Season 571 - Sampler Platter

Desert Pavement

Rock Doctor
UU VIP
Reaction score
Greetings Seaoninstas, welcome to Season 571

Well, the humming bird went to the right so…

We all have our ways of discovering new (to us at least) music. From crate digging to music magazines/websites to podcasts to word of mouth, and more. One of the ways that I discover new music rabbit holes to go down is through samples of music in other songs. So, this season I would like to hear songs that were sampled in another song.

This is an idea that has been rattling around in my head for a while, and Ylle’s introduction to her soon to be finished Season 570 made me chuckle - M.C. Hammer’s biggest hit, “U Can’t Touch This”, makes prominent use of the opening riff of Rick James’ hit “Super Freak”.

Maybe something will immediately come to mind, for example something else that qualified for Del’s recent Songs From the Back Burner Season, maybe not. If you are having trouble making connections here is a good place to start - https://www.whosampled.com/ If you use this make sure that you filter your search results by "Tracks that sampled X" from the drop-down menu at the top of your search results.

The Rules:

• The song you play must have been sampled by another song/artist
  • Please indicate the song and artist that sampled the song you play either in your post here or in your YT
  • Please announce that your contribution is for Season 571 somewhere in your YT post
  • Songs must be newly recorded for this season with the usual recent exception(s)
  • The Season starts at the stork of midnight Hawaii time on January 22 and ends at the same time on January 29. Remember there is still time in Ylle's wonderful Season 570; no reason to rush the doors here.
  • All the other rules… try to listen and leave a comment for everyone, collabs and multitracks most welcome (but the use must be front and center), originals welcome, etc. etc.

If you want to write an original please do! Use the idea of seeing something old through a new lens or with a new sense of appreciation as a starting point.

No prize this week. Most of the State of California was walloped pretty hard by a series of storms the past few weeks and the aftermath has put a lot of strain on a lot of people. So, for every song you play that was used as a sample I am going to donate $1 to a local food bank. If you feel so inclined, also play the song that sampled the song you played, which will garner $2 to the same cause.

There is no song limit.

I think once you look you’ll be surprised by how much music you might want to play is available to you.

PLAYLIST (now live)

Last edited:
Greetings Seaoninstas, welcome to Season 571

Well, the humming bird went to the right so…

We all have our ways of discovering new (to us at least) music. From crate digging to music magazines/websites to podcasts to word of mouth, and more. One of the ways that I discover new music rabbit holes to go down is through samples of music in other songs. So, this season I would like to hear songs that were sampled in another song.

This is an idea that has been rattling around in my head for a while, and Ylle’s introduction to her soon to be finished Season 570 made me chuckle - M.C. Hammer’s biggest hit, “U Can’t Touch This”, makes prominent use of the opening riff of Rick James’ hit “Super Freak”.

Maybe something will immediately come to mind, for example something else that qualified for Del’s recent Songs From the Back Burner Season, maybe not. If you are having trouble making connections here is a good place to start - https://www.whosampled.com/ If you use this make sure that you filter your search results by "Tracks that sampled X" from the drop-down menu at the top of your search results.

The Rules:

• The song you play must have been sampled by another song/artist
  • Please indicate the song and artist that sampled the song you play either in your post here or in your YT
  • Please announce that your contribution is for Season 571 somewhere in your YT post
  • Songs must be newly recorded for this season with the usual recent exception(s)
  • The Season starts at the stork of midnight Hawaii time on January 22 and ends at the same time on January 29. Remember there is still time in Ylle's wonderful Season 570; no reason to rush the doors here.
  • All the other rules… try to listen and leave a comment for everyone, collabs and multitracks most welcome (but the use must be front and center), originals welcome, etc. etc.

If you want to write an original please do! Use the idea of seeing something old through a new lens or with a new sense of appreciation as a starting point.

No prize this week. Most of the State of California was walloped pretty hard by a series of storms the past few weeks and the aftermath has put a lot of strain on a lot of people. So, for every song you play that was used as a sample I am going to donate $1 to a local food bank. If you feel so inclined, also play the song that sampled the song you played, which will garner $2 to the same cause.

There is no song limit.

I think once you look you’ll be surprised by how much music you might want to play is available to you.

