Tooting the Flute Too.

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
Since I quit playing my Baroque Flute, I’ve taken up the concert flute again. Now my embouchure is pretty strong, and fingering has come back to me. I really enjoy playing wind instruments better than strings. I just never really got into them. The battle continues though.

I played my Alto Flute last night and had a great session. It seems a lot easier to play, and I like the sound of it better. I played outta my classical music book.

I played one of my wooden piccolos today, and it was a ball until my lip gave out. When one plays wind instruments he/she hasta keep up the embouchure, or it’s no go. Anyway, I had a good time.

Well, I played my flute the other night without any embouchure trouble, but I find I’m kinda tired of it lately. I’ve been playin’ it for a long time.

Now, I’d been thinkin’ of giving the oboe a try (pretty similar fingering) for a long time, so I priced some at different places, and, WOW! are they expensive. Most are in the $2000 to $4000 range and even much more. Even the “student” ones cost a bunch.

I guess the oboe’s not my cup of tea, I don’t like havin‘ to mess with those reeds anyway.

Well, I got out my flute yesterday and played a while. I did all right with it and had a good time. My embouchure was a bit weak of course, but I remembered all the fingering and some of the old tunes. It was a nice change and an escape from all those darned chords. I think I’ll play it again today.

Well, I got out my flute yesterday and played a while. I did all right with it and had a good time. My embouchure was a bit weak of course, but I remembered all the fingering and some of the old tunes. It was a nice change and an escape from all those darned chords. I think I’ll play it again today.
It's neat you have gone back to concert flute and are enjoying it. I started my band days with flute in 1973. After getting to Jr High, i switched to alto saxophone. I continued with band through HS, and loved it, especially Marching and Jazz Band. I can see your love of going back to it. I now get my wind instrument "fix" with my Native American Flutes.

It's neat you have gone back to concert flute and are enjoying it. I started my band days with flute in 1973. After getting to Jr High, i switched to alto saxophone. I continued with band through HS, and loved it, especially Marching and Jazz Band. I can see your love of going back to it. I now get my wind instrument "fix" with my Native American Flutes.
Yeah, I think wind instruments are a lot more fun (for me) than strings. I’ve played all the brass ones, and I have lots of flutes and whistles. Strings just seem to be a lot of work and struggle, though I do enjoy my Irish banjo and my mandolins. I guess I’m lucky to have had so much enjoyment with my music in my long life.

Yeah, I think wind instruments are a lot more fun (for me) than strings. I’ve played all the brass ones, and I have lots of flutes and whistles. Strings just seem to be a lot of work and struggle, though I do enjoy my Irish banjo and my mandolins. I guess I’m lucky to have had so much enjoyment with my music in my long life.
It's all about having fun with music! I have enjoyed my string instruments since 1973, still do 100%. But there's always a place in my life for the flutes. Good for you! (y) :)

I had a really good time with my Alto Flute. It’s a lot easier to play than the concert flute. I like its lower pitch too. I played a little from my Bach book, and then I played a bunch of Scottish songs.

Top Bottom