what are you reading?

I just finished The Stranger by Harlan Coben. I'd consider Coben's books to be potato chip literature. They're not particularly good literature but they are sure tasty and enjoyable and it's pretty easy to devour a lot of them. He's good at thrillers, suspense and story twists. I've enjoyed his books in the past, I enjoyed this one and will read more in the future.
It's also a pretty good series on Netflix.

just read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt for
what must be the 3rd or 4th time. such a book.

then last week ate up Ali Smith's incredible novel, Hotel World.
what an imaginative playful writer she is. certainly my favourite of hers thus far,
though i've adored everything i've read by her. her writing style is utterly
unique. poetic. initially it can be a little intimidating and seem immutable
in some ways but i highly recommend her.

a couple of days ago i started The Year My Family Unravelled,
a heartbreaking memoir by Cynthia Dearborn. a raw and real and
extremely moving portrait of a daughter attempting to navigate her way
through the storm of having her mother diagnosed w/ terminal cancer
and her father's steady decline in the throes of dementia.
close to home.

🌻
I loved the Berendt book. Wow. Will check out the other two.

Currently reading a series of detective novels (they should be read in order) by Robert Galbraith that are very literate (not the usual run of garbage) and suspenseful. And guess who's the real author behind the pen name Robert Galbraith--no other than J. K. Rowling!

I just finished The Stranger by Harlan Coben. I'd consider Coben's books to be potato chip literature. They're not particularly good literature but they are sure tasty and enjoyable and it's pretty easy to devour a lot of them. He's good at thrillers, suspense and story twists. I've enjoyed his books in the past, I enjoyed this one and will read more in the future.
I love Harlan Coben. I've gobbled up everything he's written so far. I particularly like his hero Myron Bolitar.

Last edited:
I love Harlan Coben. I've gobbled uip everything he's written so far. I particularly like his hero Myron Bolitar.
I've read 6 of his books and own 3 more I haven't read yet. I'm currently reading Coben's, "The Woods". I keep a list in the notes on my phone (of him and other authors as well) so I know what I've read and what I already own so if I encounter more of his books that sound interesting at the thrift stores I'm not buying something I already read or already own. I learned my lesson with Michael Connelly's Bosch books when I bought duplicates 2-3 times. 😄

As mentioned in the Meditation thread, I just got Mindfulness for Beginners (Jon Kabat-Zinn).

I just finished "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains" (Nicholas Carr), which I really enjoyed. Even dug out some neurology books as I read it. Fascinating (to me, anyway) stuff. It was one of those books that I couldn't put down.

just started Lessons, by Ian McEwan.
the only other McEwan novel i'd read until now was Atonement, and that sure stayed w/ me; i even
i resisted seeing the film b/c i was worried it might compromise my deep feelings for the book
that i wanted to preciously guard. that novel was nigh on perfect
and this one - his most recent - 100+ pages in, looks very much like following in those footsteps.
you just know you're in safe hands. wonderful writing, beautifully structured,
i'm loathe to put it down.

Top Bottom