SOLD - Bruko Spruce & Ovangkol Soprano

Jimpro

Reaction score
I am listing this vintage Bruko to cover cost of some new old stock and used Japanese ukes that I bought thru proxy buying from Japan. You may have seen my other For Sale listings.
This is a pre-1980 (according to Hubert Pfeiffer from Bruko) soprano with an interesting (maybe bear claw) spruce top and ovangkol (African wood relative of rosewood) sides and back. It also has original Grover Champion Deluxe friction tuners that work well. I have tried this instrument with nylon, fluorocarbon and now Aquila gut strings, which I have enjoyed very much for fingerpicking especially classical or renaissance music. This has that renowned Bruko sound but with vintage flavor.
I have included a bunch of photos to show it’s condition which is very good. You can see some worn areas especially on the body edges. Otherwise it is well taken care of. I am not the first owner and I have had it for about a year.
Happy to answer any questions.
Asking $150 includes shipping CONUS. With hard case.

added a short video below.
best,
Jim

Attachments

• DB67C344-D58B-4D60-A389-1C5F93F435F3.jpeg
    DB67C344-D58B-4D60-A389-1C5F93F435F3.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 02375257-A046-4AFA-A551-886755F62A02.jpeg
    02375257-A046-4AFA-A551-886755F62A02.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 237D1883-8F40-47AE-9E50-7073F1502902.jpeg
    237D1883-8F40-47AE-9E50-7073F1502902.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 66D7D2AA-1C00-469C-B8CD-59CE13E14B35.jpeg
    66D7D2AA-1C00-469C-B8CD-59CE13E14B35.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 7F8D67DA-3A33-4E8D-93D9-76E706748C99.jpeg
    7F8D67DA-3A33-4E8D-93D9-76E706748C99.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 103
  • B84AC24C-B1A4-4BFA-9306-E98944A0CC17.jpeg
    B84AC24C-B1A4-4BFA-9306-E98944A0CC17.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 106
  • A2CE289B-75CC-424F-9CA4-FFD74CFEFED5.jpeg
    A2CE289B-75CC-424F-9CA4-FFD74CFEFED5.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 8E85EEFC-0453-4641-B548-9D4636297E60.jpeg
    8E85EEFC-0453-4641-B548-9D4636297E60.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 100
  • C62C29A2-E03D-476A-BBAA-4CC692D282D0.jpeg
    C62C29A2-E03D-476A-BBAA-4CC692D282D0.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I am listing this vintage Bruko to cover cost of some new old stock and used Japanese ukes that I bought thru proxy buying from Japan. You may have seen my other For Sale listings.
This is a pre-1980 (according to Hubert Pfeiffer from Bruko) soprano with an interesting (maybe bear claw) spruce top and ovangkol (African wood relative of rosewood) sides and back. It also has original Grover Champion Deluxe friction tuners that work well. I have tried this instrument with nylon, fluorocarbon and now Aquila gut strings, which I have enjoyed very much for fingerpicking especially classical or renaissance music. This has that renowned Bruko sound but with vintage flavor.
I have included a bunch of photos to show it’s condition which is very good. You can see some worn areas especially on the body edges. Otherwise it is well taken care of. I am not the first owner and I have had it for about a year.
Asking $200. No case.
best,
Jim
Weekend bump with price drop

Asking $175 includes shipping CONUS. No case.
best,
Jim
Bump with price drop

I briefly owned a pre-1980 Bruko No. 6. It was a lighter build and had more open (IMO better) voice than the modern ones. I should have kept it. This is pretty cool. GLWS!

Last edited:
Asking $175 includes shipping CONUS. No case.
best,
Jim
Here is a sample of my so so playing of a little Sor study so you can hear a bit of the Bruko’s sound.

Last edited:
I don't know why I want to buy this. I've never played a proper Soprano. Don't know much about Bruko other than they've been around a LONG time and are German... seems pretty well known and respected.

I have at least 3 playable Concert ukes (plus a couple that are complete junk). I certainly don't need it. But, I'm intrigued.

Tell me more. :)

I don't know why I want to buy this. I've never played a proper Soprano. Don't know much about Bruko other than they've been around a LONG time and are German... seems pretty well known and respected.

I have at least 3 playable Concert ukes (plus a couple that are complete junk). I certainly don't need it. But, I'm intrigued.

Tell me more. :)
Bruko has a certain sound that I have not found in any other ukulele. It is made from all solid woods and the sound has a certain reverb/sustain that gives it the signature sound which can be more full and warm and even loud. I think it’s age has opened that sound more. I have played it with clear fluorocarbon strings, worth browns, and natural gut depending on the sound I want. You can hear from the video sample of its warm ring from the gut strings for something classical. Also bcz of the gut I trimmed my nails and used the flesh of the fingers. With nails the ring sparkles. The instrument has an integrated bridge/saddle so not easy to change the action. The original friction tuners hold well.

What I know about me is that I'm not after a "traditional ukulele" sound. I tend to play more bluesy stuff, and so far I've gravitated to Low G tuning. Research let me to "softer" soundboard woods, and I have a redwood uke that I really love. So, I'm pretty sure Koa and similar woods wouldn't be the sound I'm after. Redwood, cedar... and spruce... those are the deep tones I'm after. I'm not sure how much of that I'll actually get out of a Soprano. But, I suspect that the "unique" sound of a Bruko, being "non-traditional" might appeal to me.

I did a little poking around last night, and I found a couple people who have strung these Bruko sopranos for Low G and really liked it. I may or may not want to try that. Part of me would like to have a uke that's tuned "standard" should I ever want to easily jam with other people. (difficult to do with a Low G that's tuned down the Low F without a lot of mental transposition that I'm not good at!)

I'm still pondering. Wife has already told me she doesn't care how many ukes I buy. ("everybody needs a hobby", she says... and she's taken over my entire back yard with raised garden beds!)

If you've got a minute could you do another video to demonstrate how it sounds strummed?

What I know about me is that I'm not after a "traditional ukulele" sound. I tend to play more bluesy stuff, and so far I've gravitated to Low G tuning. Research let me to "softer" soundboard woods, and I have a redwood uke that I really love. So, I'm pretty sure Koa and similar woods wouldn't be the sound I'm after. Redwood, cedar... and spruce... those are the deep tones I'm after. I'm not sure how much of that I'll actually get out of a Soprano. But, I suspect that the "unique" sound of a Bruko, being "non-traditional" might appeal to me.

I did a little poking around last night, and I found a couple people who have strung these Bruko sopranos for Low G and really liked it. I may or may not want to try that. Part of me would like to have a uke that's tuned "standard" should I ever want to easily jam with other people. (difficult to do with a Low G that's tuned down the Low F without a lot of mental transposition that I'm not good at!)

I'm still pondering. Wife has already told me she doesn't care how many ukes I buy. ("everybody needs a hobby", she says... and she's taken over my entire back yard with raised garden beds!)

If you've got a minute could you do another video to demonstrate how it sounds strummed?
I will put a low g and do some strumming.

Top Bottom