Testing out some picks

I ordered 3 picks from SUS and gave em a try today. I was pleasantly surprised with the felt pick, very effective on a concert uke!

I like to use picks when I playing celtic melodies, as theyre very nimble.

I suggest picking up a few picks every time you go into a musical instrument shop. They do not cost much and you can keep a lot of them in a small tin or box that will fit in most cases. Each pick will deliver a new sound without changing strings, but you need to be aware of the risk of gouging or scratching the wood.
Oh I would if we actually had a music shop. Our only music shop closed a couple of years ago. Everything is online now.

Sorry to hear your shop closed.

If you are interested, you can make your own picks. There is a tool called a pick punch that punches out pick shapes. You can recycle various plastics by using the tool or just cutting out the shape with sharp scissors or a craft knife. The plastic used for milk bottles in Australia works well. If you are a woody you can shape some scrap into a pick.

You can also glue some felt to both sides of a small sheet of plastic and chop out felt picks. Ice cream container lids are a favourite material for this.

I tend to buy them because I can go to a shop. But if there was no shop I would just chop up plastic containers and make some.

One of my favourite picks is the little tag used in Australia to close the plastic bag holding bread. It makes a really bright tone. They are just under 1" square.
Yes I know about that device. Ok for guitar picks I suppose, but I have plenty of guitar picks already. I wanted to try felt and leather picks, and I'm glad I did!

I actually use the guitar pick puncher device. My gf got me one after I mentioned how I keep misplacing them. lololol.

I like them just fine. The material isn't as harsh as a regular guitar pick.

Top Bottom