Semi unknown all solid VS renowned laminate concert?

Erwitt

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm in the market for a 'serious beginner', if that makes sense, concert uke. My budget is around 150 euros (I could stretch it a bit further if it really makes a difference). I'm from Europe, so I don't have too many options.

I had my eye on the Snail SUC-M1 (laminated mahogany with excellent recommendations from World of Ukes, Souther Ukulele Store, Baz...), but then I saw a Mahimahi MC-7M (all solid mahogany) for almost the same price. This brand is not sol well known outside Europe and I have found very few reviews, but Baz gives a very good review of their soprano version: https://www.gotaukulele.com/2022/07/mahimahi-ms-7m-soprano-ukulele-review.html

So do you think that at this level it matters so much whether it's all solid or laminated? At the same price, do you prefer a good entry-level, all solid uke, or a excellent mid-range laminate, according to many recommendations? I know that all this talk about ranges is very subjective, but you got the point.

You might consider the upkeep/conditions that the ukulele will be kept. A laminate will not be sensitive to changes in humidity and temperature that a solid wood one might.

I don't think it matters, laminate or solid, at this price point. But with recommendation for the same one from Baz, SUS, and WOU, you would get a "sure" thing. If nothing else, you have someone to blame besides yourself.

I mean no offense but good entry level and excellent mid-range are terms that just cloud the issue. From what little I have read, it is unclear to me whether the Snail you mentioned is all laminate or has a solid wood top. At this price I would expect to see a more all laminate instruments and some instruments with solid top but laminate back and sides. An all solid wood ukulele at this price is unusual from what I have seen. BTW, I am not familiar with the European ukulele market, and my comments on price are assuming ~175 US dollars (~$175).

Your instinct is correct that all things being equal, solid wood is better than solid wood top is better than all laminate. But things are rarely equal, especially if you are comparing from maker to maker. There are more important issues than laminate vs. solid wood at this price point. I believe that where you buy the ukulele is very important, particularly if you are working online vs. in person. The setup of the instrument and the return policy of the seller would be at the top of my list of priorities. I would call and discuss the instruments you are thinking about with shops or suppliers where you might buy. See what they think and note how comfortable you are with the person/people on the other end of the conversation.

If you are buying a well reviewed ukulele from a dealer you trust, you are very likely to be happy with the instrument you get. If you have an issue once your ukulele arrives, the dealer should be happy to work with you to fix the issue or arrange for you to return the ukulele.

One last thing about reviews- @merlin666 mentioned variation from instrument to instrument. Variation from model to model of the same maker is generally a bigger issue. So the review of a different scale or slightly different model may be an indication, but is not at all a sure thing.

You might consider the upkeep/conditions that the ukulele will be kept. A laminate will not be sensitive to changes in humidity and temperature that a solid wood one might.

I don't think it matters, laminate or solid, at this price point. But with recommendation for the same one from Baz, SUS, and WOU, you would get a "sure" thing. If nothing else, you have someone to blame besides yourself.
It's a great price point for exploring ukes. Both snail and Mahimahi have good reputation; I believe UU'r @Voran plays Snail ukes. Deciding between the two is the best part of buying a ukulele!

It's a great price point for exploring ukes. Both snail and Mahimahi have good reputation; I believe UU'r @Voran plays Snail ukes. Deciding between the two is the best part of buying a ukulele!
Can't recommend the Snail enough, it is a glorious ukulele.

I mean no offense but good entry level and excellent mid-range are terms that just cloud the issue. From what little I have read, it is unclear to me whether the Snail you mentioned is all laminate or has a solid wood top. At this price I would expect to see a more all laminate instruments and some instruments with solid top but laminate back and sides. An all solid wood ukulele at this price is unusual from what I have seen. BTW, I am not familiar with the European ukulele market, and my comments on price are assuming ~175 US dollars (~$175).
No offense at all! I know they are nothing more than labels, just an attempt to sum it up in a few words. I hope this is understood!

The Snail is all laminate. I consider it an excellent mid-range because in a SUS video they say it's a step above other entry-level models, and they've been recommending it for several years in that price range. And I call the Mahimahi an entry-level model because.... well, I think an all solid at 150 € can't be anything else.

It should be, but after the few days reading reviews and listening samples I start to feel anxious. o_O

Can't recommend the Snail enough, it is a glorious ukulele.
I'm glad to read that! One more recommendation to the list. So from your experience, you think it's not a problem that it's all laminated?

Last edited:
Yes, I know they are nothing more than labels, just an attempt to sum it up in a few words. I hope this is understood!

The Snail is all laminate. I consider it an excellent mid-range because in a SUS video they say it's a step above other entry-level models, and they've been recommending it for several years in that price range. And I call the Mahimahi an entry-level model because.... well, I think an all solid at 150 € can't be anything else.

It should be, but after the few days reading reviews and listening samples I start to feel anxious. o_O

I'm glad to read that! One more recommendation to the list. So from your experience, you think it's not a problem that it's all laminated?
Nope, not at all.

