Strings for Tenor Uke Tuned in Fifths

JES

Greetings. Like the title says, I'm looking for recommendations for a string set that will work on a tenor uke tuned in fifths. I know Aquila does one for concert uke, but I only have a tenor. Happy to buy classical guitar strings or other options. I just need someone to point me in the right direction. TIA.

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
My gut feeling is that for CGDA on a tenor scale, the C (a 5th below a ukulele "low" G) would require a very fat string. Heavy, and probably wound. The D is no problem. High A is probably doable.

Conversely, for CGDA low C on a baritone, an .035w #5 from D'Addario EJ27n set works fine, but the high A cannot be done, even with a LaBella .016" nylon string. I've tried. ...see below.

Last edited:

Jim Hanks

CGDA is doable though the low C is iffy. You'll need a 5th string from a classical set. The rest are easy from a low G set.

DAEB would give a better low D but you'll need a very thin flourocarbon string for the high B. You'll want to look at 6-string tenor sets with the low/high C strings. Living Water can sell you such a string.

I disagree with @Wiggy that baritone high A cannot be done as there are GCEA sets for baritone.

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
... I disagree with @Wiggy that baritone high A cannot be done as there are GCEA sets for baritone.
Jim, you are correct.
JES is asking for: C3, G3, D4, A4, where A4 is "A440." (G3 is a normal ukulele "low G.")

<Hint> Google "G3 tone" or "G4 tone"

Last edited:

bsfloyd

Try the concert Aquila set (CGDA) and tune it down a step. Might be worth a try. I use this set on soprano and tune up a half step.

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
A slight veer, here:

I have a concert set up as c4, G3, D4, A4.
The A is a .022" clear nylon. Low C (C4, aka: piano middle C) is not possible; that is why it is reentry.

It is tuned the same as Viola, but with the 4th string an octave higher.

Chords are the same as CGDA (4-string) tenor banjo and Mandola (8-string), and are easily reachable on a concert scale.
It has a nice cheery tone. However, without a low 4th string, it sounds and plays more like a ukulele than a mandola or tenor banjo

<edit> There is also this 2018 UU thread. Booli mentions use on a tenor scale:

Last edited: