Toots Thielemans Centenary

Great musician.

FWIW- last Friday was Charles Mingus 100th!

Saw him live in new York in the mid-80s, great stuff.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 16 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 40)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Toots was mostly known as a master of the chromatic harmonica, but he was also a wonderful guitar player. His trademark was whistling in unison with his guitar improvisations. One of my favourite LPs is a Toots album I got in high school, before I realised that he also played harmonica, called The Whistler & His Guitar. He was one of Quincy Jones's first calls when he did a movie sound track.

Yeah, I liked him too. I’ve got at least one of his harp CDs and one of his books. I don’t play Chromatics, though I have some, but he sure could. Seems like a long time ago now, but then everything does.

One of the best for sure. His whistling and guitar skills are indeed famous, but his harmony singing was also first rate.

Top Bottom