SOTU 554 "Swayin' to the tempo of a squeezebox melody" Songs About Instruments

Hi Jim! THX for hosting!
Just back from a week vacation followed by another week of Covid recovery (we're lucky, nothing severe), I'm cheating a little bit, as this song's idea (mainly) is mentioning instruments. I only put some in, Jon seems to have forgotten ;):
melodica and sitar are known,
cupa-cupa (buzz pot?)

theorbe

(a bass is handier)

An excerpt from my arrangement of Rush's "2112", played on concert ukulele with singing. Thanks for hosting, Jim!

In the song excerpt, the protagonist has discovered a musical instrument from the pre-apocalyptic culture, and presents it to the priests who control every aspect of his distopian society.

We'll be playing this this Saturday (8 Oct) at Driveway Concert number 7 at the studio. If you're in Portland come check us out.

More info at woodstockukes.com

Jim suggested McNamara's Band, so here it is. There are drums, cymbals, horns, bassoon, pipes, flute and the big bass drum played by Uncle Yulius.

To symbolise the Irish band, I added a bright green kazoo for the intro and the instrumental / outro. I messed up part of the lyrics, but that's fully in character. It was a new song to me after all;-)

Thanks for this wonderful idea, Jim!

Sheet music:https://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/mmb-vp/1056/

Final submissions

-Here's a last submission from me, a tune from my little brother, Dave - Me And Mr. Martin.
-Elmann used a song that could add any instrument, depending how fussy his mama is - Mama Don't Allow. . . Check out some of his submissions.
-Brian gave us a super Excerpt from "2112".
-Ralf's tribute to the Strat was a super close to the Season. - Fender Stratocaser
-And Sabine managed to honour my request for MacNamara's Band as the last song, adding more drums, cymbals, bassoon and pipes to our list.
PS - I went downstairs singing MacNamara's Band and got to, "Hennessee Tennessee tootled the flute and the music was something grand," and realised that I'd forgotten to add a flute to the list, but it's done now.

This brings the final list to:

-Ukuleles - 21
-Guitars - 19
-Fiddle -11
-Piano - 10
-Drum -9
-Trumpet - 6

-Banjo - 6
-Bagpipes - 7
-Harp - 4
-Bells - 3
-Zither -3
-Mandolin - 3
-Kazoo - 3
-Mouth harp - 3
-Flute -3
-Dulcimer -2
-Clarinet -2
-Trombone -2
-Cello - 2
-Castinet - 2
-Flugelhorn - 2
-Tambourine - 2
-Glockenspiel- 2
-Washboard - 2
-Bassoon -2
-Maracas - 1
-Ocarina - 1
-Dan moi - 1
-Ondes martenot - 1
-Coronet -1
-Euphonium -1
-Accordion - 1
-Whistle - 1
-Gong - 1
-Didgeridoo - 1
-Tanpura - 1
-Taishogoto - 1
-Jug - 1
-Phone book - 1
-Bones - 1
-Triangle - 1
-Toy hammer - 1
-Gut bucket - 1
-Bass - 1
-Music box - 1
-Euphonium - 1
-Theremin - 1
-Vibes - 1
-Hammered dulcimer - 1
-Saxophone - 1
-Xylophone - 1
-Footstomp - 1
-Cowbell - 1
-Synthesizer - 1
-Viola - 1
-Melodica - 1
-Sitar - 1
-Coupa coupa - 1

-Theorbo - 1
-Cymbals -1

Please let me know if I've missed putting a video on the Play List.
I'll work on the wrap ASAP and am working on my version of Paul Desmond's Take Five for Del's Season 555. I'm sure mine won't be the only one.

