Soprano finger style cover by a Parrothead

Oldscruggsfan

Reaction score
I'm posting this soprano finger style cover in the hope of looking back in the future and saying to myself "Wow, Precious, how far you've progressed!" Clearly, I needed to work on chord/ melody (and still do).
I shot this back in February 2022, around one month after finishing the assembly of my kit uke & maybe 2 weeks after the final coat of clear spray lacquer fully dried. Please keep expectations low and forgive the lousy sound quality, which is a result of the fancy Silicon Valley guts inside my smart phone. It should be obvious why I've titled this cover, "Stepson of a Stepson of a Greenhorn Deckhand".
Since February, I've practiced at least 15 minutes a day and have added the following setup/ upgrades: (1) Changed out the plastic nut and saddle for bison bone. (2) Re-positioned the end-plate strap button that I'd originally attached off-center; (3) Filed nut slots to drop the action at 1st fret; (4) Sanded the base of the saddle to get the same result at #12, which dropped string height from just over 4mm to 2mm; (5) Poured 2 cups (one at a time, with a minute or so between pours) of brand-name wood hardener through the sound hole and swished it around to harden the entire interior back of the cheap plywood sound body.
IMHO #4 cured intonation issues but reduced volume, then #5 not only restored volume but possibly added a tad of sustain. It gave Yowling Ginger Tom a bit of new swagger anyhow.
Here's the link to my brand new You Tube channel.
I hope it works b/c I'm technology deficient and wouldn't have gotten this far if not for the patient expertise of fellow UU member donboody!
Cheers!

Great-looking uke. Man, this is a good idea. I wish I had this kind of "before/after" style video to look at with myself. Not too late I suppose!

Great-looking uke. Man, this is a good idea. I wish I had this kind of "before/after" style video to look at with myself. Not too late I suppose!
Thank you. I've downsized all the fret markers since then. And, added white-out side dots FWIW. I painted the neck as a green tri-county variable-banded uke snake. Its open mouth, fangs & forked tongue are on the heel, and its tail meanders between & around the back sides of the lousy open-backed tuners. Back of the body is an armadillo scene in shades of purple. Early on, I considered scrapping the plastic bridge in favor of one of decent tone wood but there is a limit to how much lipstick one should keep putting on a pig, LOL.

Thank you for sharing your progress in music. Good luck in exploring this most beautiful instrument.
One of my friends (now sadly passed away) spoke almost 20 languages - and played the cello. How? "15 minutes a day" was his answer.

Top Bottom