Season 571 - Sampler Platter

So I am really out of practice as my uke had a broken string and I finally received new string set and installed it last Saturday. To celebrate I learned a new song and thought I record it to see if new strings are ok after a week. A check revealed that Let It Be was sampled 30 times!

This week we have finally moved in to our "new" flat. In the little free time this has allowed me, I have been working on mastering N-Track for I-pad. Sadly, I have just got more and more frustrated as things it appears to do for others on YouTube videos, don't seem to work for me. I wanted to master the programme, so I could add samples to a song I was planning for this Season. However, today I finally admitted defeat and gave up (for now). So, I turned to the old fashioned way of song writing and set up a chord sequence that is identical (sampled?) from "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay". The problem was the melody was just too close to that song for comfort. So I jigged the chords a bit to a more typical blues and in the lyrics had the narrator asking for a sample of the lady's wares.

Hope this fits the bill in one way or another.

PS The WIFI in my new studio is crap. It was downloading at 200K (yes kilobytes) a second and uploading only slightly faster. So it took a long time to upload this to YouTube. I hope I can find a techie who can help me resolved this issue.

Reactions: TBB
Copyright infringement was the theme of the 146th Season of the Ukulele. Back then I wrote
The Turtles sued hip hop heroes De La Soul for performance royalties way back in 1989. I'm still mad at the Turtles after all these years.
and I posted a ukulele version of De La Soul's Transmitting Live from Mars.

Even though I'm still mad at the Turtles about the same thing a few years later, this Season is the perfect time to play the Turtles' song that De La Soul sampled so brilliantly...

And what better time to play a Beatles song that Wilson Pickett once recorded? De La Soul sampled Pickett's version for the beat of Transmitting Live from Mars. Obviously no better time than right now...

I love sampling.

And I still dislike lawsuits.

Thanks Berni and Ralf for your Sunday contributions. And here is one from your humble host, sampled by the Beastie Boys, who I don’t think have been mentioned yet other than Chris pointing people to the Rosetta Stone website for Paul’s Boutique.

The playlist should be up to date as of this post. Though I am sure most of the attention has been turned to those sweet, sweet harmonies coming out of Season 572, there are still a few hours left to give us a sample of your own ukulele playing.

Thanks again to everyone who chipped in this week. I’ll be back with a closing post in the next couple of days.

Top Bottom