All laminate doesn't always mean crappy sound, and sometimes far from it. Plus it means ease of maintenance compared to worrying about humidity etc. I would go with something you can get from a good ukuleles dealer that will handle the setup well for you, that's possibly more important. Exciting!!

Sometimes laminates can be better than all-solids depending on the ukelele. I’ve owned and enjoyed both. If it‘s comparing two similarly well-reviewed ukes though and other variables are comparable, I go for the solid because I usually prefer the sound. They often resonate nicely to my ear and don‘t have that lunchbox sound some laminates can have. I‘m not an expert but I imagine that the soundwaves can flow more naturally through single-ply solid wood than multiple layers of laminate with the wood grain overlapping in different directions.

Plus I‘m a bit old-fashioned and enjoy knowing that a uke is solid wood...a personal thing I guess :)

...although I have willingly bought an all-plastic (all-solid plastic? Ha ha) uke in the past so that logic just went out the window...

if you are in Europe buy a secondhand or new basic Bruko! Or the bargain solid but simple Mahimahi. Or something secondhand through a club member which you can try...
Ah - concert - there are a few solid mahogany Aria 250s around secondhand on FBook for about £60-80 with cases. Lovely instrument but not trendy.

Last edited:
Hi there!

I'm in the market for a 'serious beginner', if that makes sense, concert uke. My budget is around 150 euros (I could stretch it a bit further if it really makes a difference). I'm from Europe, so I don't have too many options.

I had my eye on the Snail SUC-M1 (laminated mahogany with excellent recommendations from World of Ukes, Souther Ukulele Store, Baz...), but then I saw a Mahimahi MC-7M (all solid mahogany) for almost the same price. This brand is not sol well known outside Europe and I have found very few reviews, but Baz gives a very good review of their soprano version: https://www.gotaukulele.com/2022/07/mahimahi-ms-7m-soprano-ukulele-review.html

So do you think that at this level it matters so much whether it's all solid or laminated? At the same price, do you prefer a good entry-level, all solid uke, or a excellent mid-range laminate, according to many recommendations? I know that all this talk about ranges is very subjective, but you got the point.

If you’re in continental Europe then your decision process should take that into account … the vast bulk of posters in this forum are not in continental Europe so have a slightly different perspective.

Both instruments will be good. In general there’s some overlap between laminate and solid instruments, at that price point you’re in the overlapping performance zone. As Ukes go your budget is in a sweet spot: enough to get a reasonable player, not a lot to loose if things go wrong and a tenth of what a really good Uke would cost.

I’d go for the reputable solid instrument (the brand is linked to Aquila strings) and think Pondweeds comments above a helpful guide.

Good luck.

Last edited:
if you are in Europe buy a secondhand or new basic Bruko! Or the bargain solid but simple Mahimahi. Or something secondhand through a club member which you can try...
Ah - concert - there are a few solid mahogany Aria 250s around secondhand on FBook for about £60-80 with cases. Lovely instrument but not trendy.
I think Bruko is no longer as common as it used to be... In in my search at least I haven't find any.

About the Aria, I'm sure yesterday I saw one, but I didn't put much attention because I didn't know that brand. And now I cannot find it!

I’d go for the reputable solid instrument (the brand is linked to Aquila strings) and think Pondweeds comments above a helpful guide.

Good luck.
Yes, Mahimahi is a brand by Mercatino dell Ukulele, which at the same time is owned (I don't know if totally or in part) by Aquila. So they must know something about ukes!

Last edited:
The Aria is the one that S.U.S. badged up as a budget instrument that played very well. Orangey looking with a black edge trim. Two, one for 60 with case (London) and another 85 in Alton. Both Facebook UK. There is a nice Bruko soprano for 80, but finding concerts is going to be more difficult. And getting secondhand things sent may also be more difficult. I think the older Mahimahi seemed to be well priced slightly simplified/downspecc'd Ohana models - all Chinese I presume, but well made. What small ads do you have locally? - an Ohana concert would be a good start too. Or a Stagg 60 model with Spruce top - plays really well.... but no one is going to steal it.

Be careful about opening up a can's worms (or whatever the saying...) and continuing to expand options as people mention that this or that is a good choice. Paralysis by analysis is a real danger. Likely that some others will be equal, but also maybe not better in this price range.

At some point, making a decision and getting the ukulele in hand will be of greater value than trying to make a more informed choice.

you also couldn't go wrong with that, but its not the really fancy eco laminate version... basic but would be lovely to play...

you also couldn't go wrong with that, but its not the really fancy eco laminate version... basic but would be lovely to play...
Is it just me, or does the bridge look completely wonky on that uke?
Like it fell off and was glued incorrectly back on?

Some people suggest Bruko. The new ones are twice OPs budget, so that would have to be second hand.

I am not really an expert in the price range OP is looking. Both the ukes he found have nice rating on GotAUkulele if you assume the brand is equally good at different scales, and will probably work fine. Personally I would probably pick the solid one with the cute headstock logo, but everyone has their own gut feel.

Top Bottom