Vintage Martin Style 0 dating

NAFIGATOR

Reaction score
I recently obtained (almost by accident) a vintage Style 0 Martin soprano and I am trying to date it. I am aware the exact dating is unavailable due to absence of a serial number. I am also aware of basics: the uke has contemporary frets, thus it's post WWII production and the stamp inside doesn't have "made in USA", thus it's before '61. But is there a way to narrow the production year even more? I am just curios. Thanks.

P.S. The second image is just for viewing pleasure. This uke against my beloved early '20s Martin Style 1. Actually the sound almost exactly the same. :)

Attachments

• martin_uke1.jpg
    martin_uke1.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 20
  • martin_uke2.jpg
    martin_uke2.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 19
Pics of the tuners can be helpful to narrow it down a little further

Pics of the tuners can be helpful to narrow it down a little further
Thank you for a response. Here is an image, but I don't think it will help as tuners seem to be contemporary replacements. Speaking of which, I would love to find a set of original tuners if that's possible.

Attachments

• martin_uke3.jpg
    martin_uke3.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 16
Those look like modern Ping replacement tuners https://www.amazon.com/Ping-P2698-Ukulele-Tuning-Machines/dp/B000EEJDH8

I experimented with them, among other frictions, on a non-original 20s Martin, before switching to all black UPTs. IMO, seeing the original tuners would provide the answer, '47-56 would have been the Kluson Keystone/Tulip tuners, with hex nut Waverlies after that, into the 60s. My pic below shows the Pings I tried, with one Grover 6 style, which was substantially bigger. A whole set of those black Grovers just looked too big.

Your headstock shape looks like post '47, straighter sides than the earlier ones, with an earlier outward flare above the nut. I always think the older headstocks look cute and pudgy, by comparison. My guess is yours is '47 to early 60s, when the Made In USA stamp was added. Enjoy it!

ebay tuners5.jpg
Martin 30s and 50s headstocks.jpg

Last edited:
Without the original tuners, it's most likely impossible to date it more precisely.
I would guess those Ping tuners have left marks into the finish, where the base ring meets the headstock, and these will be hard to cover since they are larger than the orginals.
Perhap

The Waverly pegs are really great quality and look like those on the old early Martins. They are smaller than other modern tuners and really look the part on a vintage Martin

Last edited:
Do these look like they may be original tuners for the ukulele in the subject? Or at least period correct?

Attachments

• uketuners.jpg
    uketuners.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 12
Do these look like they may be original tuners for the ukulele in the subject? Or at least period correct?
Mine look different. Mine has no USA and is before the hexagonal nut. (Ukecaster:'47-56 would have been the Kluson Keystone/Tulip tuners') Yours has a wide ferrule, so it looks like an aftermarket to me.

Keystone.jpg

Thank you. I guess these "tulip" tuners are the ones I should hunt for :)

Thank you. I guess these "tulip" tuners are the ones I should hunt for :)
With all due respect, don't do it, tulip tuners suck, I've had them twice on vintage Martins. If you want vintage period-correct, the late 50s Waverly hex nut are much better, IMO. I may have a set in the drawer; if interested I can check.

Last edited:
Sure, I would love a set if it's not cost prohibitive for me. Please take a look and let me know. Thank you.

Here they are. FYI, the bushings for the top holes are 6.8mm, so if your holes are smaller, you may need to ream the top holes a bit, just until you can ease them in with a "press fit", where they are snug, and won't fall out. Of course, if your holes are smaller, and you are adverse to any mods, they might not meet your needs. I'll probably never use em, so if interested, PM me, as no selling is allowed here. They were replacements that came off a 20s Style 0, but are obviously much later, prob late 50s or 60s, no way to know.

Attachments

• 20230327_201043.jpg
    20230327_201043.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230327_201450.jpg
    20230327_201450.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Top Bottom