Somewhat back after hand surgery and new uke

Jeffelele

Reaction score
So a while back I bought a Koaloha concert from a forum member in pretty much mint condition. Thanks David. Three days latter I had left hand surgery. The surgery was scheduled before I got the uke. I had a plan! I would play as best I could beforehand and then put the uke away as motivation for rehab. Stopped my regular forum reading to mitigate frustration.

Eventually, after a few months, I felt ok to start working back to my pre-surgery routine. It took longer than I expected to play as normal and to rebuild my ability to just play freely for desired time. I found it also took a while to get my head back in the game.
C
I’m back now and have put a link to two new songs I wrote in this period. A bit of empathy towards those hanging on the edge of financial meltdown in a hard time. No matter the politics it’s been a rough time for many.

I bought the Koaloha because I’ve really liked the sound and I read comments on UUF that it was an easy neck to play on. I agree with that observation.

Tried Worth CM, Living Water, Uke Logic, Martin M600 (yeah, that was a wild card but thought why not). Also a Thomastik Enfeld (spell?) C string. Also tried some mixed brand efforts. Things to do while healing to reduce frustration. All fine strings but the LW worked best for me on this particular uke. The LW C string was the least “thuddy” and overall best for what I wanted. Thanks for the new LWs David.

I opted out of the original tie bridge configuration for string beads. I tend to play with the heal of my palm lightly resting on the bridge as my preferred position and the strings on the tie bar annoy me.

I really like the beads. With a bit of effort learning how to use them is easy. They make a very good and strong connection to the bridge. If you worry that they might allow string slippage, they don’t. Once the string has bitten down on itself they don’t move at all. My tip on that is to go slowly where the string loops over itself and don’t pull tight until you feel it bite. Yes I know that rhymes.

Pic attached shows how safe the tie down is. Notice the tiny tail left when I was done and cut off any extra. Once it’s tight it is right! Yes, another rhyme. I can’t help it. Got them at the big A store. It said something about new lower profile.

Hope this was of some interest. Hope you like my new song.

Intended on having two songs and a pic but I got Covid and pneumonia a few days ago and this is all I can manage right now. Covid happened he day I was going to record the second song.

NOTHING LEFT THAT’S YOURS

Hear them talking on the mind radio
To interior walls you’d better go
Jump into the bathtub put your hands up on your head
it’s coming from the skies gonna leave you cold and dead

Oh oh I wish that I did know
how to shut off this damn radio
Oh oh even just to turn it down
it’s got me twitch dancing like some broke down circus clown

It’s not a hurricane it’s not a cyclone
it’s a letter from the credit card
a threat to shut the phone
it’s coming through the windows
it’s coming through the doors
it’s coming to remind you there’s nothing left that’s yours

Am I just raving or can I be saved
or is this some punishment for how I’ve behaved
feel those waves breaking on my head
they don’t care if I’m alive or dead

It’s not a hurricane it’s not a cyclone
it’s a letter from the credit card
a threat to shut the phone
it’s coming through the windows
it’s coming through the doors
it’s coming to remind you there’s nothing left that’s yours

Last edited:
Glad your hand is back up to speed. Sounds really good, and I like the lyrics. Did you forget the pic of the beads?

Sounds great, some depressing lyrics, but that's what "the blues" are all about. I also have the string ties on one of my ukes and really like them...20210723_162036.jpg

You’ve been through a lot with your surgery & now COVID and pneumonia.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and lots of enjoyment from your Koaloha.

Thanks Dow, Rusty Dusty, and Bill. Appreciate the comments.
I just ran out of energy to remember how to post a pic and then do it.

The lyrics were inspired by a book I was reading and the effects on someone who lost hope after falling into debt he couldn’t deal with. He felt alone and humiliated. It hit me hard. His struggle was not completely alien to me. I picked up a uke and this song came to me.

I like to think that someone might feel it as empathy and that they are not alone in their hard time. Of course, hope others will just like the song.

Jeff

Thanks Dow, Rusty Dusty, and Bill. Appreciate the comments.
I just ran out of energy to remember how to post a pic and then do it.

The lyrics were inspired by a book I was reading and the effects on someone who lost hope after falling into debt he couldn’t deal with. He felt alone and humiliated. It hit me hard. His struggle was not completely alien to me. I picked up a uke and this song came to me.

I like to think that someone might feel it as empathy and that they are not alone in their hard time. Of course, hope others will just like the song.

Jeff
Thanks Joyfull Uke!

Like the song and the sound of you playing the ukulele! Hope recovery on all fronts is complete and speedy!

Welcome back! And, so glad to hear that you're mending from the surgery. Nice song, even if a bit of a downer. Thanks for posting.

RustyDusty’s pic does the job showing what the beads look like and how you can depend on them not slipping.

thanks RD!

My signature line is an originals playlist.

Last edited:
Glad to hear your surgery was successful and your recovery efforts are also. Sorry you also had to struggle with COVID & Pneumonia as well.

I can empathize with the song. A lot of people, including my friends and relatives, have been hit hard by this pandemic. Thanks for posting it.

All the best for your continued recovery and creativity.

Top Bottom