four chord.
The best way, if you don't have sheet music, is to find the note or chord that "sounds like home" or "gives you closure".

Chords work many times but not always. If you have the notation for the melody then the number of sharps or flats is the best indicator for key.
I have even seen this method fail for a song that was in Dorian scale 😂

I sort the chord names alphabetically and look for chord families; I, IV, V, or I iii-minor, vi-minor, etc.

A short cut is to look at the first verse for first and last chord in the first and second lines, then third and fourth lines. Typical chord patterns (disregarding intro chords, outro chords, colour chords and passing chords) are:
  • I to IV, I to V, repeat ending with I
  • I to IV, V to I, repeat
  • I to I, I to I7, IV to I, V7 to I (Johnny Cash)

Major keys have lots of major chords and minor keys have a lot of minor chords in the chord family.

Examples for I, IV, V/V7:
C: C, F, G
D: D, G, A
G: G, C, D
A: A, D, E

The key is often the last chord and/or the most frequently played chord in the main verses.

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom