Standard model vs Deluxe model

DavidGuitar95010

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Is there typically any difference in sound quality from a brand’s standard level ukulele compared to the deluxe version? Or is the deluxe version just fancier to look at? For example, would the Kamaka HF-3 sound any different from the HF-3D?

In your cited case, the sounds between the two should be the same (allowing for variability). The construction should be identical with the deluxe having a more figured wood.

But if you went to a different design, like the slotted headstock (HF 3D 2i) there may be a sound difference.

With KoAloha, they do not have different wood grades. But a Red Label has a different design and perhaps feels better and sounds better, so you are paying the increased price for more than appearance.

Depends on the brand. Sometimes the deluxe models are made by more experienced builders to higher quality standards. Sometimes the difference is just fancier trim or a fancier finish. I have no experience with the deluxe Kamakas.

On a recent TUS podcast, CF stated that Kamaka routes the underside edge of the soundboard thinner on D models to allow more movement and enhanced sound. But on some brands, gold colored tuners and gloss finish = deluxe.
See 13:05

Last edited:
On a recent TUS podcast, CF stated that Kamaka routes the underside edge of the soundboard thinner on D models to allow more movement and enhanced sound. But on some brands, gold colored tuners and gloss finish = deluxe.
See 13:05

I remembered seeing this one as well. I've heard elsewhere as well that Kamaka Deluxe models specifically can sound different to the standard model. If the builders and the build itself are different then the sound will be as well of course. Definitely depends on the brand though. Pono Deluxe models, for instance, only have a different finish and usually nicer wood grain compared to the standards. Of course, the price difference isn't huge for Ponos either which is nice.

The deluxe Kanilei'a K1-T Deluxe tenors have more figured wood in them than the standard. There is no standard for the finishes. I've seen both High gloss and satin UV finishes on both.

Some of the higher grade models have different bracing to get slightly better vibration for improved sustain and projection.

To be honest, I never thought about it before or after I bought my deluxe Kamaka. I bought it because it is Kamaka and because it is deluxe and because it has nice marquetry. Would a uke half the price play as well? I don't know. And if you're trying to get 1:1 ratio between pennies paid and musical sweetness, I think you shouldn't be looking at deluxe models. You'll be unhappy. Deluxe is more about having something that's pretty, that's collectible, that's unique. of course my Kamaka is awesome but that wasn't my primary motivation. And I know this sounds very elitist but if it mollifies the impact, I'd like to point out that I work two full-time jobs and I don't have an 80 inch TV or a nice car or a lot of property. I work hard and prioritize my expendable income on musical instruments as opposed to other creature comforts like cell phones, satellite television, etc.

It really depends on the player. Some people sound better with one uke and others sound better with other ukes. Ukes by themselves don't have a sound.
What? The OP asked about different build techniques and this varies by maker.

Our senses are intertwined. A meal that looks good does actually taste better than the same food mashed together.

Why not the hearing as well? Maybe it really does sound better if it looks good?

I can't say for myself but I definitely like instruments that look good. They give me pleasure even when not played. :D

I actually own both a Kamaka HF-3 and HF-3d2i. The HF-3 is semi-gloss and the HF-3d2i is gloss with a slotted headstock. As touted by some as an advantage of slotted headstocks, the deluxe (HF-3d2i) indeed has greater sustain; whether this perception is due to the headstock design or other factors I have not proven to myself. The particular standard HF-3 I have seems a little louder. Yet my overall impression is that the 2 instruments are much closer to one another than any other tenor that I presently play or have played. Fwiw, the reason I have two Kamaka tenors is because I liked so much my "standard" HF-3 that I had to jump on a HF-3d2i I particularly liked as well.

Bottom line: Play the ukuleles that keep you coming back for more!

Last edited:
Inspired by a recent thread about ukes and classical music, I grabbed some sheet music I have of Sainte-Colombe and played it on my deluxe Kamaka. I know the mantra of this forum is louder, lOuDeR, LOUDER, but the deluxe really excels in dynamics. If I play something pp or ppp my deluxe stays crystal clear whether I am picking notes or harmonics. Of course there are too many variables involved: my kamaka has Worth strings and my custom uke has Fremont, I am tuned to EAC#F#, etc. Therefore I don't know if there's something special about my Kamaka or if it is just dumb luck. And this also holds true to high notes. when I play around the 17th fret, my Kamaka is crystal clear whereas my custom uke struggles for the note and doesn't tolerate anything other than perfect fretting.

All depends, make, model etc. Deluxe may or may not sound appreciably better to your ears. I bought a Master series Pono when they first came out. They have different bracing - lattice braced top and they may select the woods more carefully for that series. I do think it makes a difference and I think I hear a difference over my other Ponos, all of which are quite nice.

Then you have to get into individual ukes too, Several of the exact same model of say a better beginner or intermediate quality instrument may vary more in sound. Some may be better than exact brethren copies of the other. But I would think when you get into deluxe area the quality might be more consistent, if its a better tier brand or model. Cheaper ukes where deluxe is just embellishment or trim not so much.

