Song Help Request Tab notation i can't find google searching

captain-janeway

Reaction score

Please go to 4:15 and can anyone tell me what the vertical lines are next to some of the notes? Also where there is a curved line over top of the 02 next to each other, is it just a hammer?.
This is someone's guitar tab played using a Carter scratch.
Luckily he plays fairly slowly and I think I found a way to switch guitar to uke but I wanted to figure the notation.
Its probably simple and blowing over my head right now. Thanks

That's an amazing old Carter Family song! That's the kind of music I want to learn to play, I love fingerpicking in both guitar and ukulele.

If you put your search term in the url bar you'll get back lots of results; I'm finding all sorts of stuff but I'm not sure if it suits the video example you shared.

"https://duckduckgo.com/bury+me+beneath+the+willow+ukulele"

That's an amazing old Carter Family song! That's the kind of music I want to learn to play, I love fingerpicking in both guitar and ukulele.

If you put your search term in the url bar you'll get back lots of results; I'm finding all sorts of stuff but I'm not sure if it suits the video example you shared.

"https://duckduckgo.com/bury+me+beneath+the+willow+ukulele"
Unfortunately. a search for ukulele tablature most often results in ukulele chords (not tablature). The OP is looking at a fingerstyle/instrumental arrangement, so chord charts really don't help. I wish people would stop using "tablature" or "tab" when they really mean chords.

Please go to 4:15 and can anyone tell me what the vertical lines are next to some of the notes? Also where there is a curved line over top of the 02 next to each other, is it just a hammer?.
This is someone's guitar tab played using a Carter scratch.
Luckily he plays fairly slowly and I think I found a way to switch guitar to uke but I wanted to figure the notation.
Its probably simple and blowing over my head right now. Thanks

I think the vertical lines are just indicating quarter notes. And yes, the curved lines are hammer-ons.

I am sure those lines are there to show you where the beats are, not so much to show the length of the note, since some of them are in hammer-ons with very quick notes coming after them. It's not a common way to tab stuff out. I like when they have the stems and flags under the notes. A line for quarter notes, one flag for eighth notes, two for sixteenth notes and nothing for half and whole notes.

Thanks everyone. I want to see if I can get a close approximation to the piece I'm playing with.

I think others have done a good job of explaining this.
A bit of terminology: This is not the Carter Scratch. but finger-style. The Carter Scratch is Maybelle's style of picking the melody on the bass strings with the thumb, and the chords (to fill in the holes) with the finger-nails, playing down on the beat and upon the off beat. Maybelle used her index finger for down and up. I tend to use my bird finger.
Guitar players often get a very similar sound using a flat pick, what Woody Guthrie called the Church Lick.

Also, thanks to Larry U for pointing out the difference between tablature (AKA tab) and chord sheets.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Go back and listen to the accompaniment a few times. It's just a bass line, and two alternate treble notes as fills. Just pay attention to the bass line, played on the thumb. That's what you want to play with your thumb too. I suggest you have a low g on your uke. I'm playing it now, in F on a low g uke. I prefer to use a brush strum instead of the treble fill notes, because that's my style. In F, I don't have the low low F note required on the turnaround, so I revert to the the octave higher F under my index finger (remember, I'm playing in F, so I'm back holding the F chord again). Confused? Form an open position F chord, then start picking out the bass line with your thumb. When you get to a fill note, either pluck that octave F I mentioned, or strum. Carry forward, and you'll figure the rest out for yourself. It's not difficult.
Is this what you're meaning? See example 1. Look like the F is a thumb on F and them a strum on the whole chord.
I'm trying to just use this as a starting point to get the styling, then I'll have to try some my ear. I'm definitely using low g.

I think others have done a good job of explaining this.
A bit of terminology: This is not the Carter Scratch. but finger-style. The carter Scratch is Maybelle's style of picking the melody on the bass strings with the thumb, and the chords (to fill in the holes) with the finger-nails, playing down on the beat and upon the off beat. Maybell used her index finger for down and up. I tend to use my bird finger.
Guitar players often get a very similar sound using a flat pick, what Woody Guthrie called the Church Lick.

Also, thanks to Larry U for pointing out the difference between tablature (AKA tab) and chord sheets.
Thanks. I was trying to follow along with Aaron Keim for Carter.

Unfortunately. a search for ukulele tablature most often results in ukulele chords (not tablature). The OP is looking at a fingerstyle/instrumental arrangement, so chord charts really don't help. I wish people would stop using "tablature" or "tab" when they really mean chords.
Yeah, sorry about that. My intention was mostly to show that searching from the url bar vs within the search engine itself can often bring up more productive results.

I’m not familiar with this euro notation but I reckon:
  • This is a picking pattern for each chord using thumb, finger, finger, finger in each bar (measure)
  • Bar 1+2: guitar C chord (ukulele G) pattern 1; bar 3+4: guitar F chord (ukulele C) pattern 2; bar 5+6: guitar C chord (ukulele G) pattern 1 again; bar 7+8: guitar G chord (ukulele A) pattern 3.
  • Could be simplified to one ( or two) pattern(s)
  • The eight bars shown in the video repeat for the second half of the verse or chorus
  • Example chorus: 1st bar “bur -y”; 2nd bar “me be-“; 3rd bar “-neath the”; 4th bar “will -ow”; etc
  • The vertical lines indicate quarter notes. When eighth notes they are on each side of the line
  • The curly connectors show a slide (slur) or hammer
  • The lesson shows C chord shapes on guitar so played the same on standard ukulele (5 frets higher sound) would sound like G which suits your voice
  • The notation is for six string guitar so the bass (thumb) note on the 5th (C/G) and 6th (G/G..yes) strings could be played on the open G on the ukulele 4th string
  • Tinker with the patterns to suit your taste.
I found it difficult to play on the ukulele and it would be hard to play in performance.

My suggestion is to simplify by fingering the G chord progression on the ukulele (G, G, C, C, G, G, D, D, repeat) and finding thumb, finger, finger, finger patterns within the chord shapes that sound similar with minimal fret hand finger movement.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom