'Ukulele Mike' Lynch Tribute Videos

Hey, Lapyang. Very nice! I like the way you added percussion to your playing. Well done! -Kevin

I’m enjoying this thread very much. I don’t record myself but I do have some memories to share. I’d bought Mike’s books and watched his videos before my husband and I took an Ukulele cruise in 2013, we repeated in 2015. We got to know Mike and his wife (a fellow quilter). We were newish to playing and learned so much. Mike had so much to offer for every song, variations we could add for any song to make them “special”.

He taught us the formation of a 12 bar blues and then gave us homework to write one for the next day. You should have seen all of us panicked adults. Yes, he wrote those Chord Melodies for high g but he said to just move the g to E string 3rd fret. That’s what I do. Mike had an incredible finger stretch - - an octave on piano so some stuff is hard. In Akaka Falls you barre the 5th fret and add your pinky on 12th fret 1st string. Never could get it on my tenor although Mike played it with ease.

I’ve enjoyed remembering. Mike taught me so much. Seems folks are always asking”where did you get that?” and the answer is Mike showed me That”.

Thanks for keeping the tribute going

Nicely played. This is the first time I hear a Bruce Wei voice!
You have developed your own style ! Bravo!
I like that strap and the extension leather piece. :eek:
Lovely performance!

Thanks Brenda. Amazon is amazing. The strap and leather piece arrived in 2 days.

Hey, Lapyang. Very nice! I like the way you added percussion to your playing. Well done! -Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I tried to keep things interesting.

I’m enjoying this thread very much. I don’t record myself but I do have some memories to share. I’d bought Mike’s books and watched his videos before my husband and I took an Ukulele cruise in 2013, we repeated in 2015. We got to know Mike and his wife (a fellow quilter). We were newish to playing and learned so much. Mike had so much to offer for every song, variations we could add for any song to make them “special”.

He taught us the formation of a 12 bar blues and then gave us homework to write one for the next day. You should have seen all of us panicked adults. Yes, he wrote those Chord Melodies for high g but he said to just move the g to E string 3rd fret. That’s what I do. Mike had an incredible finger stretch - - an octave on piano so some stuff is hard. In Akaka Falls you barre the 5th fret and add your pinky on 12th fret 1st string. Never could get it on my tenor although Mike played it with ease.

I’ve enjoyed remembering. Mike taught me so much. Seems folks are always asking”where did you get that?” and the answer is Mike showed me That”.

This is a lovely story, thanks for sharing.

It has been a while since the last video posted by Kevin. I think a new video is overdue.

Blowing in the Wind, based on Ukulele Mike's arrangement, played on a Bruce Wei Hummingbird Concert, Aquila Sugar strings.

Very nicely played Joseph. I like the idea you are now making the music your own, very important! Your playing is improving dramatically by each video and I sense a greater confidence in your playing. You are a great example of why we should record ourselves. It is the best tool for improving ones playing. No hiding......it is there in front of us! Excellent!!!!

quiltingshirley..........Very lovely story. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Mike

OK, one more story.

The four or us were sharing a table for lunch one day and I was telling him how much I’ve enjoyed the videos — how well, they’re done.
He said he always tried to use a setting that would compliment the song. Use his backyard, the nearby water etc. He recorded using the record on his camera, nothing fancy. One day he was recording in the backyard a fitting song, can’t think of the title now, and the Blue Angels started practicing overhead. (Navy air team) it’d be quiet and then the jets would come roaring over. He just kept recording. Later when he was adding in the chord labels like he did he decided bird sounds might help against the jets. When you hear that tutorial you’ll certainly notice both the jets and birds. I think, I might have asked him about all those birds in his backyard.
I was shocked he could record himself on a regular camera and sound and look so good. Talent.
Shirley

Very nicely played Joseph. I like the idea you are now making the music your own, very important! Your playing is improving dramatically by each video and I sense a greater confidence in your playing. You are a great example of why we should record ourselves. It is the best tool for improving ones playing. No hiding......it is there in front of us! Excellent!!!!

quiltingshirley..........Very lovely story. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Mike

Thanks for your praise. Video recording really is a huge motivator.

OK, one more story.

The four or us were sharing a table for lunch one day and I was telling him how much I’ve enjoyed the videos — how well, they’re done.
He said he always tried to use a setting that would compliment the song. Use his backyard, the nearby water etc. He recorded using the record on his camera, nothing fancy. One day he was recording in the backyard a fitting song, can’t think of the title now, and the Blue Angels started practicing overhead. (Navy air team) it’d be quiet and then the jets would come roaring over. He just kept recording. Later when he was adding in the chord labels like he did he decided bird sounds might help against the jets. When you hear that tutorial you’ll certainly notice both the jets and birds. I think, I might have asked him about all those birds in his backyard.
I was shocked he could record himself on a regular camera and sound and look so good. Talent.
Shirley

Thanks for another lovely story. The memories of Mr. Lynch continue to live in the ukulele community.

Thank you for sharing your memories with Mike Lynch. Come January , he will be gone for a year. Time sure files. I hope there will be more videos and more tributes on this thread . Thank you Lapyang and GoodUkeBoy for always posting videos to keep it alive.

Mike wrote a song for this: I think it was called “Four little Strings”. I don’t know if he did a tutorial but it’s quite nice and not too difficult. He released it with music staff.

With Just Four Strings in C with musical staff and marked chords. Had to locate in my iBooks to give you the right title.

Last edited:
Next month is the 1st anniversary of Mr Lynch death. I like to add a video here to boost this thread for Christmas month. Thank you for watching.

Next month is the 1st anniversary of Mr Lynch death. I like to add a video here to boost this thread for Christmas month. Thank you for watching.

Great job, Brenda ... Nice sustain and tonal colour on your LFDM.

Where did the last 12 months go! What a year & what a great video to commemorate the 1st Anniversary of Mike's passing, well done Brenda :D

Last edited:

Lovely playing Brenda. I like the way that you are making the timing flow with the tune..............That Ukulele sounds fantastic!
Mike

Mike and Campbell
I hope both of you find time to do another video here
It has been a year. I think Mr Lynch left the ukulele world on January 8

Mike and Campbell
I hope both of you find time to do another video here
It has been a year. I think Mr Lynch left the ukulele world on January 8

If it is a year on January the 8th........then that may be a good time to post!
Mike

Top Bottom