SOLD - Kala KA-ASMHG-T - SOLD

salsarev

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I bought this one new a couple of weeks ago from the Ukulele Site (HMS). It's an exclusive model for HMS only. Very comfortable to play with the rounded edges and HMS setup. The only reason I'm selling is because I have an opportunity to buy another uke, so this one needs to go. I replaced the Aquilla strings with Freemont Blackline. This uke is still available from HMS for $240+setup+case+shipping which makes it about $350. Mine is "as new", setup buy HMS and I'm including a hard gig bag. So you're getting a virtually brand new uke with free setup, case, and shipping!
Here's the specs from HMS:
Materials
Solid Spruce Top
Solid Mahogany Back & Sides
Satin Finish
Mahogany Neck
Striped Ebony Fingerboard
GraphTech NuBone® Nut & Saddle
Aquila Super Nylgut® Strings
Measurements
Total Scale Length: 17”/43.18cm
Body Length: 11.75”/29.85cm
Overall Length: 26”/66.04cm
Nut Width: 1.38”/35.05mm
Saddle Width: 2.09”/53.15mm
Lower Bout Width: 9.25”/23.5cm
Upper Bout Width: 7”/17.78cm
Lower Bout Depth: 3.25”/8.26cm
Upper Bout Depth: 2.75”/6.99cm
String Spacing
At Nut: G to C = 8.94mm G to A = 27.09mm
At 12th Fret: G to C = 10.5mm G to A = 32.56mm
At Saddle: G to C = 12.4mm G to A = 38.10mm

All this goodness is $old shipped to CONUS. Thanks for looking!

IMG_8610s.JPGIMG_8613s.JPGIMG_8615s.JPGIMG_8616s.JPGIMG_8619s.JPGIMG_8620s.JPGIMG_8622s.JPGIMG_8606s.JPG

Last edited:
I bought this one new a couple of weeks ago from the Ukulele Site (HMS). It's an exclusive model for HMS only. Very comfortable to play with the rounded edges. The only reason I'm selling is because I have an opportunity to buy another uke, so this one needs to go. I replaced the Aquila strings with Freemont Blackline. This uke is still available from HMS for $240+setup+case+shipping which makes it about $350. Mine is "as new", setup buy HMS and I'm including a hard gig bag.

I have the pics reduced in size to the minimum but they aren't wanting to load for some reason. I will try to put them in the comments.

Here's the specs from HMS:
Materials
Solid Spruce Top
Solid Mahogany Back & Sides
Satin Finish
Mahogany Neck
Striped Ebony Fingerboard
GraphTech NuBone® Nut & Saddle
Aquila Super Nylgut® Strings
Measurements
Total Scale Length: 17”/43.18cm
Body Length: 11.75”/29.85cm
Overall Length: 26”/66.04cm
Nut Width: 1.38”/35.05mm
Saddle Width: 2.09”/53.15mm
Lower Bout Width: 9.25”/23.5cm
Upper Bout Width: 7”/17.78cm
Lower Bout Depth: 3.25”/8.26cm
Upper Bout Depth: 2.75”/6.99cm
String Spacing
At Nut: G to C = 8.94mm G to A = 27.09mm
At 12th Fret: G to C = 10.5mm G to A = 32.56mm
At Saddle: G to C = 12.4mm G to A = 38.10mm

All this goodness is fair and firmly priced at $285 shipped to CONUS. Thanks for looking!
Pics haven't shown up as of yet.

My new one arrives tomorrow. This one needs to go!
How does the Kala KA-ASMHG-T tenor sound compared to your Opio tenors? I understand they are not in the same price range, but does it hold its own?

How does the Kala KA-ASMHG-T tenor sound compared to your Opio tenors? I understand they are not in the same price range, but does it hold its own?
The Kala is similar in sound to the Opio w/spruce top. The Opio has a bit more sustain, which may be attributed to the Uke Logic strings. The only strings I have tried on the Kala are the original Aquila (didn't care for those) and the Freemont that are currently on it. I suspect that a lower tension string on the Kala would sound great. To my untrained ears, the only real difference is the slightly reduced sustain and a bit more brightness from the Kala. The reason I'm selling the Kala is because I had the opportunity to buy the Opio S. I prefer the neck width (a bit wider) and the neck profile of the Opio. I hope this helps! Thanks for the inquiry.

The Kala is similar in sound to the Opio w/spruce top. The Opio has a bit more sustain, which may be attributed to the Uke Logic strings. The only strings I have tried on the Kala are the original Aquila (didn't care for those) and the Freemont that are currently on it. I suspect that a lower tension string on the Kala would sound great. To my untrained ears, the only real difference is the slightly reduced sustain and a bit more brightness from the Kala. The reason I'm selling the Kala is because I had the opportunity to buy the Opio S. I prefer the neck width (a bit wider) and the neck profile of the Opio. I hope this helps! Thanks for the inquiry.
Congratulations on the Opio S! They have such beautiful voices. I just sold my Opio S concert only because I prefer tenors. The Kala sounds pretty good in it's own right though, especially considering it costs only 1/3 of the Opio.

One more question about uke comparisons. How does this Kala tenor with solid spruce top & solid mahogany back/sides sound compare to the Ohana TK-50G tenor with solid cedar top & solid rosewood back/sides that you sold a few months ago? I love the sound of spruce top tenors but wonder about cedar too. What about overall build quality, neck profile, playability, etc. between the two? Is one better for strumming vs. finger picking than the other? This Kala model is a great deal for an all solid tenor uke regardless, but since you’ve owned both I’m curious what you thought about one vs. the other.

One more question about uke comparisons. How does this Kala tenor with solid spruce top & solid mahogany back/sides sound compare to the Ohana TK-50G tenor with solid cedar top & solid rosewood back/sides that you sold a few months ago? I love the sound of spruce top tenors but wonder about cedar too. What about overall build quality, neck profile, playability, etc. between the two? Is one better for strumming vs. finger picking than the other? This Kala model is a great deal for an all solid tenor uke regardless, but since you’ve owned both I’m curious what you thought about one vs. the other.

I can't compare the sound of the two because I don't remember the nuances of the Ohana's sound. It was warm and clear but not "punchy"- if that term makes sense. The overall build quality was good - nice gloss finish and a lot of abalone trim. The neck profile was a bit slimmer than the Opio and perhaps a little more round ("c" shape) but I may not be remembering correctly. I'm sorry I can't give you a better comparison.

This Kala is a great deal!

Thank you. If I didn’t already have two spruce top tenors I would’ve bought this Kala one from you already!

This one is starting to feel neglected. :cry: Needs a new home!
I recommend listing on Reverb for a larger audience. When I posted my prototype Opio concert for sale on the UU Marketplace recently, it was getting 0 response even with price reductions, so I listed it on Reverb and within a day it was sold. Just add 10% to your list price to account for Reverb fees.

October is "rehome a ukulele" month. Really. I'm not kidding...ok, I'm lying. But this one does need a new home!
It’s a great deal for an all solid wood tenor with a spruce top. Hope someone scoops it up soon. I’m tempted but have my eyes on an all solid cedar top/rosewood back & sides tenor. GLWS.

Top Bottom