What’s your ukulele “hot take”?

I totally agree with you, ubulele... Moveable shapes are the best way to play... if you can do them.
I am in Ubulele's corner on this as well. I do want to say one thing though: just because you play moveable shapes, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to play all the strings. I use moveable shapes 95% of the time, but I also don't play the G string at times. And there are some shapes like the major chord rooted on the C string where I always mute the A string.

My hot take: Does it really matter whether it's pronounced "You-kule-LEE" or "oo-kule-LAY"? Is the former along the same lines as "StAYtus" as in, "If one pronounces it as "stahtus", it's clear he/she doesn't have any of it"?
We say status where I live. Like stat-iss.

We say status where I live. Like stat-iss.
@donboody- My pronunciation analogy was lousy. As a result of the many kind responses from UU world, I now understand that, if ever I should travel to Hawaii and speak of said instrument, it’s a oo-koo-lei-lei. In all other settings, it’s a uke. Cheers!

I don’t completely disagree - I’m with you on quality instrument.

I would say, however, don’t let searching and/or saving for a Ukulele - or any instrument - stop you from getting something and enjoying that while you search/save.

If you buy used, you can usually get that money back. If you buy something a rung or two down from where you’ll eventually be, you likely won’t lose that much money. I personally consider it rent - how much would you pay to have something a few months while you experiment?

Sell it and get (most of) your money back or better yet, gift it to someone else.

Do you have a perhaps controversial or uncommon opinion on a ukulele topic?

I’ll start:

I think it’s better to save up for a nice, quality intermediate or higher tier uke than buy 7+ entry level Makalas, Lunas, Kalas, etc. of various sizes and varieties. Having a lot of different ukes is fun, and I get that they’re so much less expensive than guitars and many other instruments so collecting is fun and relatively cheap. But I’ve seen SO many people with collections who don’t seem to have a really quality mid-tier or higher uke in there (not really on this forum, but in a lot of the uke facebook groups) and once you get one it makes SUCH a difference. The sound and playability of a solid, well built instrument is such a huge motivation to practice and improve.

To boil it down, I’d rather have one Kamaka and play it all the time than 25 entry level ukes of all sizes, configurations, etc. (Coming from someone who can’t afford a Kamaka at the moment, btw…lol). But hey, no knock on people who wanna collect to their hearts content…!

There's too many people trying to teach how to play the ukulele on social media (YouTube / TikTok / Instagram / etc).
That might be a good thing if they all were teaching good ukulele skills. But I don't use these social media so can't comment if they were causing more harm than good.

Weighing in on the pronounciation debate with the CORRECT answer, thank you very much:

It's pronounced "Ucker-leal." That is all.

I think that a lot of players are so enthusiastic about playing ukes that they greatly overestimate the general population's interest in ukes. I'd imagine there's a lot of fantasy scenarios where all someone would have to do is see and hear one play a uke and suddenly they would be so enchanted that they would want to play too. (Despite my efforts, I don't think I've converted anyone!)

Last edited:
I think that a lot of players are so enthusiastic about playing ukes that they greatly overestimate the general population's interest in ukes. I'd imagine there's a lot of fantasy scenarios where all someone would have to do is see and hear one play a uke and suddenly they would be so enchanted that they would want to play too. (Despite my efforts, I don't think I've converted anyone!)
My wife would put it in far blunter but highly appropriate language, "Get over yourself" and "Stop letting Foster live rent-free in your head".

There's too many people trying to teach how to play the ukulele on social media (YouTube / TikTok / Instagram / etc).
It especially bothers me the number of guitar players/teachers who suddenly decided to give ukulele lessons. They all just jumped on a quarantine bandwagon and don't take it seriously. Just doing it for the clicks/views. Just because you can play one stringed instrument and understand some music theory doesn't make you a master of all stringed instruments. Yes, some of the same techniques apply as they are in the same kind of instrument family, but they're not by any means the same instrument. A ukulele is not a "toy guitar." Most of them don't even hold it/strum it right.
And some of the most popular ones are frankly very mediocre players...
There was one exceptionally popular teacher I came across in my early days of learning uke. I didn't particularly care for what they were teaching so I moved on to other lessons, but several months later I came back across one of their videos and realized just how simple their playing was. Basically just teaching a myriad of four chord songs with absolutely no complexity to their playing. Really odd that they're so popular. Maybe I should make a channel...

It especially bothers me the number of guitar players/teachers who suddenly decided to give ukulele lessons. They all just jumped on a quarantine bandwagon and don't take it seriously. Just doing it for the clicks/views. Just because you can play one stringed instrument and understand some music theory doesn't make you a master of all stringed instruments. Yes, some of the same techniques apply as they are in the same kind of instrument family, but they're not by any means the same instrument. A ukulele is not a "toy guitar." Most of them don't even hold it/strum it right.

There was one exceptionally popular teacher I came across in my early days of learning uke. I didn't particularly care for what they were teaching so I moved on to other lessons, but several months later I came back across one of their videos and realized just how simple their playing was. Basically just teaching a myriad of four chord songs with absolutely no complexity to their playing. Really odd that they're so popular. Maybe I should make a channel...
Yeah… once someone spends more time they realize how much magic some one like Herb Ohta San can extract from a thumb and occasional index finger and why Jake and James are who they are. That said a large number of players use the ukulele as a chord generator while singing and they don’t really need more than what these online teachers dumb down and sell on YouTube

...a large number of players use the ukulele as a chord generator while singing and they don’t really need more...
Regarding "play and sing" sessions, in solo or group.

Those who want to sing dream of being able to accompany themselves. The desire to get the timing right while singing along is a skill attainable at any playing level. A ukulele can introduce that joy.

Yeah… once someone spends more time they realize how much magic some one like Herb Ohta San can extract from a thumb and occasional index finger and why Jake and James are who they are. That said a large number of players use the ukulele as a chord generator while singing and they don’t really need more than what these online teachers dumb down and sell on YouTube
It is notable that those good players did not learn from videos but mainly from growing up in a ukulele community with many in-person teachers and mentors! It would be nice to have a global online community like this instead of the myriad of disconnected videos.

Top Bottom