Thinking about upgrading my Cordoba 15tm.

keithfavara

Reaction score
So I am looking to upgrade a bit...was eyeballing a kala ka-srt-ctg-c for around 360 dollars including shipping. The cutaway version got a really good score on the gotauke website and it sounded really nice, but this would not have the cutaway or electronics. Don't need them so that doesn't matter to me. The problem is I like my Cordoba 15tm and think it sounds good too. I don't think it's quiet and the notes seem to sustain decently. I can't pay my hands on this Kala and 260 dollars might not be alot to some people, but that ain't me. It's not going to kill me but just tossing it away on a uke that might not be better would not be good at all. I honestly care about the sound more than the looks ..so volume, tone and I guess sustain too. I know it looks like on paper that the kala should sound better, but just wanted to see if someone can confirm this. The 260 sounds like a good price for that Kala. Let me know what you think ok?? Thanks everyone!

Do you have the $260 in hand? If so and it didn’t take years to get it you might want to wait until you get twice that.
A $500+ ukulele will be a huge improvement over what you have now compared to a $260 ukulele.

A $500+ ukulele will be a huge improvement over what you have now compared to a $260 ukulele.
I agree with this assessment. The Kala is likely a small incremental improvement over your Cordoba, MAYBE. There is an equal chance that you will find them equal or your Cordoba to be preferred. The $250 range is somewhat a beginner entry category for many, especially since the $100 or less will often get you a poor model. But your Cordoba sounds like a good one and when you are ready for a better one, skip the $250 to $400 price range. Or consider a used model here where you pay the depreciated price for a better ukulele.

I would look to other companies as well as Kala: Flight, Ohana, Enya... if you are determined to spend this amount. Saving to around $500 should get you a noticeably better sounding and produced ukulele.

BTW, I started with a Cordoba 15CM and two months later, wanted an upgrade. I tried a number in the $200 - $400 range (over four years ago) and was unimpressed. Then a $900 KoAloha was put in my hand... after more shopping, that is what I bought and was glad I did so.

Keith,
when I was in your shoes, with a Cordoba 35T, I didn't want to just inch my way up the pecking order by getting a little better then another one a little bit better and then another...

I saw that would be expensive. So I just did some introspection and figured out what I ultimately wanted. Then I cut out the middle man and just bought a custom Kamaka. Obviously I didn't just write a check for it. I saved up for it for a few years.

I mention this in case this methodology fits in with your personality as it did mine.

I agree with this assessment. The Kala is likely a small incremental improvement over your Cordoba, MAYBE. There is an equal chance that you will find them equal or your Cordoba to be preferred. The $250 range is somewhat a beginner entry category for many, especially since the $100 or less will often get you a poor model. But your Cordoba sounds like a good one and when you are ready for a better one, skip the $250 to $400 price range. Or consider a used model here where you pay the depreciated price for a better ukulele.

I would look to other companies as well as Kala: Flight, Ohana, Enya... if you are determined to spend this amount. Saving to around $500 should get you a noticeably better sounding and produced ukulele.

BTW, I started with a Cordoba 15CM and two months later, wanted an upgrade. I tried a number in the $200 - $400 range (over four years ago) and was unimpressed. Then a $900 KoAloha was put in my hand... after more shopping, that is what I bought and was glad I did so.
Super dittos. If you can, swing for the fences. My first uke was an aklot- my second uke was an aNueNue amm3. Not stratospherically expensive but small batch built and a joy to play.

I would definitely echo the sentiment here: it's worth saving up for the next purchase, especially if you're not just trying a different size or tuning. If you're looking to upgrade, anything in that same price range as your Cordoba will not likely be a significant improvement.

Also, keep your eyes posted on our Marketplace (or any other place with pre loved ukes) - you will likely get a much better deal than brand new, so even if you saved up for something in the $500 range new, you might find something even better quality in the pre loved than you could get new.

Thanks for your reply Rainbow...appreciate you mentioning the part about starting with pretty much the same uke as me, but the concert size and then not being impressed with the ones between 200 and 400. I can't really try out the really good ones......wish I could then in my mind I would know for sure, but this helps. Went to Sam Ash around me and just picked and strummed a bit on some Lanikias and they had a concert size Martin Uke too, but I wrote this question after that because I wasn't sure even after trying them that they were actually that much better than what I have. So.....are you and everyone else saying save up more and get a used Uke?? So then it might be a uke that sells for 700 or 800? Or are you just saying that there are ones that are new for 500 that you would recommend? I tell you what.......it would be a lot easier if I had more money to toss around. I'm starting to realize that attempting to figure out what to upgrade to in the uke world seems to be a lot more challenging than in the guitar world. There are more sources to see reviews and there are more locally that I can try out if I want to. Thanks again for your reply...sorry about the delay in responding. I thought i would get an email message saying that I had replies, but didn't get any. I am pretty shy or maybe introverted as far as doing new things in groups where people might be looking at me, but there is the a uke group down here in Tampa Bay.......maybe that's the way to hear some of these better ukes because going to the stores doesn't appear to be a valid option because they just don't have them. What do you think??

