'Uke Like the Pros' courses

Ralph Shaw is a terrific player and a decent teacher. His newsletters (https://ralphshaw.ca/newsletter/) are also excellent and often revered on this site. I can't comment on the DVD course but he has a few free YouTube tutorials that are worth a look. I like his style a lot, fantastic guy and always cheers me up.
Thanks clear and Dohle for those links. Just ordered his strumming DVD and signed up for the newsletter.

Matt Stead from the UK. He has both a YouTube channel and a teaching/resource website. His free beginner series on YouTube starts from really basic stuff and gets you to some advanced beginner and intermediate concepts ... for free. He's very patient, descriptive, deliberate, and understandable. And if you want to pursue group or one-to-one learning, for fees, there are those options.
I've just begun watching Matt's videos, thanks for the recommendation. He's so engaging and he covers all the little technical bits. I've picked up a few things I should have learned back when I started!

I've just begun watching Matt's videos, thanks for the recommendation. He's so engaging and he covers all the little technical bits. I've picked up a few things I should have learned back when I started!
You described it in such a way that now you have to go and see what is so engaging there 😆
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The power of music can heal any wound. I write songs and short stories for my kids and help students at https://edubirdie.com/plagiarism-free-essays to improve their text. Proud owner of a small bamboo Uke.

Last edited:
You described it in such a way that now you have to go and see what is so engaging there 😆

…and the chain reaction continues, you drew my attention to HangOnASecond’s reply and then I had to go see too…

Wow!!! After the video on how to strum, I can see why people like these! I think this is going to be my main beginner course (even if I have to transpose for baritone). All those important little details for things like getting the best sound and not hurting my finger, the little wrist motion like shaking off water, the option of reinforcing the finger with the thumb… this is exactly what I needed!

He has an amazing gift for teaching and explaining things. And the videos are somehow really pleasant and appealing and low-stress. I learn a lot but don’t feel overwhelmed, and I want to go back for more.

(For anyone dropping intro this thread partway through, the course in question is Matt Stead’s beginner ukulele course, not the Uke Like the Pros course in the subject line. The latter might also be a good course (I haven’t tried it), I just want to be clear which one this post is about.)

Last edited:
I bought two ULTP courses when I first started not long ago. I've worked in video production at a couple of jobs asking the way going back from the late 70s to last year of and on, and Terry's production values really are way ahead of just about everyone else ...but I am afraid that I didn't care for the lessons at all. AT ALL. I really tried to get my money's worth, but every time I tried again, it just made me more certain that I needed to go another way. Everybody's looking for something different, and obviously Terry's approach works for some people. Mileage varies, etc

There are quite a few YT folks I follow, and a few I support on Patreon, but I hadn't come across Matt Stead before you mentioned him, @WebParrot (s2). You mentioned his beginner stuff since that's what OP is looking for, but I've been looking for the next steps myself, and boy, does Matt have it in spades! After the 31 beginner videos are 24 Next Step vids, 26 Intermediate, 21 on jazz standards chord melody style, and 31 more on music theory.... and that nowhere near all. Most of these are 15-20 minutes each. Some are longer (48 minutes on strumming like Jake), so there's acres is stuff for beginners AND folks like me looking for what's next.

I just started watching them today, and I'm very, very impressed! Thanks so much for telling us about him! I'm definitely going to be digging in here! When I was at the university, I had a difficult curriculum, but I managed to graduate with honors from the university. It helped me that I systematized all the materials for study well. For example, when we studied literature for writing about Macbeth we used https://papersowl.com/examples/macbeth/ For studying music, I also had a selection of study materials and video essays from famous teachers. Therefore, I think that I have some experience and I will try to describe it here.

Personally, I tried to study with video lessons, but I do not have enough motivation. I don't know why, but video tutorials are not suitable for me, I need a dialogue with the teacher, so my academic performance is better. And no matter how much time or money I can spend on a video course, motivation does not improve from this (((

Last edited:
Personally, I tried to study with video lessons, but I do not have enough motivation. I don't know why, but video tutorials are not suitable for me, I need a dialogue with the teacher, so my academic performance is better. And no matter how much time or money I can spend on a video course, motivation does not improve from this (((

It's good to know your learning style - video lessons aren't the best option for everyone.

Are you able to afford one-on-one lessons with a teacher?

Or if not, maybe you could find a "study buddy" to work through a video course with, if that interaction might provide you some of the same motivation? Meet every few days (in person or on Zoom), watch a course video together, play together for a bit to try out the concepts from the video? You are definitely not the only person to have trouble with video courses, so you'd probably be able to find other people who'd be interested in an arrangement like that.

That's what I found as well. There has to be another human involved. You need a coach, someone who can do what you want to do and then you need to foster that connection with the other person so that your shame/guilt motivates you not to let that other person down by not doing what they expect you to do. At least that's my experience. Other people may be motivated by other things, but I found that the peer pressure of a coach is the supreme motivator.

I'm not a fan of Uke... Pro's ( you can perform UU searches on your own and find many pro and con experiences ) so I'll only speak to your search for beginner courses. I've tried many many and found one in particular that really matches the patience I require :)

Matt Stead from the UK. He has both a YouTube channel and a teaching/resource website. His free beginner series on YouTube starts from really basic stuff and gets you to some advanced beginner and intermediate concepts ... for free. He's very patient, descriptive, deliberate, and understandable. And if you want to pursue group or one-to-one learning, for fees, there are those options.

This link is to his Beginner's Playlist that ranges from 5 to 25 minutes lessons/introductions.

When I was a student, I often asked on the website https://writemypapers4me.net/do-my-homework-cheap/ please do my homework, I wish I could learn to play the ukulele that way)))

Among other things, he sells his instruction books and mid to high end ukes from his "The UkeRoom.com"
Totally agree with you, I'm new to this and I recently watched Matt's Quick Tips completely by accident. I found them really useful and I found his tutorials on YouTube. I can't find the time to start yet, but his tutorials look very convincing. I hope the 30 tutorials for beginners will help me )))

Last edited:
That's what I found as well. There has to be another human involved. You need a coach, someone who can do what you want to do and then you need to foster that connection with the other person so that your shame/guilt motivates you not to let that other person down by not doing what they expect you to do. At least that's my experience. Other people may be motivated by other things, but I found that the peer pressure of a coach is the supreme motivator.
The struggle is real. My solution with childhood piano lessons was to quit when my mother finally allowed me too. Then she was puzzled why I continued to play without lessons afterwards. My motivation was to master a song that I liked, no matter how long or how repetitious. I might have worked over a year on two measures from "The Entertainer", including replaying the LP many times to get its phrasing to be what I desired.

So no coach for me. But I still try to get the phrasing correct with an ukulele as great motivation.

this thread is bringing back some memories for me. When I was younger, my coach was this hot lady in the 80's resplendent with banana clips and mini skirts and mascara. My goal was to play so well that she would take me to the back room and give me the real lessons about love, life, and the rest of it. It never happened, but that was my motivation. You need to find what works for you

This thread came up on a Google search for reviews of Ukulele Corner Academy. I just got an email with a 30% off coupon good 'til the end of the weekend. I like that the focus seems to be on finger style and Classical music, and that he advertises a "structured curriculum of study." As a classically trained flutist, both structure and Classical music appeal to me.

Top Bottom