PLAYLIST (placeholder until the contributions start rolling in)

I was wondering if a mashup like this would qualify. Please advise.

I was wondering if a mashup like this would qualify. Please advise.

Good question UXC - No, mash-ups (and straight covers) do not qualify. It must be a song that was sampled, like Super Freak was sampled by U Can’t Touch This, or Straight to Hell by the Clash was sampled in Paper Planes by M.I.A., or Walk on the Wild Side by Lou Reed was sampled by Tribe Called Quest’s Can I Kick It?, or famously (infamously?) Under Pressure by Queen was sampled by Vanilla Ice in Ice Ice Baby.

In other words, something that a recording artist intentionally sampled for a new recording. Not two songs that a third party figured out how to combine in a clever way. Those are great too, but not what I am looking for this season.

Good question UXC - No, mash-ups (and straight covers) do not qualify. It must be a song that was sampled, like Super Freak was sampled by U Can’t Touch This, or Straight to Hell by the Clash was sampled in Paper Planes by M.I.A., or Walk on the Wild Side by Lou Reed was sampled by Tribe Called Quest’s Can I Kick It?, or famously (infamously?) Under Pressure by Queen was sampled by Vanilla Ice in Ice Ice Baby.

In other words, something that a recording artist intentionally sampled for a new recording. Not two songs that a third party figured out how to combine in a clever way. Those are great too, but not what I am looking for this season.
OK, thanks.

Probably surprising (it surprised me), Melissa knows every word to “Straight Outta Compton.” Now to get her to do it outside of a long drive with little sleep…
Amen Break has to be here.
Question- in reggae, often many songs will be played to one “riddim.” Now they are copied but in the old days it was often a musician bringing a lick to several records (Leroy Sibbles and his bass come to mind immediately)…fair game or nah?

Je ne comprends pas ... but then, I am VERY old! I have to investigate this further!

Songs that quote from other songs?

Another search approach is to pick an artist you like and ask the question eg I googled “ has anyone sampled The Rolling Stones?”..a bunch of songs came up.
I heard that one of those samples turned out bittersweet for those sampling it. It was a huge hit, but they forgot to clear it, so Rolling Stones took all the royalties for many years 🤔

Hi Andy. Bit of a challenging theme. But not too bad after some digging. This Beck song has a chain of sampling. Beck sampled an organ riff from Them's ( Van Morrison's band) cover of Bob Dylan's " It's all over now Baby Blue". Beck's song "Jack-Ass" was in turn sampled by Insane Clown Posse in "Another Love Song". I've done Beck's song. Recorded on a new phone as opposed to my usual video camera.

not a fan of just sticking someone's actual music in your own as samplers are want to do....
and according to whosampled wonderwall has been sampled in 71 songs

I heard that one of those samples turned out bittersweet for those sampling it. It was a huge hit, but they forgot to clear it, so Rolling Stones took all the royalties for many years 🤔
Very clever! 👏👏 The bitter irony was the bit they sampled was written by Decca's orchestra arranger, one David Whitaker – who was not credited on either recording!

And the Stones have been on the other side too. On their 1997 single 'Has Anybody Seen My Baby?,' they had to give songwriting credit to k.d.lang, due to its similarities to her 1992 'Constant Craving.'

I would say Bittersweet Symphony copied a melody line from The Last Time as opposed to actually sampling the original song, to me, that’s what I think of as sampling. As for royalties, I wonder if Mick n Keef played John and Paul for nicking a line from Eight Days A Week on I’m Free?

Another way to play the game is to go to an album chock full of samples and check out songs from that perspective. The Beastie Boy's second album, Paul's Boutique is so loaded, it has it's own website listing samples and cultural references for each song. paulsboutique.info

Probably surprising (it surprised me), Melissa knows every word to “Straight Outta Compton.” Now to get her to do it outside of a long drive with little sleep…
Amen Break has to be here.
Question- in reggae, often many songs will be played to one “riddim.” Now they are copied but in the old days it was often a musician bringing a lick to several records (Leroy Sibbles and his bass come to mind immediately)…fair game or nah?

Songs that quote from other songs?

Procol Harum’s “Whiter Shade of Pale” sampled Bach. Does that count?
Bump

Top Bottom