Wear resistant fret material

ikimiki

Reaction score
Hi All,

Is there any variation in the quality (composition) of metal used in uke and guitar frets?

I'm hoping to avoid wearing a groove into the fret where a metal-wound string contacts the first, second, and third frets.

Any advice on what to look for / avoid? Are there premium brands that are virtually guaranteed to be best-of-breed?

There are variations on guitar frets. I’m guessing stainless frets will last longer.

Not sure of the long term impact of a wound nylon on frets. A lot of old ukuleles have no issue, but I think most of them are re-entrant tuning and use non-wound strings.

John

Be careful of what you wish for.
Stainless steel frets are available, yet they are so hard that they are difficult to work on with even diamond surfaced tools. Regular steel tools are of no use at all.

Yes it happens. I've had a fret replaced on one ukulele because of this kind of wear, and I have another than needs to be worked on.
The thing to be concerned about is that replacing and re-crowning regular soft metal frets is WAY easier than working on stainless steel frets which do exist.
If you talk to a luthier supplier, you may find something in the middle, yet then you also need to be concerned about getting the fret size right as well.

Yes it happens. I've had a fret replaced on one ukulele because of this kind of wear, and I have another than needs to be worked on.
The thing to be concerned about is that replacing and re-crowning regular soft metal frets is WAY easier than working on stainless steel frets which do exist.
If you talk to a luthier supplier, you may find something in the middle, yet then you also need to be concerned about getting the fret size right as well.

Would it be reasonable to expect a luthier to replace only 2 (maybe 3) frets with e.g. the Evo Gold fret wire?

Would it be reasonable to expect a luthier to replace only 2 (maybe 3) frets with e.g. the Evo Gold fret wire?
Well talk to some luthiers. As long as they can get the same sized wire in EVO Gold, and I'm not in a position to know, then I don't see why not.
If there's a difference in size which would require a LOT of fret dressing, then it might be a problem.
I've certainly had single frets replaced before with regular fret wire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom