SOLD-Ulu (Breadfruit) Style 2 Soprano, Brad Donaldson_SOLD

richntacoma

Reaction score
For sale, a 2021 Brad Donaldson Ulu Style 2 Soprano. Gotoh UPT, and Ulu top, back and sides. Ulu is breadfruit, and it seems hard to get really good sets that are big enough for instruments. This set was purchased from Pegasus Guitars, and is super sweet. This has a radius fretboard. It has a clear plastic pick guard that was professionally put on by the luthier.

What does Ulu sound like? (or this ulu, at least) It is bright, but very, very different than any other wood I have heard. It is a crisp, sweet sound. It is bell like, and almost has a ring to it. Different than Koa or Spruce, but it is great sounding.

So why am I selling this sweet uke? The neck was set and the bridge was made so the action really is not going to go much lower than it is. It is low enough for most players, in particular those interested in finger style or chord melody, currently measuring at 6/64 (measured by a luthier who just checked it out to see if there was an easy way to get it to my super low action!). This is great for most people, but I really do like my action set to 1/16th of an inch due to the start of rheumatoid arthritis (thanks mom and dad!!) I also have two kind of spendy customs coming, and am committed to trying to get down to 5 or 6 ukes total, and really need to put some more money in the uke fund. Somebody is going to be very happy.

The condition is like new, with the slightest faint scratch on the back that is super shallow (cannot feel). $525 shipped within the COUS. Payment via Zelle or Paypal F and F--Glad to give you my work info so you can see I am legit. I have also brought, sold and traded with multiple people here.
Ulu 1.jpeg
ulu 2.jpeg

ulu 3.jpeg
ulu 4.jpeg

Attachments

• ulu 4.jpeg
    ulu 4.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Sending you a PM

Lovely colour. Interesting wood. GLWTS!

I don't know if Rich sold this one yet, but just a follow-up on breadfruit wood (ulu in Hawaiian). Brad did indeed get the wood from me. Ulu is prized here in Hawaii for the fruit. The wood is difficult to get because no one normally cuts down an ulu tree. Besides the fruit, it is a beautiful tree. The wood is realy great for instruments. Exceptionally lightweight, but still very strong due to the interlocking fiberberous nature of the grain. Not the easiest on resaw blades! I lived in Hawaii for many years before I finally got some of this great wood to use. It is under appreciated for instruments because it is not flashy like koa. Also works great in combination with other hardwood backs and sides, in the same manor that you would use spruce or redwood. An all ulu uke is rare to find. Ulu makes an instrument that I would best describe as similar in sound to those great old, featherweight, mahogany Martin's. I sell some ulu sets, but they are expensive due to the lack of availability.-Enjoy your buildling, Bob

I don't know if Rich sold this one yet, but just a follow-up on breadfruit wood (ulu in Hawaiian). Brad did indeed get the wood from me. Ulu is prized here in Hawaii for the fruit. The wood is difficult to get because no one normally cuts down an ulu tree. Besides the fruit, it is a beautiful tree. The wood is realy great for instruments. Exceptionally lightweight, but still very strong due to the interlocking fiberberous nature of the grain. Not the easiest on resaw blades! I lived in Hawaii for many years before I finally got some of this great wood to use. It is under appreciated for instruments because it is not flashy like koa. Also works great in combination with other hardwood backs and sides, in the same manor that you would use spruce or redwood. An all ulu uke is rare to find. Ulu makes an instrument that I would best describe as similar in sound to those great old, featherweight, mahogany Martin's. I sell some ulu sets, but they are expensive due to the lack of availability.-Enjoy your buildling, Bob
Though its certainly not native to Hawaii, are you aware of anyone ever using Pawlonia (princess tree) to build instruments? As I understand it, its wood has similar characteristics as those you described for Ulu/ breadfruit.

Pawlonia is sometimes used in place of swamp ash for solid body guitars. I've also seen a couple of steel string guitars from a California Bay Area builder that were all Pawlonia. I don't know of any builders here using it. Koa is King for Hawaii builders, at least for as long as koa will still be available.-Bob

Top Bottom