Shamisen , a three-stringed traditional Japanese musical instrument .

Amazingly skilful!

That was incredible! Kind of a cross between a banjo and a sitar...

... the track I posted made me think of the bark of a long neck soprano which is why I posted .
I think LN sopranos are popular in Japan .

Of course, I want one ...

I am fascinated by that thing they are using for a "pick" and the fact that they are plucking the strings with their chording hand. Incredible coordination there...

I am fascinated by that thing they are using for a "pick" and the fact that they are plucking the strings with their chording hand. Incredible coordination there...
And the vellum was traditionally made from cat skin

I consider the Shamisen the "king" of Japanese instruments in the same way that the violin is the "king" of european music. It's everywhere, folk music, classical art music, Kabuki, and recently shows up in pop every now and then.

I'm a shakuhachi player and play mostly traditional Sankyoku music. "Three voices", the traditional ensemble is Shamisen, Koto - a 13 string zither, and Shakuhachi, a bamboo flute. It's a great joy to study with and play with the string players.

Wow! Does that ever bring back memories of bar-hopping in Koza, Okinawa in the early 1970s. I was just learning to play guitar back then and the mama-sans at the bars would play their Shamisens when it got late and business slowed. When they tired of playing they'd let me try it. There was a method to their madness, the more I drank the better I played - at least to my ears.

My mother was a very talented samisen (& koto) player. She had a custom made instrument. The skin is traditionally cat skin. I always felt sorry for the kitty whenever I looked at her shamisen. I wonder what she ever did with it.

Here's the Yoshida Brothers playing "Kodo". Many oldtime gamers might recognize the song:
Nintendo Wii Mix:

Last edited:
Or, Appalachian?

Or, Southern Rock?

This kind of playing has been rambling around in my head for ... about 7 decades! I love it.

<edit> The opening of the Nintendo ad looks suspiciously like Pink Floyd's: Atom Heart Mother album cover. Of course, t'other end, Ehh?

Last edited:
They have a soft strip (leather?) between their left hand index finger and thumb, keeping the web off of the neck. I suppose that is to help their movement up and down the scale smoother.

The Pick can also be used for scraping the ice off the windshield of your car on the way to a gig!:unsure:

Top Bottom