What’s your ukulele “hot take”?

I feel that. I bet I've seen less than 5 min. total of Jake's videos. I have almost zero interest in ukulele virtuosos. I have almost zero interest in just players who don't sing. There's something about technical perfection that lacks feeling and soul. I too find it boring. I rarely, if ever, actively seek out ukulele videos for the sake of entertainment. If I'm watching a ukulele video, 99.75 percent of the time it's a tutorial or I might listen to covers to get an idea of how I would/should play a song or parts of a song or learn a song I don't know.
I think it depends on the particular piece of music. There are some virtuoso pieces that sound incredibly vibrant and alive. Taimane Gardner has some bomb pieces that sound genuinely emotional rather than just an exercise in showing off.

I have a hot take which surely will trigger some. I just received a recommendation on youtube to watch a new Jake video of "sakura." I can think of nothing more boring than a Jake video. I have never watched an entire video of his. I often try and close the video after a minute or so because it is so boring. To be clear, he's flawless--he's great. But his perfection does not come anywhere near any of my heartstrings. It just leaves me cold.
I admire his skill and the discipline it took to get where he is at. But I also have very little interest in his music. I always felt that way about all the guitar shredders too. I do love Ohta San though.

I think it depends on the particular piece of music. There are some virtuoso pieces that sound incredibly vibrant and alive. Taimane Gardner has some bomb pieces that sound genuinely emotional rather than just an exercise in showing off.
First time I ever heard her was at one of her park concerts. It was her, a cajon player, a cellist and a guitarist. She was on her 5 string Kamaka. What a great combo. When she sang E Ala E with that accompaniment, it was chillingly good. Everyone in the whole park just stopped what they were doing and stared.

Whose ukulele world is it? The people who own the dictionaries, or the people who own the ukuleles?

Own your own ukulele world.

Another Hot Take for the thread.

Wear a hat and a loud shirt if you want to or a nice print frock or whatever makes you feel good when you hold your ukulele. Use whatever pronunciation for the labels you choose at the time according to the circumstances. Do whatever you choose with your ukulele, look at it, play with it, play it, keep it in the cupboard, it is your ukulele world. Expect others to respect your choices, apologise if you go overboard and tread on some toes, but expect others to respect your choices.

Every musical instrument has its population of owners who have conventions and foibles relating to the instrument. Ukulele owners are no different. We do not have to put up with a pigeon holed labelling convention foisted on us by marketing departments and dictionary editors, we can decide to have a fluid labelling convention or foible, based on context and situation. You are allowed to stop arguing about the right pronunciation and spelling and to just accept how others talk and pronounce words, instead of arguing form a duo or trio or group or band and belt out some tunes, and sing the lyrics as loud as you can.

I admire his skill and the discipline it took to get where he is at. But I also have very little interest in his music. I always felt that way about all the guitar shredders too. I do love Ohta San though.
I have always found shredding and dub-step completely tedious. It is funny but I was grousing about the last season of Stranger Things that privileged Metallica. When Metallica came on the scene, my peers and I abandoned current music and went back to the 70's and 60's in search of melodies and something beyond technical achievements. It was a win-win situation. Metallica received the money it was seeking and I found great music in the past. But to use Metallica, or Kate Bush, as some sort of Zeitgeist is erroneous.

I have always found shredding and dub-step completely tedious. It is funny but I was grousing about the last season of Stranger Things that privileged Metallica. When Metallica came on the scene, my peers and I abandoned current music and went back to the 70's and 60's in search of melodies and something beyond technical achievements. It was a win-win situation. Metallica received the money it was seeking and I found great music in the past. But to use Metallica, or Kate Bush, as some sort of Zeitgeist is erroneous.
I’ve never actually watched Stranger Things but I am aware of the whole Kate Bush/Metallica revival because of it. I’ve never been a fan of Metallica or metal for that matter, so I was thinking more like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, even Eddie Van Halen.

I have a very varied and eclectic taste when it comes to music. I can listen to a pretty big variety. If done well and true to the artists style it gets a listen. Some pieces obviously work better than others and everybody has their personal preferences. About the only genre I can't relate to is rap, and that is a matter of taste. I can listen to Metallica today and Nat King Cole the next, and anything in between. Roy Orbison, The Talking Heads, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, AC/DC, Abba, Hall and Oates, Iron Maiden, James Taylor, Steel Drum Bands, Ukulele, Banjo, Jazz, Country, Pop, Polka - you name it. All just examples that pop into my head. Many many more.

