SOLD FS: Two Koaloha Opio Concert Ukes Spruce Top with Acacia Sides/Back Prototype and Sapele

tinaj

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m putting up two Koaloha Opio concert ukes for sale, because they deserve to be played more than I have been able to in the last few years I’ve owned them. I also gravitate towards my Cordoba 32T tenor strung with a low G and the Cordoba Mini M. The Opios are such lovely instruments - they will bring a lot of joy to someone with their beautiful, bright voices.

Prototype Koaloha Opio Concert Solid Spruce Top, Solid Acacia Sides/Back with Ko’olau/Pono Premium Hardshell Case - asking $350 plus $30 UPS Ground for CONUS shipping. Local pick up available in Austin, TX.

This uke's make date is April 2016. I bought it on eBay in Dec 2016 from its previous owner who purchased it from theukulelesite.com Hawaii Music Supply (I have his order receipt). It has HMS setup, and a thin gloss finish. One difference that I can see between this prototype and the production model Opio Spruce Top is that this one does not have the crown fretboard (near the sound hole) - it’s straight across like other Opio models. I do not know if there are any other differences, but the uke sounds wonderful to me - bright, punchy, and loud as you would expect from this model. The action at the nut is ~0.6mm and at the 12th fret is ~2.6mm. I just put a new set of Worth CM strings on it. The uke is in excellent condition and has no scratches or dings/dents/nicks, etc.. The only thing I've noticed is that on some parts of the edge between the front and the sides of the body, it feels just a bit rough and not perfectly smooth, perhaps due to the grain of the wood and the thin gloss coating. Other than that it’s in excellent condition. The Ko’olau/Pono case it came with is in mint condition, probably worth $100+ new. It comes with a strap.

(SOLD) Koaloha Opio Concert Solid Sapele with Hard Case

This uke's make date is Sept 2014. It has a thin satin finish. It was sent to me by Koaloha in Nov 2016 as a warranty replacement after the one I purchased from Mim earlier that year developed a fret issue shortly after. This one des not have Mim’s set up so I had the action lowered - it’s ~0.6mm at the nut and ~1.85mm at the 12th fret. For a higher action, I do have another bridge that’s ~1mm higher as well as a new nut (both from Koaloha) that will be included in the case so the buyer can raise the action. I just put a new set of Worth CM strings on. It has a beautiful voice that’s warmer than the spruce top, not as loud but perhaps more colorful. It’s in excellent condition overall - no dings/dents/nicks, except for some minor scratches on the front side of the uke body that are only visible at certain angles under good lighting (see pics). One area is in the upper right corner (to the right of the fretboard), where it looks like some strumming marks from finger nails on the satin finish. Another one is lower on the body to the right of the bridge, a horizontal minor scratch about 3/4” inch long. These marks are hard to see normally, and I can’t feel them besides the natural texture of the wood itself. The hard case is in mint condition (Note: it does not come with a strap and has no D rings for straps to clip onto).

During the six years I've owned these fine ukes, both have been stored in their hard cases on the shelf in my office closet where the humidity is 40-45% year round and the temperature range is 68F-78F. They’ve never left my office and I always put them back in the case after playing. My home is pet, smoke, and fragrance free.

A little bit about myself. I started learning to play the uke six years ago and joined the Ukulele Underground around that time. I play lightly and prefer finger picking a melody vs. strumming chords. I caught the UAS early on and have about ten ukes in my house right now, ranging from Makala and Islander sopranos to Cordoba and Opio concerts to Cordoba 30 Series tenors plus a Cordoba Mini M. Over time I find myself gravitating towards the low G tenors and the guitalele. Unfortunately within a year or so after I started my uke journey, I began having health issues (still dealing with it), and that has greatly reduced the amount of time and energy I’ve been able to put into my uke playing and learning. I’ve been meaning to find good homes for these fine Opio concert ukes where they will be well loved and have the opportunity to shine and bring lots of joy.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Offers welcome.

Pics of the Spruce Top model below. I'll add pics for the Sapele model in a separate comment since I'm limited to 10 pic in this post.

IMG_5366.jpgIMG_5367.jpgIMG_5368.jpgIMG_5369.jpgIMG_5370.jpgIMG_5371.jpgIMG_5372.jpgIMG_5373.jpgIMG_5377.jpgIMG_5365.jpg

Last edited:
Close up pics of the minor scratches on the Sapele concert and the hard case.

IMG_5362.jpgIMG_5363.jpgIMG_5364.jpg

Sapele concert is SOLD. Spruce Top still available. Offers welcome.

Top Bottom