Season 571 - Sampler Platter

I would say Bittersweet Symphony copied a melody line from The Last Time as opposed to actually sampling the original song, to me, that’s what I think of as sampling. As for royalties, I wonder if Mick n Keef played John and Paul for nicking a line from Eight Days A Week on I’m Free?
Oops, it seems like you are right, when you read the wiki close enough:

I just thought of it, because it is so often referred to a sample with complications.
Hmm. not a sample after all.

I just thought of it, because it is so often referred to a sample with complications.
Hmm. not a sample after all.
according to wiki - 'The Verve sampled and looped four bars, then added dozens more tracks, including additional strings, guitar, percussion and several layered vocals from Ashcroft.'

a modified and looped snippet of the original song's recording means it's a 'sample'

a lot of samples are altered in pitch and tempo - all part of the tech available to 'samplers'

Last edited:
I think the definition of sampling can be a grey area.
eg I was looking up who sampled the Beatles and Wu Tang Clan came up as sampling the Beatles "While my Guitar Gently Weeps " in their "The Heart Gently Weeps". At first they said they had sampled The Beatles. Later they clarified and called it a replay and an interpolation. Is it only sampling if digital data is used from the original source? I wouldn't mind doing While My Guitar Gently Weeps...but maybe it doesn't qualify.
George Harrison's son played guitar on Wu Tangs song..good interpolation :) Listening to this now I guess it's more a mash up already ruled out by Andy.

according to wiki - 'The Verve sampled and looped four bars, then added dozens more tracks, including additional strings, guitar, percussion and several layered vocals from Ashcroft.'

a modified and looped snippet of the original song's recording means it's a 'sample'

a lot of samples are altered in pitch and tempo - all part of the tech available to 'samplers'
It looks like the wiki contradicts itself.
In some places it refers to it as a sample, but in another paragraph it says they re-recorded the instrument parts in the intro, to sound like the sample - but not using the sample itself?. Perhaps they have the sample in the part that is not intro? Weird.

It looks like the wiki contradicts itself.
In some places it refers to it as a sample, but in another paragraph it says they re-recorded the instrument parts in the intro, to sound like the sample - but not using the sample itself?. Perhaps they have the sample in the part that is not intro? Weird.
4 bars ain't much and it obviously is not in the intro - which from what i remember is basically just violins - and then it thickens up and the 4 bar sample is in there somewhere?

not that important really - but it is not hard at all to find songs that do contain samples - rap music is the home of sampling - it's one of a very few seasons where i found the listening research not that pleasant......

i am glad it sent me down this rabbit hole though -

and i love this vid

Last edited:
Probably surprising (it surprised me), Melissa knows every word to “Straight Outta Compton.” Now to get her to do it outside of a long drive with little sleep…
Amen Break has to be here.
Question- in reggae, often many songs will be played to one “riddim.” Now they are copied but in the old days it was often a musician bringing a lick to several records (Leroy Sibbles and his bass come to mind immediately)…fair game or nah?
:unsure:… … nah, good idea Dave, but I’m looking for straight up samples. Like Wilson Pickett’s “Get Me Back On Time, Engine Number 9” was in Straight Outta Compton.

Reactions: TCK
Thanks for hosting, Andy!

I must confess - I went to the recommended website, entered the name of a song I wanted to cover this week, and was surprised to find it had been sampled in a song called ‘Fake Friends and J Cats BASED Freestyle’ by Lil B, and also in a song called ‘Ke Brize‘ by D-Fi Powet Revolte.

So the song I’m covering is an album track by James Blunt - I know it’s not cool to admit it, but I love his music, and especially this song. I played it a month or two back at a Seasons Zoom open mic meeting, so one or two of you might recognise it from there. And this is just me, my new baritone uke and some added reverb - nowhere to hide here. And it’s a very rare (for me) one-taker - and straight from the heart. 😢

Another way to play the game is to go to an album chock full of samples and check out songs from that perspective. The Beastie Boy's second album, Paul's Boutique is so loaded, it has it's own website listing samples and cultural references for each song. paulsboutique.info
Another good starting place is De La Soul’s debut Three Feet High and Rising.

This is correct, samples are very often looped, have added effects, or are otherwise altered in order to fit with the song doing the sampling. It’s still a sample though.

I think the definition of sampling can be a grey area.
eg I was looking up who sampled the Beatles and Wu Tang Clan came up as sampling the Beatles "While my Guitar Gently Weeps " in their "The Heart Gently Weeps". At first they said they had sampled The Beatles. Later they clarified and called it a replay and an interpolation. Is it only sampling if digital data is used from the original source? I wouldn't mind doing While My Guitar Gently Weeps...but maybe it doesn't qualify.
George Harrison's son played guitar on Wu Tangs song..good interpolation :) Listening to this now I guess it's more a mash up already ruled out by Andy.

i agree this is more of a mash-up. BUT, WMGGW has been sampled in other songs, so you could still play it if you wanted.

Thank you all for the questions, I hope the answers help clarify things rather than muddy the water.

I have added the contributions so far to the playlist and will be editing the link in the OP momentarily.

Thanks all for approaching this with an open mind. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Top Bottom