SOTU 575 "SEE THE MUSIC, HEAR THE DANCE"

Here’s an original, written this evening for the season and for FAWM. It’s a love song, with some added synth bass, pads, drums and vocal harmonies. It includes the word ‘dance’.

can you please explain Del, when you say 'pads' in your descriptions of your arrangements, what they are?

can you please explain Del, when you say 'pads' in your descriptions of your arrangements, what they are?

Hi Jon

Here’s the best definition I could find:

“A synth pad is a sustained sound, either a single tone or a chord, used to enhance the harmony of a broader track. Pads add a sense of atmosphere. In a broader music history context, the concept of padding out a musical arrangement has been around for quite some time.”

I hope that helps? Traditionally it would have been a string section that played that kind of accompaniment, but I tend to prefer a ‘breathy’ or ‘dreamy’ type of synth sound instead.

Cheers matey! :)

GREAT to see you Eric and your brother!
Thanks for hosting, Val.

EDIT: Sorry Val, I have deleted the earlier version of this video because I found the audio quality too horrible. So I re-recorded the audio, but kept the video as it is. Can I trouble you to add this to the playlist instead? Thank you.

Last edited:
They dance alone.
IMG_20230223_105027.jpg
This song is about the Pinochet regime and the women who danced alone in the streets for their husbands and sons who had disappeared.
IMG_20230223_095716.jpg
They would dance with photographs of their loved ones and hold white handkerchiefs in their hands.

Last edited:
Hi Val! Here's one by Belle and Sebastian, in which by the end the narrator wants a dance and a drink of whisky. And who wouldn't?

Hope you don't mind me interrupting, but after next week's Season (hosted by Yukio) we have a gap of three host-less weeks.
Anybody want to jump in and run a week?
If you do, just head for the "Sign up" thread.
Back to the dance...

Been busy with FAWM and a mini holiday in the Montseny Mountain range. I have some catching up to do in March!
Like my narrator, I am not the world's best dancer, by far. That inspired my song for this Season.

I hope you like:

Top Bottom