Season 548 - Second City Songs

Hello again, John! This song was first recorded by "Jason Crest," a psychedelic group from Kent in South East England, but it did not achieve success until a French lyricist improved the original lyrics and it became a hit for Jules Dassin as "Les Champs Elysees." It belongs here because a version of the original song was recorded by "The Settlers," a group that hailed from Birmingham, UK. (Recorded on an 8-string Pono tenor with the addition of a bit of plunky French MOTU and an unruly crowd (that just happened to be going past) in the chorus, for added emphasis.)

Last edited:
Delightful. The uke sounds great and your voice pairs very well with it. Only criticism- Wish I could see the uke as you play.
Hello, "Oldscruggsfan," did you realise that you can post comments on the videos here by clicking on the YouTube version and leaving a comment underneath? (Good to see you here!)

Hello, "Oldscruggsfan," did you realise that you can post comments on the videos here by clicking on the YouTube version and leaving a comment underneath? (Good to see you here!)
I did not know that but, presuming it will result in less work for UU staff, I'll certainly comply.

Don't forget to call in at Pratt's Bottom, Great Snoring, and Twatt.
I grew up near Boghouses. Alas, I have never visited Great Fryup Dale, but I do now live near Pickletillum.

Meanwhile, I see so many marvellous songs posted this season, I hope to catch up tomorrow! I've also learned that custard powder was invented in Birmingham by Alfred Bird, so in my spare moments this week I've been trying to write a song about him. I guess someone's already done it though, it does seem the obvious choice.

Joko, you'll have to visit Newfoundland sometime and visit Joe Batt's Arm, Dildo, Blow Me Down, Conception Bay, Come By Chance, Witless Bay, Cow Head, Quidi Vidi, Nick's Nose. . .
View attachment 142630
For several years, I had a refrigerator magnet that said "I ❤️ Cow Head" that I bought at the Tete de Vache Museum. I've been through Joe Batt's Arm, and I was very disappointed that there was no sign along the road that said "Entering Dildo" (I had my camera ready). Incidentally, Dildo is literally on the road to Heart's Content.

I've done enough ELO and Moody Blues songs over the last decade that I have to be careful not to repeat myself.

But that doesn't mean I'm not gonna do more! This one is an ELO song.

In 1963, a family drove their Brown Bomber from Michigan to Birmingham.
And if you had planned on driving all the way straight your car better be equipped with a record player that had the
Vibro-Dynamic-Lateral-Anti-Inertial Dampening System!
(more information about this performance is to be found in the YouTube video description section)

Ok- my god the first week of school is a drain! I have about a million songs I want to play…can barely muster the energy to lift my Uke. I any event, I am glad Jim is here because this is a season that is right up his allly, and man…no GBH yet? No Napalm Death? One man can totally call me off on this as I am likely over- stepping, but the first cover of GBH (which for us old punks stands for Great Big Hairdos) Birmingham Smiles gets a set of strings from me. We need this covered on the Uke, and I cannot do it (I have tried…but I have my limits). PM me if you give it a go :)

This ones been sitting on the fence winking at me all week but I was reluctant to do It because Ali Campbells unique distinct vocals are what makes UB40 who they are Imo. You'll have to settle for some geezer sat in his dressing gown at 4am this morning trying to sing/strangle out at least a couple of notes in tune.

Last edited:
Good morning Seasonistas near and far, and thank you so much those of you who contributed songs overnight. The quality has not let up one iota and all have been added to the playlist. I have decided, given the wonderful work you guys and gals have put in this week, that it is only fair there should be a prize of some sort. Oh, and please, can somebody, anybody, help Señor Cloverdale out and bring Birmingham Smiles by GBH…….he said it himself, here in black and white, there is a set of strings in it for whoever brings it. He didn’t say what kind of string…….ukulele presumably, but it could be pieces of garden twine to tie up your tomatoes for all I know. Dave, I would do it myself but I know I won’t get time to bring it, but I am going to give Birmingham Smiles a listen to see how it goes ( I am afraid I don’t know any GBH at time of writing). Have a great day/afternoon/night wherever you all are and I’ll catch up with you either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Reactions: TCK
Oh...I think I will check out Birmingham Smiles by GBH but are you all sure you want to hear me sing it? haha.

I am here to say - I LOVE the Noseflutes! I have never listened to many( like, 99%!) of the bands in the Birmingham links that you shared, John....
And I have not checked out everything. But I did listen to The Noseflutes and I totally love their music.
I would love to try to sing one of their totally crazy good songs but i can't understand all the lyrics....
Actually, I am just super happy to listen to their songs...... Cool discovery for me. :---)

Hi again, it’s come to my attention that at least one of you lovely people cannot see my comments on your YouTube videos….l I have no idea why should be because I try to keep up with commenting and updating the playlist. Is anyone else having this issue?

I have been in the UK for a fortnight so I haven't been able to listen to a lot of songs on the Seasons, please forgive me.

Now, I don't know if anyone has submitted a song about Birmingham's connection to canals. But when I think of Birmingham it's the old claim: "Birmingham has more miles of canals within its boundaries than Venice" that comes to mind. In fact, it's literally true if we go on simple mileage - BUT - the canals of Venice are wider and are far more visible than those of Birmingham, which is also a much larger city. There is certainly more water in Venice's canals than in Birmingham's 😉

So, here is my tale of a couple of mates sailing down the canals and reflecting back on their past.

Hope you enjoy:

Top Bottom