Last edited:
Final submissions

-Here's a last submission from me, a tune from my little brother, Dave - Me And Mr. Martin.
-Elmann used a song that could add any instrument, depending how fussy his mama is - Mama Don't Allow. . . Check out some of his submissions.
-Brian gave us a super Excerpt from "2112".
-Ralf's tribute to the Strat was a super close to the Season. - Fender Stratocaser
-And Sabine managed to honour my request for MacNamara's Band as the last song, adding more drums, cymbals, bassoon and pipes to our list.
PS - I went downstairs singing MacNamara's Band and got to, "Hennessee Tennessee tootled the flute and the music was something grand," and realised that I'd forgotten to add a flute to the list, but it's done now.

This brings the final list to:

-Ukuleles - 21
-Guitars - 19
-Fiddle -11
-Piano - 10
-Drum -9
-Trumpet - 6

-Banjo - 6
-Bagpipes - 7
-Harp - 4
-Bells - 3
-Zither -3
-Mandolin - 3
-Kazoo - 3
-Mouth harp - 3
-Flute -3
-Dulcimer -2
-Clarinet -2
-Trombone -2
-Cello - 2
-Castinet - 2
-Flugelhorn - 2
-Tambourine - 2
-Glockenspiel- 2
-Washboard - 2
-Bassoon -2
-Maracas - 1
-Ocarina - 1
-Dan moi - 1
-Ondes martenot - 1
-Coronet -1
-Euphonium -1
-Accordion - 1
-Whistle - 1
-Gong - 1
-Didgeridoo - 1
-Tanpura - 1
-Taishogoto - 1
-Jug - 1
-Phone book - 1
-Bones - 1
-Triangle - 1
-Toy hammer - 1
-Gut bucket - 1
-Bass - 1
-Music box - 1
-Euphonium - 1
-Theremin - 1
-Vibes - 1
-Hammered dulcimer - 1
-Saxophone - 1
-Xylophone - 1
-Footstomp - 1
-Cowbell - 1
-Synthesizer - 1
-Viola - 1
-Melodica - 1
-Sitar - 1
-Coupa coupa - 1

-Theorbo - 1
-Cymbals -1

Please let me know if I've missed putting a video on the Play List.
I'll work on the wrap ASAP and am working on my version of Paul Desmond's Take Five for Del's Season 555. I'm sure mine won't be the only one.
Good idea Jim, I did a version of this a while back and transposed it down a step and wrote out the chords for GCEA and Baritone. You can access that admittedly scribbly copy here: Take Five with notes. I hope it is helpful to you. My video is here

Good idea Jim, I did a version of this a while back and transposed it down a step and wrote out the chords for GCEA and Baritone. You can access that admittedly scribbly copy here: Take Five with notes. I hope it is helpful to you. My video is here

Thanks a lot Drew. I'm sure I won't get it up to that quality before the season's over.

Add one more for the guitar!

This is a John Hiatt tune, and I watched a clip from one of his concerts with where he said that he was inspired by seeing a video where a musician threw his bass up in the air and, when it came down, it hit him in the head. Crazy. I would have guessed the song was inspired by Pete Townsend, but who's gonna doubt the author?

Anyway, apologies if my uke is going out of tune by the end of the video. I was mucking about with this song this morning and broke my D-string. I restrung but figured I'd let the strings stretch for a couple of days (and probably not contribute this season). But then I ended up at a local beer garden trying their Oktoberfest offer when John Hiatt came over the speakers. So, really, I had no choice...

Here's a picture of me playing the half-a-tele I was trying to describe in my comment. Mid 90's, I guess. I've always worn sunglasses when I play!

Attachments

• 20180117_170025.jpg
    20180117_170025.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 14

Hey UkerDrew, I'm never gonna get Take Five learned well enugh to contribute to Del's Season 555 by Sunday. Why don't you do it? That's a really cool version.

Here's a picture of me playing the half-a-tele I was trying to describe in my comment. Mid 90's, I guess. I've always worn sunglasses when I play!
THAT IS KILLER!!! Is "Fishpond" the name of your band, or perhaps of the venue?

Last edited:
Top Bottom