Song Help Request What is Tweety singing in this cartoon?

mikelz777

Reaction score
In this cartoon segment Tweety is playing a ukulele and singing a song and I was trying to identify the song. Is it an actual song or something that was written specially just for this cartoon? The song appears from 3:59 to 4:21 in the video below. It sounds like it would be fun to play.

Last edited:
I didn't have much luck finding chords with lyrics. Chordify had a Danny Kaye version with just chords but I don't do well with that type of presentation, I like to see both chords and lyrics.

Here's the whole performance by tweety, he is playing a short intro on the Eb chord and starts singing the words "Hula Lou" on the Ab chord to the Eb to the Bb7 back to Ab repeat. You can probably get the words with a minimal of effort.

Last edited:
I didn't have much luck finding chords with lyrics. Chordify had a Danny Kaye version with just chords but I don't do well with that type of presentation, I like to see both chords and lyrics.
You’d better just play it and skip the lyrics. They border on raunchy!

You’d better just play it and skip the lyrics. They border on raunchy!
Those type of lyrics seemed to be a pretty common thing for songs from that era. I remember when I learned that "jellyroll" wasn't necessarily a pastry! Lyrics differ depending on the source. Ex. Oh how she used to shake her seaweed D's (or dees) and You ought to see me shake my BVD's. I know that BVD's are underwear but what the heck are seaweed D's/Dees? I can imagine what "D's" might be but why "seaweed D's"?

It's kind of funny that Tweety likes to sing bawdy songs!

Last edited:
Here's the whole performance by tweety, he is playing a short intro on the Eb chord and starts singing the words "Hula Lou" on the Ab chord to the Eb to the Bb7 back to Ab repeat. You can probably get the words with a minimal of effort.

Another outstanding performance by tweety, I am looking forward to the signature enya Tweety. I understand it is carbon fiber yellow with orange fretboard and the case is a gold birdcage

Those type of lyrics seemed to be a pretty common thing for songs from that era. I remember when I learned that "jellyroll" wasn't necessarily a pastry! Lyrics differ depending on the source. Ex. Oh how she used to shake her seaweed D's (or dees) and You ought to see me shake my BVD's. I know that BVD's are underwear but what the heck are seaweed D's/Dees? I can imagine what "D's" might be but why "seaweed D's"?

It's kind of funny that Tweety likes to sing bawdy songs!
We went to McMenamin's Olympic Club in Centralia, WA probably 16 or so years ago, and they had The Wiyos there as part of their Pacific Northwest Music series. That was the first time I'd been introduced to the concept of these bawdy songs, and they were so much fun to watch, because, of course, they really played up to that. It was a great performance. One of my favourite "alt meaning" songs is their "Lady Quit Her Husband Onexpectedly" with the line "you've got the right key, but the wrong keyhole" :ROFLMAO:

Here are the chords I'd use:

Her Name Was Hula LouDan Parker (performed by The Carolina Tar Heels and Milton Brown & His Musical Brownies)

"You can [C] talk all you want about [A7] women," said a [D7] sailor known as [G7] Dan Mc[C]Cann
"But if you want to know about [A7] women you got to [D7] talk to a sailor [G7] man
I [C] don't know how many [C7] I have met and there [F] isn't many [Cdim] I regret
But the [C] lady who gives me a [A7] trimmin' is a [D7] gal I can’t for[G7]get."

Her name was [F] Hula Lou, kinda gal that never [C] could be true
She did her dancin’ in the [G7] evenin’ breeze, beneath the trees
[C] Oh how she used to shake her [C7] BVDs (seaweed knees?)
I never [F] knew a man who wouldn't shoot at [C] Dan McGrew
And sail across the briny [G7] blue to woo a lady known as Hula [C] Lou [F] [C]

I’ve [F] travelled in and out, travelled back and forth
[C] Seen ’em in the south, seen ’em in the north
[G7] Seen ’em shakin' east and I’ve seen ’em shakin' west
[C] But she does the shakin' where the [C7] shakin’ is best
[F] Lotta hula smile, lots of hula hair
[C] Plenty hula here, plenty hula there
[G7] Got the cutest eyes, dunno what the shape they are
'Cause [C] lookin’ from the ground I never [C7] got that far

Her
name was [F] Hula Lou, kinda gal that never [C] could be true
[C] Oh how she used to shake her [C7] seaweed knees

Here are the chords I'd use:

Her Name Was Hula LouDan Parker (performed by The Carolina Tar Heels and Milton Brown & His Musical Brownies)

"You can [C] talk all you want about [A7] women," said a [D7] sailor known as [G7] Dan Mc[C]Cann
"But if you want to know about [A7] women you got to [D7] talk to a sailor [G7] man
I [C] don't know how many [C7] I have met and there [F] isn't many [Cdim] I regret
But the [C] lady who gives me a [A7] trimmin' is a [D7] gal I can’t for[G7]get."

Her name was [F] Hula Lou, kinda gal that never [C] could be true
[C] Oh how she used to shake her [C7] BVDs (seaweed knees?)

I’ve [F] travelled in and out, travelled back and forth
[C] Seen ’em in the south, seen ’em in the north
[G7] Seen ’em shakin' east and I’ve seen ’em shakin' west
[C] But she does the shakin' where the [C7] shakin’ is best
[F] Lotta hula smile, lots of hula hair
[C] Plenty hula here, plenty hula there
[G7] Got the cutest eyes, dunno what the shape they are
'Cause [C] lookin’ from the ground I never [C7] got that far

Her
name was [F] Hula Lou, kinda gal that never [C] could be true
[C] Oh how she used to shake her [C7] seaweed knees
I just realised that the changes to the part of this song are the common They're Red Hot, How Come You Do Me Like You Do?, Alice's Restaurant. . . changes. Now that I've played a bi with it, I like to do it this way with a few passing chords inserted:

"You can [C] talk all you (B) want a[Bb]bout [A7] women," said a [D7] sailor known as [G7] Dan Mc[C]Cann [G7]
"But [C] if you want to (B) know a[Bb]bout [A7] women you got to [D7] talk to a sailor [G7] man
But the [C] lady who (B) gives [Bb] me a [A7] trimmin' is a [D7] gal I can’t for[G7]get."

Top Bottom