Shop designed exclusive ukuleles, are they popular amongst the uke community?

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Curious about purchasing a ukulele shop exclusive. Are there pros and cons to this?

It would depend heavily on the shop and the uke. Rare and exclusive could be either a boon or a bane, depending on the level and quality of the uke, on how broadly interesting it is, and if you're buying it for yourself or to resell down the line.

I prefer to buy things that match my tastes, even if that makes them trickier to sell later. Current me (trying to sell a few things) thinks that past me (buyer of some weird stuff) was an idiot, but not enough of an idiot that I'd do things differently. I got my money's worth in play time before deciding to cut back the collection.

if a good shop and a good manufacturer, then it would be worthy of consideration if it is what you are seeking.

The first one that comes to mind we’re the cedar birds from aNueNue.

Shops sometimes work with a builder to make a custom version that only they sell. Sometimes it's just a special colour: I think my blue Fender Venice was only available through Amazon; if you bought from Guitar Center you might have had a red option instead. More dramatically, see @bazmaz review of aNueNue UT140 Light Bird Tenor Ukulele - World Of Ukes Exclusive - REVIEW
Oh. Then I suppose it would be about the money. If I'm buying a more unique version of one of the more ubiquitous brands, spending a little bit more would be acceptable. But if they were trying to pass it off as a custom uke and charging accordingly, I would definitely pass. I would rather save my money and get a full-fledged custom if I were going to travel down that path. But that's a whole different topic

These are mostly marketing gimmicks but sometimes they do give a big manufacture and opportunity to experiment a little with different different features or tone woods. If it is a design that I like better than the standard models and it sounds great for the price, then I would consider it. I wouldn't buy it just because it is a special shop model.

As others have stated, it depends. Store brands can be very good or...

Southern Ukulele Store in the UK has worked with ukulele companies to develop an exclusive model with features they wanted. According to Baz, with excellent results. Uke Republic used to sell Sailor ukuleles that they commissioned from LoPrinzi. Farida Ukuleles are, I believe, an Elderly Instruments exclusive. Every now and then, TUS has for sale a uke model made for them. But it's not a store brand, just an exclusive model.

The big music instrument chains often have a store brand that is just a re-badged Chinese mass-produced uke that is pretty low end. They buy them in bulk so they can sell them for a low price. I'd be leery about buying one of those.

Gee, all really great perspectives and gives me tons of food for thought. Had a glitch in the uke matrix and I've put off getting another Anuenue...so, still looking. That Lightbird, wow that's a beeutiful uke! Too bad Anuenue doesn't have that on regular stock rotation.

I'm looking at an Uluru uke and besides the inlay on the headstock, I'm finding it does indeed tick all the boxes for me. I've looked for reviews and history regarding these ukuleles, it seems they are well regarded but in small batch runs because they're more "boutique" ukuleles and not standardized like Kala or Ohana or even well established luthier shop made ukes. That makes me question if it would be a wise purchase.

Lots to think about! Thanks to everyone!

As others have stated, it depends. Store brands can be very good or...

Southern Ukulele Store in the UK has worked with ukulele companies to develop an exclusive model with features they wanted. According to Baz, with excellent results. Uke Republic used to sell Sailor ukuleles that they commissioned from LoPrinzi. Farida Ukuleles are, I believe, an Elderly Instruments exclusive. Every now and then, TUS has for sale a uke model made for them. But it's not a store brand, just an exclusive model.

The big music instrument chains often have a store brand that is just a re-badged Chinese mass-produced uke that is pretty low end. They buy them in bulk so they can sell them for a low price. I'd be leery about buying one of those.
Thanks for mentioning this, Ken. When reading the OP, Sailor brand was the first thing that came to mind.

I could be wrong but, I don't think store brands are quite what was referred to here. I mean, I don't think anyone would recommend Mitchell from Guitar center... More like collabs with or special editions related to a store.

As others mentioned, they are appealing if the have features that you prefer. Also for guitar store customs that I have come across they were often a bit cheaper than the standard equivalent. So bargain hunters often pick them up.

I happen to like store exclusive models quite a bit. At least in my experience, they can offer a unique set of features and tonewoods that would otherwise be much more expensive or might even be completely unattainable otherwise. For instance, I've owned the Kanile'a SUS model and I think it's an excellent deal. You can check the Kanile'a custom shop and see how much they'd charge for a cedar top mahogany back and sides uke. The SUS model was less than a standard K1 model. Similar thing with the Big Island Uli models. Big Island don't even produce a standard factory model with a softwood top but the Uli (again a SUS exclusive) has a really quirky combo of a cedar top with that fabulous coloured mango back and sides. There are loads of really good exclusive models from established brands and stores. There are no doubt some duds as well but I bet they're easily avoided if you stay clear of shady stores and brands.

The OP mentioned Uluru so I guess you're looking at the World of Ukes exclusive Sedera models? If that's indeed the case then I don't see an issue. If it's a combination of tonewoods you like and you've checked out some sound samples I'm willing to bet they're a really nice choice. Matt has them on discount at the moment since he's trying to get rid off the last batch.

