Timber vs Kala quick comparo

Jim Hanks

Reaction score

Reactions: tm3
Nice job! What determines the choice of a solid body UBass like those two vs an acoustic UBass? Until I saw this I thought it was different strings but that solid body Kala has the Pahoehoes just like an acoustic (I think).

Nice job! What determines the choice of a solid body UBass like those two vs an acoustic UBass? Until I saw this I thought it was different strings but that solid body Kala has the Pahoehoes just like an acoustic (I think).
Yes, same strings, so it is mostly personal preference. If you want any acoustic sound, then your choice is obvious. String choice could also affect your body choice as the Kala solid bodies are not recommended to use metal strings (although many players ignore that recommendation).

Yes, same strings, so it is mostly personal preference. If you want any acoustic sound, then your choice is obvious. String choice could also affect your body choice as the Kala solid bodies are not recommended to use metal strings (although many players ignore that recommendation).
Thanks for the explanation! I had just assumed that solid body UBasses used metal strings but obviously not correct.

Thanks for the explanation! I had just assumed that solid body UBasses used metal strings but obviously not correct.
Ironically, the Kala acoustics have a broader recommended string selection than the solids. If you look back for some of kohanmike's posts here, you can see that metal strings can be used on solid bodies, although you might be "voiding your warranty" depending on the model.

Ironically, the Kala acoustics have a broader recommended string selection than the solids. If you look back for some of kohanmike's posts here, you can see that metal strings can be used on solid bodies, although you might be "voiding your warranty" depending on the model.
I actually don't understand why they limit the solid bodies, which uses string through and in my opinion is that much stronger through a thicker area than an acoustic. I have flatwound nylon core and steel core on my solid body bass ukes with no issues at all.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I dont get it either, but I spoke directly to Kala customer service about it. That's their story and they're sticking to it. 🤷‍♂️ Now that I have the Timber I have no need to test the Kala with flats. I would like to try the new Browns at some point - if they ever get a U.S. distributor for them. I ain't paying $85 to get a set shipped from Italy. 😲

Top Bottom