Season 573 - Tom Waits for Lowe man

Steve,
I am breaking your rule to post one song per day. Tomorrow no song for me.
I wanted to bring this Nick Lowe song, then I saw John(OneManAndHisUke) has done it, and very nicely.

I injured my right wrist/palm yesterday, it hurts when I move my palm in a certain way, but I can strum. And I did a quick take, mistakes everywhere.
anyway...i wanted to also say- that those "originals" i write- i realise how "non-musically sounding" they are after I tried singing a Nick Lowe song.
Sorry for putting you guys through them all these years...

here is What's So Funny ....

Reactions: TBB
This is a very strange song... quite possibly coming from beyond the grave. Now this is a twist for usually it is the living that miss and mourn for the dead, but in this particular case it seems that the dead long for the living.

There are lots of ukulele versions out there, and it seems particularly popular with the girls, Agathe and Fine, though the original is by Tom Waits.

Reactions: joo
Not the song I meant to do (again 😂), but another anyway from Nick Lowe off his 1994 album, The Impossible Bird. Ron Sexsmith fans might want to know Ron has done a wonderful cover of this too.

"Had Me a Girl" by Tom Waits from The Early Years (released in 1991). When I first heard this song, I didn't listen to the lyrics carefully and somehow got an impression that the narrator had done something bad to the girls he sings about and is now in the prison or in the mental asylum. But when I listened again, I realised that I got it wrong. The girls have moved on and the narrator is most likely a decent guy - just feeling blue.

Here's the Morristown Uke Jam rendition of Tom Wait's "Jockey Full Of Bourbon".

Thanks for all you do!

------------------------- Marco

I just realised that the song I wrote for this Season has been on YouTube for a couple of days and I hadn't actually posted it to the Season yet (Senior moment combined with FAWM exhaustion).

So, here is:

Friday morning here, and I have caught up again. The latest batch includes evidence of what we all suspected, that Berni is growing old disgracefully, and a fine contribution from a whole load of people in Morristown.
Keep those songs coming folks.

This short-but-sweet Tom Waits song first surfaced as the titles rolled on an animated childrens film "Bunny" in 1998. A few years later it was included on the Orphans box set of out-takes & spare songs. I rather like it.

I saw this phrase on a t-shirt, and I suppose it's about growing old (or at least older) disgracefully. I'm not like the narrator, honestly...

I thought it would be fun to learn U Bass. This is what it sounds like after about a day of learning, and 94 takes.

Thanks for hosting, Steve. :)

Here’s an original that I guess loosely fits the ‘growing old disgracefully’ theme, though I fear that description oversimplifies and drastically underplays the sadness and devastation that alcoholism can bring to the lives of all those that it touches.

I wrote the words for this one as a poem in 1986, when I was just 19. I’d always planned to put it to music one day, though I never expected it to be 37 years later!

I’ve added some synth bass and pads, but nothing more.

Guys, sorry, I've been away taking care of my mom's estate in the wake of her passing, and she left me with my disabled younger brother to take home and take care of, so I've been out of town and away from all of... whatever this is, lol. We're still not done with moving him into my place and selling mom's, but I love both the artists in this challenge, and normally would be dropping two or three songs here for it...

But right now I can't. I'd like to share a Tom Waits I've already done, off the record, for no contest consideration, as a placeholder and I hope to be with you all again on a more regular basis in weeks to come.

Ssshhhh.... After a burst of overnight additions, it's been very quiet today, but I know the show ain't over until Ralf sings.

House for sale by nick Lowe

House for sale
I'm moving out
I'm moving on
This bird has flown
House for sale
I'll tell you where to redirect my mail
House for sale
Take a look inside
This is where love
Once did reside
But now it's gone
And that's the reason I'll be traveling on
Well the roof has given in to the weather
And the windows rattle and moan
Paint is peeling, cracks in the ceiling
Whatever's happened to my happy home
House for sale I've had enough
I'll send a van to get my stuff house for sale
I'm leaving like I'm getting out of jail
Do do, do do, who who who who
Do do do do do, do do do do do
The stairs are alarmingly shaky
And the carpet threadbare and worn
Fence needs mending
Garden needs tending
How soon it's become overgrown
Oh house for sale
I've had enough
I'll send a van to pick up my stuff
House for sale

Last edited:
Tom Waits sings this one from his most recent record in a delicate falsetto - or about the same register as my little singing voice :p

And ironically, I let things slide too much to learn Nick Lowe's "Lately I've Let Things Slide" this week. Heh.

About an hour to go. Will Ralf's song be the final entry?
I will be back later today for the round-up and the grand draw.

Top Bottom