Tones too low on higher frets

Joralin

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

There is something I noticed among several ukes and I wonder what causes this and how to fix it.

The intonation at the first couple frets is good, but the more I move on the fretboard the less good it gets.

I seen some bad built ukes where the frets were not at the right position, but this is not the case here.

On the bad ukes the tone were usually in the + cents. The ukes that have this problem now are in the - cent area.

I see this happen a lot when the saddle has been trimmed down, but that's not always the case.

The saddles are mostly compensated as much as possible, so no room to fix it that way...

Has someone a explanation for this and maybe a solution?

If the intonation is going flat, the further up the neck you play, then the most likely culprit is too much saddle compensation.
Not enough saddle compensation with the intonation going sharp, is the common problem, yet its a fine balancing act, and by the sound of it, yours has gone too far.
If you have room to file the saddle contact point forwards towards the frets, then this is something to try.

What is the nominal scale length of your instrument and what is the measurement from inside the nut to the saddle contact point?

Top Bottom