Show us your ukes!

Any idea why the nicer wood always seems to be reserved for the back?
I don't know whether quilted maple makes a good soundboard - that might be a Luthiers' Lounge kinda question? I've seen it a lot as a wood for back & sides.

ETA - plus this is your Pops WOW right? I think he does the softwood tops for those?

I don't know whether quilted maple makes a good soundboard - that might be a Luthiers' Lounge kinda question? I've seen it a lot as a wood for back & sides.

ETA - plus this is your Pops WOW right? I think he does the softwood tops for those?
Yeah, spruce top on mine.

I had considered maybe it isnt a great soundboard, but i was also curious about ukes that are comprised of the same type of wood on front and back, but the nicer is on the back. You're right tho, prob a LL question.

Gonna barge on in here with a quick snapshot of my mahogany soprano line up. I mostly play Tin Pan Alley and pre-war blues and novelty songs, and mahogany sopranos naturally fit the bill. All four get rotation. The early '50s Favilla is the loudest and barking-est. The same era Martin is less raw than the Favilla and has the same vintage vibe with a more balanced and sophisticated presentation. The Kiwaya has less of the vintage vibe but I would fairly say is the best sounding instrument of the bunch. The S1 cost considerably less than the others but truly holds its own in this pack, giving me a authentic-tone mahogany soprano that I can be less careful with.

I have other ukes made from different materials and in different sizes. They are all fun to play, but the soprano hogs get the most attention!

Attachments

• hogs.jpg
    hogs.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Top Bottom