SOLD!: Kiwaya KS-1

EDW

Reaction score
Kiwaya KS-1 ukulele-like new condition. I bought this a handful of months back, but don't use it much. This is made from the thin high tech laminate mahogany that Kiwaya is noted for. The instrument has a nice resonant tone, fantastic action and is very comfortable to play. It sounds and plays better than many solid instruments due to Kiwaya's great design and flawless fit and finish. $200 shipped in the US. Send me a PM or email

IMG_1204.jpegIMG_1205.jpeg

Good looking uke for the price. Did you add the compensated saddle & what material is it cut from?

The instrument is completely as it came. Kiwaya makes them with that saddle. Not sure of the material.

I highly highly recommend somebody purchase this ukulele because based on my experience it is going to be better than any other soprano you will find at this price range. $200 shipped is an absolute steal and I figured this would be sold after the first comment. If you are a beginner, especially, this is an ukulele that will not leave you wondering whether the problem is you or the equipment. It will be clearly you.

These are great ukes, I've had one for a few years. They sound great, and are very well built. The combo of a wide nut/spacing and low frets make these the easiest playing ukes I've owned, a real joy to play, and one of my faves. GLWS.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great comments. Kiwaya fit and finish, sound and playability are the top of the heap

You can buy new on on Amazon for under $200 .
Famous FS-1G
And random sellers from Amazon set up their ukes well, right? At Elder, this uke is $285, with tax that is into the 300s. General rule of thumb, unless you find something unethical or strange, perhaps such a comment is unneeded?

Ed is also an awesome dude, and far more reliable than random Amazon seller.

And random sellers from Amazon set up their ukes well, right? At Elder, this uke is $285, with tax that is into the 300s. General rule of thumb, unless you find something unethical or strange, perhaps such a comment is unneeded?

No disrespect meant .
I was responding to "Wtf how is this still up here"

Also Famous /Kiwaya have been known to be well set-up from the factory .

But I hear ya , and will refrain from such comments in the future .

And random sellers from Amazon set up their ukes well, right? At Elderly, this uke is $285, with tax that is into the 300s. General rule of thumb, unless you find something unethical or strange, perhaps such a comment is unneeded?

I appreciate the kind words. FWIW- this instrument was purchased from Elderly.

I realize it is always a gamble trying to sell a used instrument, even one like this that is in perfect shape. I feel that it is a very fair deal for a fine instrument.

Then again, I suppose it is a possibility that nobody is interested in really well made, great playing and great sounding instrument with superb action and intonation and easy playability! 😁

You can buy new one on Amazon for under $200 , including shipping
Famous FS-1G with gig bag
Last year aI ordered a uke on Amazon. It cme in a small v-shaped box that was banging around in a huge box with no packing material anywhere in sight. Miraculously it survived the trip, but I wound up returning it. I apologized to the shipper for the poor packaging, saying "this is how they sent it to me". He was quick to respond "They reap what they sow", and then proceeded to tell me of a customer who brought in a $2000 Martin guitar that Amazon had shipped with no packing materials. That one arrived broken in half. I won't order musical instruments from them any mrore. I won't even buy BOOKS from them, because they always arrive damaged in a flimsy envelope.

You can buy new one on Amazon for under $200 , including shipping
Famous FS-1G with gig bag
One wild card on the Amazon ones is that, depending on how they ship it, you may have to pay an additional customs import duty because they are being imported from overseas. https://helpspanish.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-374?language=en_US

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I used the estimation tool at Border Buddy for a $185 instrument imported from Japan and made in Japan, and it quoted me a $100 entry fee and a $27 Customs MPF fee.

I had to pay a customs fee once, years ago, for around $25 on an item imported from Hong Kong. I don't know if rates have gone up or if the difference is because it's from Japan (or that Border Buddy just isn't accurate).

But, generally, if the seller ships DHL you probably won't be charged the import duty because of how that shipper clears customs. If they ship airmail handoff to USPS, you MAY be charged the import duty at delivery.

Anytime I'm considering a higher priced item coming from overseas, I always bake in $25 for the import duty.

One wild card on the Amazon ones is that, depending on how they ship it, you may have to pay an additional customs import duty because they are being imported from overseas. https://helpspanish.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-374?language=en_US

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I used the estimation tool at Border Buddy for a $185 instrument imported from Japan and made in Japan, and it quoted me a $100 entry fee and a $27 Customs MPF fee.

I had to pay a customs fee once, years ago, for around $25 on an item imported from Hong Kong. I don't know if rates have gone up or if the difference is because it's from Japan (or that Border Buddy just isn't accurate).

But, generally, if the seller ships DHL you probably won't be charged the import duty because of how that shipper clears customs. If they ship airmail handoff to USPS, you MAY be charged the import duty at delivery.

Anytime I'm considering a higher priced item coming from overseas, I always bake in $25 for the import duty.

For most items being imported into the US the threshold is $800 USD before you are assessed import duties. I've shipped and received textiles to/from the EU and UK and have never been charged import duties in the past four years. The most expensive transaction was roughly $450 USD (for a leather jacket made in Scotland but coming from Norway).

If you use a third party shipper like DHL they will charge you a fee related to customs but it's more of a handling fee than actual import duty. They also move things across the border a lot faster than USPS, so you have to decide if the convenience fee is worth it. When I've shipped/received using the global postal system I've had items sit waiting in customs for nearly a month. For a textile not that big of a deal. For a ukulele, yeah, kind of a big deal.

Meanwhile.... EDW still has a really nice uke for sale at a good price. These Kiwaya's are phenominal. I'd put their laminates up again many many solid sopranos. This is a good buy.

Meanwhile.... EDW still has a really nice uke for sale at a good price. These Kiwaya's are phenominal. I'd put their laminates up again many many solid sopranos. This is a good buy.
Besides, it's good to support a fellow UUer, Amazon, IMO, leaves a lot to be desired.

Top Bottom