Some tips that's forgotten

Following on from Stoneyrun above I’d say that getting hung-up about perfection is unhelpful. Doing my best and then moving on to something fresh works for me but YMMV. I often revisit pieces and typically my playing is slightly better on each revisit, and if not then I’m working at maintaining skills rather than loosing them. Remember to play easier things for pleasure, the tougher stuff is to develop further skills but the reason behind playing (never forget it) is for pleasure.

Long ago I was told to set manageable goals and one of them was to practise for a short time every day. I don’t always do so, sometimes I forget, but little and everyday playing does seem to make the difference.

Remember that you are an individual, what works for someone else might or might not work for you.

Last edited:
I keep a list of songs I can't quite get right, but I know I will eventually. I know because I love the particular piece and won't just discard it because I can't play it now. Those chord changes that baffled me a year or two ago show up in other, sometimes easier, songs so it's great to go back and try again. It calming to know I've already picked out what I want to learn and can go to the list to find them and make progress. All in good time.

Last edited:
More for newer players, but try to spend a bit of your practice time consciously playing either with your eyes closed or looking at something eye level in front of you. Helps break the habit of always looking at the fretboard. That in itself solves other problems with posture, confidence, etc.

Even if it's just chord changes and not a song, it helps! You will probably find you didn't need to be looking at the fretboard as often as you thought you did!

More for newer players, but try to spend a bit of your practice time consciously playing either with your eyes closed or looking at something eye level in front of you
This one is easy to follow for me as a beginner because I am incapable of remembering anything and have to read the TAB (on a music stand in front of me) as I play unless I am practicing like one bar over and over. :D

Last edited:
I keep a list of songs I can't quite get right, but I know I will eventually. I know because I love the particular piece and won't just discard it because I can't play it now. Those chord changes that baffled me a year or two ago show up in other, sometimes easier, songs so it's great to go back and try again. It calming to know I've already picked out what I want to learn and can go to the list to find them and make progress. All in good time.
My list of "oh, I should try that one" songs grows by about 3 or 4 a day, but I seem to only look into about 3 or 4 per week. There's gonna be a backlog!!!

I'll add one myself: if you use nails, take care of them.
This is regardless of length (short or long), shape (round or sharp). It really helps to keep them clean and smooth.

What I mean is: after you file them and before you play if you have time, use nail polishing nail file. Not a regular glass nail file, but an extremely smooth one (they often look like blocks numbered say 1-5 or 1-7, they are usually also marketed to shine polished nails or something).

Using those super fine sides that look like they do almost nothing to your nail at 45 degree angle from below really improves the tone in my opinion. Having tiny sharp points or burrs that catch (noticeably or not) on the string makes it much harder to get a clean consistent sound.

Every time I neglect it for couple days and then smooth them out I am surprised/reminded how better I sound and how easier to get consistent tone it is.

Last edited:
I'll add one myself: if you use nails, take care of them.
This is regardless of length (short or long), shape (round or sharp). It really helps to keep them clean and smooth.

What I mean is: after you file them and before you play if you have time, use nail polishing nail file. Not a regular glass nail file, but an extremely smooth one (they often look like blocks numbered say 1-5 or 1-7, they are usually also marketed to shine polished nails or something).

Using those super fine sides that look like they do almost nothing to your nail at 45 degree angle from below really improves the tone in my opinion. Having tiny sharp points or burrs that catch (noticeably or not) on the string makes it much harder to get a clean consistent sound.

Every time I neglect it for couple days and then smooth them out I am surprised/reminded how better I sound and how easier to get consistent tone it is.
And keep them moisturized and away from water.

Every year when it gets really cold and I've neglected to wear gloves as often as I should, my nails start breaking. Then I realize I haven't been kind to them. Rubbing a bit of cream or oil around the cuticles at least once a day, wearing gloves when doing dishes or just outside in very cold weather, etc. really helps.

Incorporate dynamics - I'm always happy to hear a song come out of my instrument, but the exact notes themselves are only part of the equation!

Top Bottom