Thank you to everyone who replied. If think I would be looking at used and I'll keep an eye in the marketplace here. So everyone pretty much said to jump up in price and that's when I will hear the big difference between what I've got and what I would get. So I'm not loaded with money......but I would rather hold off if the improvement in sound isn't going to be really noticeable.. I'm not unhappy with the Cordoba...at first I wasn't thrilled, but I changed the strings and waited a bit and then after that I've been pretty happy. The thing is that I'm playing it enough that it creeps into my head that if I like the sound of this Cordoba this much then good lord.....how much would I like the sound of a better uke!!! But money wise it makes it harder....me spending a thousand probably ain't happening ever and I'm fine with that no matter what. I don't spend that much on anything for the most part. But......if you guys have recommendations of specific Ukes or Brands then let me know. Everything is so much more difficult to figure out because I just can't get my hands on a better uke at a local store here....at least I don't think so. I replied before to one of people and asked this......I'm pretty introverted when it comes to doing new things in a group setting, but there is a uke group here in Tampa Bay....maybe that's the way to hear some of the better quality ukes if I can't find them in stores locally. Plus I'm sure they would be a wealth of knowledge too. Thanks everyone!!!

Thank you to everyone who replied. If think I would be looking at used and I'll keep an eye in the marketplace here. So everyone pretty much said to jump up in price and that's when I will hear the big difference between what I've got and what I would get. So I'm not loaded with money......but I would rather hold off if the improvement in sound isn't going to be really noticeable.. I'm not unhappy with the Cordoba...at first I wasn't thrilled, but I changed the strings and waited a bit and then after that I've been pretty happy. The thing is that I'm playing it enough that it creeps into my head that if I like the sound of this Cordoba this much then good lord.....how much would I like the sound of a better uke!!! But money wise it makes it harder....me spending a thousand probably ain't happening ever and I'm fine with that no matter what. I don't spend that much on anything for the most part. But......if you guys have recommendations of specific Ukes or Brands then let me know. Everything is so much more difficult to figure out because I just can't get my hands on a better uke at a local store here....at least I don't think so. I replied before to one of people and asked this......I'm pretty introverted when it comes to doing new things in a group setting, but there is a uke group here in Tampa Bay....maybe that's the way to hear some of the better quality ukes if I can't find them in stores locally. Plus I'm sure they would be a wealth of knowledge too. Thanks everyone!!!
There's an amazing Martin tenor in the marketplace...

I am pretty shy or maybe introverted as far as doing new things in groups where people might be looking at me, but there is the a uke group down here in Tampa Bay.......maybe that's the way to hear some of these better ukes because going to the stores doesn't appear to be a valid option because they just don't have them. What do you think??
Yes I think almost everyone would agree this is a good course of action. It's very hard, though, if you're an introvert, but I do know from my limited experience in these sorts of things that jam groups are often very welcoming. I am positive that group would be delighted to regale you with advice about ukulele choices and suggestions and would likely even let you try some of their instruments.
So I'm not loaded with money......but I would rather hold off if the improvement in sound isn't going to be really noticeable.
Again it's hardly worth trying something else in the same price range as the Cordoba. You might get lucky or not, but it does seem that there is a significant jump improvement if you can save up for the $500 range. If you're in Florida, what about LoPrinzi? That would be worth saving up for.