If some particular deluxe model of something calls to you and budget is not too big a factor why not.

I am really hooked on KoAloha now. I bought a used 2013 KTM 00 and got hooked. Bought a new 2022 KTM 00 this summer. Great Uke. the old 2013 and 2022 models have different sounds, both pleasing. Newer models underwent some changes. KoAloha makes a KTM and a Royal Pikake.
I agonized over which model to buy. I bought the gloss KTM 00.

Kept thinking about the other model recently. Decided I only live once and just ordered a Royal Pikake. Satin finish and different appointments but may sound slightly different than the KTM-00. Logic might say own one or the other as they might be pretty close in sound to one another, but I'm so impressed with the KTM 00 that I am going to own the Pikake KTM10 RP too. So after clearing it with the War Department I grabbed the one I was ogling from TUS/HMS. Now just have to wait for set up and shipping. Woo - hooh. 😁

I am really hooked on KoAloha now. I bought a used 2013 KTM 00 and got hooked. Bought a new 2022 KTM 00 this summer. Great Uke. the old 2013 and 2022 models have different sounds, both pleasing. Newer models underwent some changes. KoAloha makes a KTM and a Royal Pikake.
I agonized over which model to buy. I bought the gloss KTM 00.

Kept thinking about the other model recently. Decided I only live once and just ordered a Royal Pikake. Satin finish and different appointments but may sound slightly different than the KTM-00. Logic might say own one or the other as they might be pretty close in sound to one another, but I'm so impressed with the KTM 00 that I am going to own the Pikake KTM10 RP too. So after clearing it with the War Department I grabbed the one I was ogling from TUS/HMS. Now just have to wait for set up and shipping. Woo - hooh. 😁
As someone who is perfectly fine with two closely related Kamaka tenors, I am fine with this arrangement. I've had a similar experience with a KTM-25 factory special (since sold, for better and worse). This has been followed by a 25th Anniversary Red Label (which I still do own and is not blem - or for sale, lol) and sometime in the future a special order KTM. By now, we all know what we like and what we do not, so why not focus on what what we like the most?

I think there is some confusion here about the term: "deluxe."

There is no set definition other than it is better in some ways than the standard or base model. Even "better" can be debatable.

For Pono it is just having a high gloss finish instead of a satin or matte finish.

For Kanile'a it is having a higher grade of wood with fancier figured grain or flame. Recently the deluxe ukes often show more sap wood and stripes.

Kamaka uses higher grade Koa with fancier grain and flame. They also add a prominent rope purfling and rosette with rosewood binding on the top.

For these brands at least, the deluxe designation mostly refers to higher grade cosmetic differences.

Improvements in construction or design often necessitates a different model designation. In Pono's case, an Acacia tenor line begins with the Pono AT (Acacia Tenor) Satin finish. Then ATD (Acacia Tenor Deluxe) Gloss finish. A new model AT-A (Acacia Tenor-?) Gloss finish, added: radius fretboard, adjustable truss rod Top binding & Purfling, Better Grover tuners. AT-PC (Acacia Tenor-Pro Classic) Added: back binding & purfling, rope wood rosette; 18:1 Grover tuners.

Our senses are intertwined. A meal that looks good does actually taste better than the same food mashed together.

Why not the hearing as well? Maybe it really does sound better if it looks good?

I can't say for myself but I definitely like instruments that look good. They give me pleasure even when not played. :D
Poul, For the sake of fostering interesting dialogue, I have a different opinion regarding the uke appearance analogy, "A meal that looks good does actually taste better than the same food mashed together". I happen to very much enjoy Moon Pies, SPAM (Specially Processed American Meat, not the annoying digital variety) and Vienna sausages. Meanwhile, even the most ardent fan of such processed foods will agree that none of those look good to anyone in their original form. SPAM in particular has an extremely unappetizing appearance but is wonderful when either sliced and fried in an iron skillet or roasted over a campfire while impaled on a sharpened stick. The top "gel" alone should be sufficient to prevent anyone from sampling Vienna sausages. Oysters also spring to mind, as well as King Crab.

My Uncle Jerry's 1940's Gibson flat-top guitar is ugly by any measurable standard. Jerry (who will soon turn 73) has never owned a case and the guitar bears clear evidence of having narrowly survived a house fire. Meanwhile, in his accomplished, indeed professional, hands, the aesthetically unpleasing instrument rings like a bell, rivaling a new, custom-built Martin D-45 or Gibson Hummingbird. Just one man's opinion / experience, my friend.

Moonpies, spam, Vienna sausages...but what about corned beef hash? And is that moonpie accompanied by an rc cola?

Moonpies, spam, Vienna sausages...but what about corned beef hash? And is that moonpie accompanied by an rc cola?
I'd include corned beef hash only if taking it to the next level, which makes it SOS. SOS was my hands-down favorite US Army breakfast food. Army mess sergeants could never get grits right because all they had on hand was farina/ Cream of Wheat. Definitely with an RC Cola, or a Coke in a bottle with peanuts dropped down the neck.

Top Bottom