Wanted: Opinions on first Flamenco Blanca

Neil_O

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a nice Flamenco guitar, and am pretty sure I want a Blanca (i think this generally means Spruce top and Cypress other sides). Does anyone know anything about Flamenco guitars or have one they wish to part with?

I've psudo-lusted for one but then got distracted. In the if-you-have-to-ask price range, Yamaha and Alhambra have offers as low as $500 range and are decent guitars as expected.
If you can branch out to other nylon, thinbody, low action guitars, then the Cordoba GK Studio is just great fun to play and could be mistaken for making flamenco guitar sounds, but can be picked up by an electric player really comfortably

I've psudo-lusted for one but then got distracted. In the if-you-have-to-ask price range, Yamaha and Alhambra have offers as low as $500 range and are decent guitars as expected.
If you can branch out to other nylon, thinbody, low action guitars, then the Cordoba GK Studio is just great fun to play and could be mistaken for making flamenco guitar sounds, but can be picked up by an electric player really comfortably
Thanks baconsalad. I'm on the verge of selling a few good instruments to get a really good flamenco guitar. I'm now focusing on finding a used Sevilla or Granada based luthier's creation but I'll still have a $ cap price, preferably $ or less. I can get a new one at that price near me but it's from Mexico and I really like the ridiculously pointy headstocks from the Andalucía region of Spain. I have a 1972 mid- grade classical guitar, but the action is so high on classicals that I rarely have fun with it.

I am not looking for one with friction pegs, but I like the appearance of the solid headstock on those for some reason.

Headstocks.jpg

Last edited:
I went thru a similar search... sold a (cheaper, japanese production model) classical with high action and thought I would focus on the uke.

Then an HMS episode featured a classical and a flamenco from Guitarras Romero which made me think I wanted a flamenco guitar. I was eyeing a bunch of different guitars from Guitar Salon.

I ended up wandering into a local classical guitar store in Seattle and chatted with the clerk there. He had me try a bunch of guitars, both classical and flamenco. The clerk even had me stand across the room and played the guitars for me to hear. First time that service was provided for me and I really appreciated it.

He mentioned that flamenco guitars are meant to be more percussive and brighter, to cut over the accompanying instruments, so dancers could hear you.

I mentioned the desire to have lower action, for improved playability and he found a few examples of classical that had lower action and still the great classical sound that I was looking for. It also happened to be from a local Seattle luthier who is just starting building, as more of a hobbyist, so his work is meticulous but fairly priced! It felt and sounded right to me and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I just can't wait for it to age and continue to open up.

I don't know if a similar shop is available to you in The Bay, but maybe try Gryphon in Palo Alto. Aside from getting to feel some guitars, maybe you can ask some questions from experts and get pointed in the right directions.

They have some great ukes available there too! A cedar Kanilea and a Kinnard consigned by a fellow UU'er!

I went thru a similar search... sold a (cheaper, japanese production model) classical with high action and thought I would focus on the uke.

Then an HMS episode featured a classical and a flamenco from Guitarras Romero which made me think I wanted a flamenco guitar. I was eyeing a bunch of different guitars from Guitar Salon.

I ended up wandering into a local classical guitar store in Seattle and chatted with the clerk there. He had me try a bunch of guitars, both classical and flamenco. The clerk even had me stand across the room and played the guitars for me to hear. First time that service was provided for me and I really appreciated it.

He mentioned that flamenco guitars are meant to be more percussive and brighter, to cut over the accompanying instruments, so dancers could hear you.

I mentioned the desire to have lower action, for improved playability and he found a few examples of classical that had lower action and still the great classical sound that I was looking for. It also happened to be from a local Seattle luthier who is just starting building, as more of a hobbyist, so his work is meticulous but fairly priced! It felt and sounded right to me and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I just can't wait for it to age and continue to open up.

I don't know if a similar shop is available to you in The Bay, but maybe try Gryphon in Palo Alto. Aside from getting to feel some guitars, maybe you can ask some questions from experts and get pointed in the right directions.

They have some great ukes available there too! A cedar Kanilea and a Kinnard consigned by a fellow UU'er!
There's a shop in Campbell that offers a lot of instruments on Craigslist. I'd like to visit them: Fine Fretted String Instruments

I tried some models at Music Instrument Exchange in Berkeley and I definitely want something nicer than a Cordoba. They have Mexican and American blancas.

There's a shop in Campbell that offers a lot of instruments on Craigslist. I'd like to visit them: Fine Fretted String Instruments

I tried some models at Music Instrument Exchange in Berkeley and I definitely want something nicer than a Cordoba. They have Mexican and American blancas.
Fine Fretted in Campbell was not to my taste. None of their guitars sounded better than my Goodwill-find classical, even the $3000 options. At $2000 or less, Randy only showed three or four instruments.
Maybe I just don't have a developed ear.

Also, they post on Craigslist every day with deceptive prices. On to my next hope, Marc Silber in Berkeley.

Top Bottom