Thanks for your reply Rainbow...appreciate you mentioning the part about starting with pretty much the same uke as me, but the concert size and then not being impressed with the ones between 200 and 400. I can't really try out the really good ones......wish I could then in my mind I would know for sure, but this helps. Went to Sam Ash around me and just picked and strummed a bit on some Lanikias and they had a concert size Martin Uke too, but I wrote this question after that because I wasn't sure even after trying them that they were actually that much better than what I have. So.....are you and everyone else saying save up more and get a used Uke?? So then it might be a uke that sells for 700 or 800? Or are you just saying that there are ones that are new for 500 that you would recommend? I tell you what.......it would be a lot easier if I had more money to toss around. I'm starting to realize that attempting to figure out what to upgrade to in the uke world seems to be a lot more challenging than in the guitar world. There are more sources to see reviews and there are more locally that I can try out if I want to. Thanks again for your reply...sorry about the delay in responding. I thought i would get an email message saying that I had replies, but didn't get any. I am pretty shy or maybe introverted as far as doing new things in groups where people might be looking at me, but there is the a uke group down here in Tampa Bay.......maybe that's the way to hear some of these better ukes because going to the stores doesn't appear to be a valid option because they just don't have them. What do you think??
The Tampa Bay Ukulele Society bills itself as the largest one in the world with 3000 + members. It would be a great starting point and resource. You certainly do not have to worry about anyone looking at you in a group setting... they will be totally focused on the group leader, the songsheets, or their own playing. And no one will hear you over the group sound or everyone else so you could play the wrong chords and even sing the wrong words and it will go unnoticed. The value, besides experiencing what many truly enjoy about ukuleles (the group play and sing along), will be in meeting the others who should be totally willing to share info about their ukuleles and their knowledge. Some will be willing to let you try their ukuleles and the variety will be astounding. So I would go for it. It will be like being on this forum except with real people.

On the personal search, consider that you are now searching for your "forever" ukulele (at least until the next forever one). So now you can waste, I mean take, your time here on the forum reading about all sorts of differing opinions. The first brand to consider is a Pono, which is well regarded here, but with a caveat that they have a thicker/heavier neck. Be great if you can try one at the TBUS meetup. Others have distinct characteristics like the Martins (dating back to Tin Pan alley songs) or the Hawaiian Ks (very different from the Martins). Some are better for strumming and others for fingerpicking. Educate as to your preferences and start to look out for used ones, which can easily be discounted 30% over new, thus stretching your dollars greatly.

Meanwhile, enjoy your Cordoba and your journey.

I played a cordoba 15tm for like a year and I loved it. I did eventually upgrade because I felt like it, I probably didn’t need to.

I don’t have much else to say. Great uke.

I have tried Cordobas at the shop and I was uninterested. I picked up a Kala solid acacia KA-SA-T for $125 used and it is good enough to be my only uke. It's got those same kind of Grovers, sounds sweet and is fun to play. My point is, there may be something to this Kala you are looking at. (Full disclosure: I still kept looking for an even better uke because I wanted Koa and I wanted a different neck shape.)

...You certainly do not have to worry about anyone looking at you in a group setting... they will be totally focused on the group leader, the songsheets, or their own playing. And no one will hear you over the group sound or everyone else so you could play the wrong chords and even sing the wrong words and it will go unnoticed."
This is too true. As a fellow introvert, I will say that the experience of playing with a group for the first (and subsequent) time has been completely painless. The group I join weekly is the most welcoming and easy to be with bunch of folks you could imagine. I say check out TBUS and experience the shared joy whether you want their uke opinions or not.

A gently used Pono or aNueNue AMM would be a much better uke for under $500. No need to break the bank. But I would skip the inexpensive Kala, As others said, it's not going to be much of an upgrade.

This is too true. As a fellow introvert, I will say that the experience of playing with a group for the first (and subsequent) time has been completely painless. The group I join weekly is the most welcoming and easy to be with bunch of folks you could imagine. I say c

Thanks everyone for all your replies.....very kind of you all and I appreciate all them. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do. Looks like a majority of people would suggest holding off on the Kala and saving up for something more expensive and also to give the Uke group here in Tampa Bay a shot. Pretty funny that it just happens to be the largest uke group in the world and I was aware of them, but had no idea they were that big...found that pretty amusing. Thanks again everyone for all the input.

So I am looking to upgrade a bit...was eyeballing a kala ka-srt-ctg-c for around 360 dollars including shipping. The cutaway version got a really good score on the gotauke website and it sounded really nice, but this would not have the cutaway or electronics. Don't need them so that doesn't matter to me. The problem is I like my Cordoba 15tm and think it sounds good too. I don't think it's quiet and the notes seem to sustain decently. I can't pay my hands on this Kala and 260 dollars might not be alot to some people, but that ain't me. It's not going to kill me but just tossing it away on a uke that might not be better would not be good at all. I honestly care about the sound more than the looks ..so volume, tone and I guess sustain too. I know it looks like on paper that the kala should sound better, but just wanted to see if someone can confirm this. The 260 sounds like a good price for that Kala. Let me know what you think ok?? Thanks everyone!
Loprinzi have what they call the "LM" series. These have a solid wood top; backs and sides are solid poplar with an exotic wood veneer. Also a Mahogany neck, walnut fingerboard, rosewood bridge and a rosette. For ... less than 400 (in some cases). Go here and scroll to the bottom.
Incredible value. I have one and I love it.
Also forgot to say - these are handmade in Florida. Which for that price is incredible

Last edited:
Top Bottom