Vivarium: initially great, but degenerated into a pile of crap

Voran

Reaction score
I just saw Vivarium, and I was irrationally annoyed at how badly the director had managed to botch what could have been a viscerally thrilling story.

It started off very well done, ironically enough. Very good use of the uncanny valley. Everything was creepy but in a subtle way, very intelligently done. You don't know quite what bothers you until you realize how odd it is for a grown man to realistically mimic a woman's voice. The aquamarine tint on everything. The clouds that look...like a child's drawing of a cloud, rather than an actual cloud.

And then the storyline ended up being nothing much. No buildup to anything much, no climax at the end, no...anything. Just more and more monotony. Aliens were briefly introduced, but never really explained.

I hope it will someday be remade. It honestly started off so fascinating, and I was looking forward to the rest of the story.

"Initially great, but degenerated into a pile of crap"

Sounds like a realistic depiction of life.

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow-------------------

"Initially great, but degenerated into a pile of crap"

Sounds like a realistic depiction of life.

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow-------------------
When I was a teenager I thought the ideal life cycle was to die in a motorbike crash aged 27. I don't know why I picked 27.

I still think there's something to it, but on the other hand, I enjoy playing my various ukuleles too much...(31 almost 32 now)

I rode motorcycles for fifty years and for seven of those years I raced on circuits all over England and a couple in Wales, too. I gave fate plenty of opportunity to snuff me out, but it just didn't happen for me. Looks like I'll have to die in bed, after all.

I rode motorcycles for fifty years and for seven of those years I raced on circuits all over England and a couple in Wales, too. I gave fate plenty of opportunity to snuff me out, but it just didn't happen for me. Looks like I'll have to die in bed, after all.
Very similar story here. But, I was young, stupid, drinking, and riding motorcycle. I have no idea how I lived through it. The ghost of James Dean haunts me.

I was the world's most reckless teenager. Speeding was my hobby. I was supposed to be practising for my driving test, and then I'd get tempted to go a bit too fast, and the hot adrenaline felt good in my bloodstream, and I'd end up driving at Mach 2 around narrow, winding country roads.

I gave that up very fast after I almost mowed someone down, and crashed into a ditch in my desperate attempts not to splatter the poor local computer technician and his wife all over the road. Poor Mike and poor wife. She was so forgiving about it, lol. Hugged me while I shuddered and hyperventilated and apologized profusely for being such an idiot. She said 'don't worry about it, we were all Neanderthals when we were teens.'

Top Bottom