I like when the more reputable shops work with quality companies to offer more to us. As others have said you usually get a some more/better features for reasonable prices. They bring their insight from years of dealing in ukuleles to create fine instruments with features they know players are looking for or will bring a new sound. I don’t necessarily look at them as collectible; just really good deals. For example WOU has a special model with Millar and SUS as others have mentioned have worked with several companies, most recently Flight. So they can also hit a more affordable price point than say special editions from the top builders that may become more collectible than player instruments

Last edited:
oh, there's one more thing if you're considering buying such a uke. Make sure you save a printout (or electronic copy) of the specs of your uke. Normally, these types of special runs don't have their specs on the manufacturer's website. This also means that if you're buying secondhand, you should be more careful.

I'm looking at an Uluru uke and besides the inlay on the headstock, I'm finding it does indeed tick all the boxes for me. I've looked for reviews and history regarding these ukuleles, it seems they are well regarded but in small batch runs because they're more "boutique" ukuleles and not standardized like Kala or Ohana or even well established luthier shop made ukes. That makes me question if it would be a wise purchase.
Like others have written before, I see shop exclusive models as additions to the maker's standard models. Often times a good uke shop makes wise choices in picking the maker & build and sells them for a reasonable price.

You mentioned Uluru. I own 2 of their tenors (among Anuenues, K-Brands & luthier made instruments) and my personal perception is that they are quite underrated in that I don't often see them mentioned here. Both are excellent ukes that I would put up against others costing a lot more, both in sound and overall level of finishing and detail. Handmade in small numbers in Vietnam from all that I know, so no comparison to factory ukes like Kalas & Ohanas. Super slim neck profile which i like a lot (especially given it is 'only' 35mm at the nut), nice DerJung tuners, and a bigger than average body giving it a very full sound and nice sustain. The first one I got from Musikhaus Sedlmeyr. Must have been a one-of-a-kind shop specified model as well because I never saw another one like this. A sitka spruce top that I would call master grade, with super tight grain and very nice silking, and african mahogany back and sides. Beatiful sound, very open and clear all over the fretboard. I think Peter Sedlmeyr did a sound sample for anyone interested, the parts up the fretboard sold it for me:
The other one came from Matt at World of Ukes, the Sedera III. A bit more, albeit subtle, bling with the rosette and binding all over the body, fretboard and headstock. Cedar top, and rather interesting lattice style bracing (my spruced topped is fan braced). Different in sound but equally beautiful. Barry describes is better than I could, you can read all of it here: https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/09/uluru-sedera-iii-world-of-ukes-tenor.html As Dohle pointed out, the time to buy one would be now.

Again, I didn't buy them because they were store exclusives (although I highly recommend both stores mentioned!), but because they are just very nice ukes that offer something different.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but, I don't think store brands are quite what was referred to here. I mean, I don't think anyone would recommend Mitchell from Guitar center... More like collabs with or special editions related to a store.

Like others have written before, I see shop exclusive models as additions to the maker's standard models. Often times a good uke shop makes wise choices in picking the maker & build and sells them for a reasonable price.

You mentioned Uluru. I own 2 of their tenors (among Anuenues, K-Brands & luthier made instruments) and my personal perception is that they are quite underrated in that I don't often see them mentioned here. Both are excellent ukes that I would put up against others costing a lot more, both in sound and overall level of finishing and detail. Handmade in small numbers in Vietnam from all that I know, so no comparison to factory ukes like Kalas & Ohanas. Super slim neck profile which i like a lot (especially given it is 'only' 35mm at the nut), nice DerJung tuners, and a bigger than average body giving it a very full sound and nice sustain. The first one I got from Musikhaus Sedlmeyr. Must have been a one-of-a-kind shop specified model as well because I never saw another one like this. A sitka spruce top that I would call master grade, with super tight grain and very nice silking, and african mahogany back and sides. Beatiful sound, very open and clear all over the fretboard. I think Peter Sedlmeyr did a sound sample for anyone interested, the parts up the fretboard sold it for me:
The other one came from Matt at World of Ukes, the Sedera III. A bit more, albeit subtle, bling with the rosette and binding all over the body, fretboard and headstock. Cedar top, and rather interesting lattice style bracing (my spruced topped is fan braced). Different in sound but equally beautiful. Barry describes is better than I could, you can read all of it here: https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/09/uluru-sedera-iii-world-of-ukes-tenor.html As Dohle pointed out, the time to buy one would be now.

Again, I didn't buy them because they were store exclusives (although I highly recommend both stores mentioned!), but because they are just very nice ukes that offer something different.

I was close to purchasing the Uluru sedara II (concert) because yeah, it's a beautiful ukulele and sounds great. I'm getting the impression that Matt from WOU knows how to design lovely ukes from past successes with his exclusives. I watched Baz's review of the Uluru tenor and that is a really gorgeous instrument.

Top Bottom