String recommendations to address boomy C string

moonlessbag

Reaction score
Hello all. I have an Ohana SK-39, which is my first (and at present, only) ukulele. At the moment I have it strung with clear Martin fluorocarbons.

I've noticed that the C string is a bit boomy. It tends to drown out the other strings a bit. I was wondering if someone could recommend some other strings that I could try that might balance this boominess out. I think this uke works well, to my ears, with strings on the brighter side. The uke has naturally got a darker tone. I tried Worth Browns on it a while back and I didn't like it at all - the high end more or less vanished.

I know some of this "boominess" is probably the result of my technique, and some is the tuning (I like playing gCEA, with the high G) resonating with the instrument. But I'm keen to experiment with some different strings and see if I can get a bit more balance. Mahalo!

Maybe different strings will answer the problem, maybe they won't.
Are you talking about finger picking, using a plectrum and/or strumming?

I don't play my soprano much, but I do have one that is strung with reentrant Aquila Nylgut strings.
I can't detect a boomy C on my instrument. Is it the Aquila Nygut strings or is it my instrument or is it my technique?
This I can't answer.

I'm no expert, but I think technique and the instrument itself can make more of a difference with "boominess" than string choice.

Don't be afraid to experiment with mixing and matching strings. If the Worth Browns helped reduce the boominess, maybe just use those for your lowest string?

Personally, I string more for "feel". I like to be able to easily bend a string, so I absolutely hate a too-tight A string. Worth BL has the absolute thinnest A string of anybody, and it works for me. I rearrange the rest of the set for a linear Low-G, and I tune the whole thing down a step!

Just gotta figure out what works for you.

That C on the Martin set always seems a bit thick to me compared to the rest of the set. If you want fluorocarbons try the Worth clear or D’addario.

Tune that bad boy up to ADF#B and your boominess woes will be over. Can't beat a sop in D tuning. You likely won't find strings to address this, the size of the uke is what's causing it - some sops resonate perfectly at middle C, hence the boom. Some tenors do it at low G. Just one of those things.

Thanks all! I'll give the Worths a go and see if it balances the strings out - I had noticed that the C string seemed a bit thick in this set. Though it may end up being the case that the uke's natural resonance can't be overcome.

I use that Worth C string as my low G string... works well for that! But, really, it's all in what you're after and works for YOU on YOUR uke.

Top Bottom