I’ve never actually watched Stranger Things but I am aware of the whole Kate Bush/Metallica revival because of it. I’ve never been a fan of Metallica or metal for that matter, so I was thinking more like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, even Eddie Van Halen.
Interesting. I love Metallica, VH. Grew up idolizing John Petrucci, Satch, Eric Johnson etc. I have zero interest in the likes of Feng E and Jake.

I do still love it when musicians jam over a song though. Martin Miller's session band is a fantastic blend of pop / rock medleys with technical playing.

Anyway, while I do enjoy strum and sing players, I feel like you need a damn good voice to hold my interest for long. Ariel McLeary is one of the few uke players that has done that for me.

My own 'Hot Take': I thoroughly enjoy playing the ukulele; there is little ukulele-made music I enjoy listening to, and contend that most group sing-and-strum-alongs are best left...experienced in the moment, without legacy footage.

I love when someone interprets a song in a creative way -- especially if I can learn and play it myself, because #enjoymentintheplaying...?
And there are may pieces of music of which I think, "That's so cool that he or she is playing that on a ukulele!" I also can appreciate when a ukulele or more adds contributing flavor to an ensemble.
But I seldom prefer the listening experience to other options.

There is almost no song in isolation of which I think, "You know what would sound even better? If it were played on a Ukulele."

Instrumental 'shredding' : I tend to become bored and wander off, but that's true with any instrument/vocalist/artist.

However: a well-interpreted ukulele piece will hook me, whether as instrumental or accompaniment.

Sam Muir, the member here who sang Keep Me In Your Heart with his Wunderkammer, etc.

My favorite to watch and listen to: @Brittni Paiva
Her integration of heart, mad skills, and artistry move me, often deeply.

~ S.

Other hot take of mine: Overly happy music is about as interesting as watching paint dry.

No, I'm serious - I understand this comes off as an overgrown mosher being edgy, but if a song is overly happy there's no conflict and resolution and therefore not much interesting going on.

what's with the person playing on the phone in the background?

Spieler said:
"My favorite to watch and listen to: @Brittni Paiva
Her integration of heart, mad skills, and artistry move me, often deeply."

As I was reading the above comments, that is exactly what I was thinking. I even went out to YouTube to play some of her music as I was reading the thread. She's amazing.

She is amazing. I love her rendition of Lights. Honestly like it more than the original.

My own 'Hot Take': I thoroughly enjoy playing the ukulele; there is little ukulele-made music I enjoy listening to, and contend that most group sing-and-strum-alongs are best left...experienced in the moment, without legacy footage.

I love when someone interprets a song in a creative way -- especially if I can learn and play it myself, because #enjoymentintheplaying...?
And there are may pieces of music of which I think, "That's so cool that he or she is playing that on a ukulele!" I also can appreciate when a ukulele or more adds contributing flavor to an ensemble.
But I seldom prefer the listening experience to other options.

There is almost no song in isolation of which I think, "You know what would sound even better? If it were played on a Ukulele."

Instrumental 'shredding' : I tend to become bored and wander off, but that's true with any instrument/vocalist/artist.

However: a well-interpreted ukulele piece will hook me, whether as instrumental or accompaniment.

Sam Muir, the member here who sang Keep Me In Your Heart with his Wunderkammer, etc.

My favorite to watch and listen to: @Brittni Paiva
Her integration of heart, mad skills, and artistry move me, often deeply.

~ S.

I agree 100%, Spieler... unfortunately I find when I do this... make a song my own and give a new take on an old favorite... it just irritates some people to no end! There is a reason that "Classic Rock" radio stations are more popular now than the "Rock" radio stations were back when this music was new... MOST people just want to hear the same song done exactly the same way OVER AND OVER... and over... again.

Hearing a well known song reinvented in a new way - and enjoying it - takes a degree of mental and emotional flexibility that many people just don't possess, and this has been studied and documented. It's sometimes called "The sushi phenomenon", due to the fact that most people will never enjoy sushi unless they experience it before the age of 28. For most of us, our brains just don't make deep and lasting connections to things we experience later in life... and for music the age line is even a bit younger than 28... We love the music we heard as we came of age during our teens and early twenties. For most of us, at least...

Actually, it's a bit of a miracle that Jake S was able to break through with a song so many of know by heart, While my guitar gently weeps, because our brains tend to reject something that is familiar but played in an unfamiliar way. On the other hand, movies and TV shows love to surprise us with a song we have not heard in a long time but presented in a new context... but played exactly the way we remember it! That is something we DO like... and the reason why movie soundtracks are often best sellers even though we already know and maybe even own all the songs included!

