Strings By Mail - Fast turn time + really nice sticker

Oldscruggsfan

Reaction score
My first ever Strings By Mail order arrived today. I went with SBM because the two independent music stores in my area only stock a couple brands of uke strings. Though one of those brands has always been my "go to" for steel banjo strings, I haven't been happy with their fluorocarbon ones for my soprano uke.
In addition to the very quick delivery time (3 business days) and decent price for [a very recognizable brand of high-end] strings, SBM's package also included a handwritten "thank you" note and an attractive sticker that looks like an enlarged 1940-ish air mail stamp. Since I don't have a hard shell uke case and have no desire to acquire one, this will join the dozens of other stickers that already adorn my banjo case.
I'm so pleasantly surprised by such added touches of personal service that I'm already a loyal SBM customer.
If you're a uke newbie like me and haven't seen SBM's "stamp" sticker, it's viewable online. I didn't include SBM's web-link in this post because it's my understanding that doing so would violate UU rules.

I have been a customer for many years. They had the strings I wanted to prices lower than Europe incl. shipping, until the EU changed customs rules :-(

The prices aren't amazing for me in Canada once shipping is included, but they have such excellent selection, and the pricing isn't horrific, that I've already made a number of purchases from them to try different things out. Honestly, the SAS (string acquisition syndrome) is almost as bad as UAS (ukulele acquisition syndrome, for those noobs like me who took a LONG time to figure that out 😣), and a lot cheaper! For example, I just changed to a squeakless low G on my linear tenor to see what that would be like, and it's so easy to do (other than the annoying fishing for the end through the soundhole, I really hate that).

Strings by Mail is a great business.

Strings By Mail is good. I also sometimes buy from Strings and Beyond, which has free shipping (with minimum order) and frequent sales.

I always got a personal handwritten Thank you note with my order.. :D

It's just a shame that they haven't registered with the EU. It's one thing to pay 25% VAT but 25 $ handling fee on top of that when shipper is unregistered, took all the advantages away for me. I just checked, I have sent in 38 orders to them.

Southern Ukulele store removed tax if you purchase outside of UK. Depending on your tax rules you may have to pay tax on imports etc but for me it works out the same price delivered outside of EU than it would if I walked in the shop and brought them.

Southern Ukulele store removed tax if you purchase outside of UK. Depending on your tax rules you may have to pay tax on imports etc but for me it works out the same price delivered outside of EU than it would if I walked in the shop and brought them.
I have been a customer for many years. They had the strings I wanted to prices lower than Europe incl. shipping, until the EU changed customs rules :-(
I buy all my strings from SBM.

I love strings by mail mostly for their bulk banjo strings. I bought a dozen of each gauge of strings and they were cheap. I have also used them when I was experimenting with different sets of ukulele strings. I bought 10 different brands of strings to see which I liked best. They have a lot of different brands and styles of strings, and if you order enough, the $10 or so postage isn't so bad.

I placed my first SBM order this month, too (book). I was so impressed by the courtesy, speed of delivery and helpfulness I received that I immediately placed a second order (strings, book, tuner). Great experience(s)!

I like them too, but try to order a bunch of sets at once due to the shipping charge... the personalized note is also nice!

I’ve also had several great experiences with Strings by mail. I really appreciate the nice thank-you notes & stickers.

A note, Strings by Mail will give a discount to Veterans. I don't remember what documentation I had to provide but once you do the discount is automatically applied.

A note, Strings by Mail will give a discount to Veterans. I don't remember what documentation I had to provide but once you do the discount is automatically applied.

Link to Strings-by-mail Veterans' Discount (10%)...
FWIW, it helps if you've registered as a customer first. (Don't 'click' on the "[click here for details]" button, it doesn't yet work.)
-Instead click the link above labeled [contact us].
-On the contact screen, enter the info requested, including your email address. I added a "Message" that included my full name, dates of active duty, service branch, rank upon honorable service discharge.
-Because I was already registered as a customer, they replied with a message that said my account was now flagged and the discount would be automatically added anytime I ordered.
military-discount-49.html

Link to Strings-by-mail Veterans' Discount (10%)...
FWIW, it helps if you've registered as a customer first. (Don't 'click' on the "[click here for details]" button, it doesn't yet work.)
-Instead click the link above labeled [contact us].
-On the contact screen, enter the info requested, including your email address. I added a "Message" that included my full name, dates of active duty, service branch, rank upon honorable service discharge.
-Because I was already registered as a customer, they replied with a message that said my account was now flagged and the discount would be automatically added anytime I ordered.
military-discount-49.html
I requested the Strings-by-Mail Veteran's Discount last week. They replied that they needed documentation confirming military service before they could give me the discount. I emailed them a copy of my discharge certificate this morning. This afternoon, they set me up with a 10% discount, any time, any item (except for sale or already-discounted items). Good deal and nice folks to deal with!

I requested the Strings-by-Mail Veteran's Discount last week. They replied that they needed documentation confirming military service before they could give me the discount. I emailed them a copy of my discharge certificate this morning. This afternoon, they set me up with a 10% discount, any time, any item (except for sale or already-discounted items). Good deal and nice folks to deal with!
I also registered today, with the same positive result. Very good customer service!

I did the same this weekend. Sent a copy of my DD214.

I ordered some strings yesterday and thought I’d made a mistake on the order. They wrote back immediately confirming everything. Nice guys, strings are also super cheap as is postage!

Top Bottom