Woody Guthrie took familiar melodies and restructured them into new songs, and parlayed the tune to Good night, Irene into a number of new and very popular hits. Bob Dylan did the same thing with Woody's songs. This used to be known as the 'folk tradition' and can really work when all of the surrounding society is in a moment of transition as well, which was the case during the Great Depression and during the 1960's response to the Vietnam war era.

Weird Al has built an entire careen by doing this in a humorous way... although he keeps the music part identical... it's his personal super power. (Quick aside: I was part of the production crew when AL recorded his first two songs in the men's bathroom of the Cal Poly SLO journalism building in 1979... and none of us present saw this coming. We figured he would get a few plays on Dr. Demento and that would be it. Weird looking guy with an acordian as a major music star? Really? You ROCK, AL!)

Today? Not so much... reinterpreting music from the past in personal way is tricky to market. Once in a while some one manages to recreate a familiar song in such a unique and daring way that is is transformed into something fresh and wonderful... usually as a sample these days... but not that many people will want to hear it more than once. They will soon be back to radio stations or Pandora channels playing "ALL YOUR FAVORITE HITS FROM THE 60's, 70's and 80's", over and over again...

BTW: I started playing Running up that hill a few years ago, and it's a bit of a difficult nut to crack but in the end also rewarding to play on the Uke (or an Uke, depending) so give it a try sometimes. The rhythm and the singing are syncopated in a way that takes some effort to achieve. And people seem to enjoy hearing it because... we are familiar with it and first heard it at the age when we were more open to new music...

Last edited:
what's with the person playing on the phone in the background?
Right.

BTW: I started playing Running up that hill a few years ago, and it's a bit difficult nut also rewarding to play on the Uke (or an Uke, depending) so give it a try sometimes. The rhythm and the singing are syncopated in a way that takes some effort to achieve. And people seem to enjoy hearing it because... we are familiar with it and first heard it at the age when we were more open to new music...
Wow, thanks for all this-- lots to think about, and to maybe try!
Again, I do love to play, just not to... listen (so at least don't expect others to listen to me! ;)
[I recently added a Banjo Ukulele. That'll keep 'em away....]

Also BTW: I discovered Placebo's version of Running Up That Hill first, and far prefer it (possibly for reasons along the lines you delineate above?!). Of course, it was paired with the promo spot for a Gettysburg video, for which I am an easy mark....

Cheers!
~ S.

My hot take:
I know that some of you can tell right away what you think of a particular ukulele, but it takes me a long, long time, (unless it's obviously the wrong scale ukulele, or wrong neck, now that I have that part finally figured out.) I've had ukuleles that I thought were "the one" that I have since sold and don't miss. I've got some that I came close to selling, but now couldn't bear to part with. It takes me a while, (and often finding the "right" strings), to really bond with any ukulele, I guess.

Then again, I never know which of my ukuleles will be "the one" for the day. Yesterday's favorite might not be the one for me today. Maybe I'm fickle. But I think it has to do with what I'm playing, maybe things like the weather, (humidity levels? Does that impact sound?), and just enjoying variety.

When I really want to piss people off, I play a mash up... My fave is called 64 Jingle Bells, where I sing the holiday favorite Jingle Bells to the tune of the Beatles When I'm Sixty Four. Even my Junior High aged students can't stand that one... Mash-ups are a decidedly acquired taste, it seems!

Last edited:
Right.

Wow, thanks for all this-- lots to think about, and to maybe try!
Again, I do love to play, just not to... listen (so at least don't expect others to listen to me! ;)
[I recently added a Banjo Ukulele. That'll keep 'em away....]

Also BTW: I discovered Placebo's version of Running Up That Hill first, and far prefer it (possibly for reasons along the lines you delineate above?!). Of course, it was paired with the promo spot for a Gettysburg video, for which I am an easy mark....

Cheers!
~ S.
Exactly... I played in bands for many years, and it changed me in an unfortunate way... now, I want YOU to hear me play, but I'm not so hot in hearing YOU play. Unfortunately, I also expect people to LISTEN to me... The experience of spending all those hours on stage made it so I want to be the one on the stage.

Obviously, the experience gave me an oversized ego... It's something I've had to work through... And as you can see from my writing, I love sounding like I'm an authority figure... Another character flaw I try to pass off as a strength!

And BTW, yes: a banjolele will probably accomplish that...

OK- Next stop YT: Let's here what Placebo has done with R.U.T.H.

Top Bottom