Requinto strings?

ploverwing

Duck Wrangler and Rabbit Herder
Staff member
UU VIP
Reaction score
My mom has a requinto, and we'd like to restring it, but I'd like to restring it in A-A (it's currently set up like a tiny guitar on E-E). What would you recommend? Would fluorocarbons work as well as nylon? I have zero clues about this, as I know next to nothing about guitars. Thanks a lot for any help!

Is that a short-scale guitar? If so, you probably should use hard-tension strings; or even-extra-hard tension strings. But, first, check with manufacturer that it can take hard tension strings.

I have a Cordobo Mini II (580mm scale length); it came with Savarez Cristal Corum High Tension 500CJ strings. It feels too floppy for me; I'm going to try D'addario XTC44 strings once these wear out.

Is that a short-scale guitar? If so, you probably should use hard-tension strings; or even-extra-hard tension strings. But, first, check with manufacturer that it can take hard tension strings.

I have a Cordobo Mini II (580mm scale length); it came with Savarez Cristal Corum High Tension 500CJ strings. It feels too floppy for me; I'm going to try D'addario XTC44 strings once these wear out.
I also have the mini 2 and the strings feel floppy, wasn’t sure if I was too used to uke or what. I will try those strings.

Here is a blurb on what a requinto is and how it's tuned, if that helps? I will have to research about what hard-tension strings even are. And it's quite old, I don't even know if I can find out who the manufacturer was; friends of ours brought it back from Mexico, I think in the 60s or 70s?

I really like my requinto. You may as well order requinto strings. I accidentally bought mine for $75 off of offerup thinking I was buying a classical guitar made in Paracho Mexico which was something I had GAS for. It was strung E to E like a guitar and was not impressive. When I realized it was a requinto and ordered the correct strings and going A to A, it's an unreal instrument that sounds beautiful. You will find it kicks a guitalele's butt all over the place. D'Addario EJ94 are the strings I used and are on Amazon among other sites.

I'm just not 100% sure I can use wound strings on this one - I'm not sure it's built to take them. It currently has all nylons, so I'll see if I can find an all nylon set...

I really like my requinto. You may as well order requinto strings. I accidentally bought mine for $75 off of offerup thinking I was buying a classical guitar made in Paracho Mexico which was something I had GAS for. It was strung E to E like a guitar and was not impressive. When I realized it was a requinto and ordered the correct strings and going A to A, it's an unreal instrument that sounds beautiful. You will find it kicks a guitalele's butt all over the place. D'Addario EJ94 are the strings I used and are on Amazon among other sites.
I also figure that since I have a requinto, why get a guitalele? That is super interesting that it's uninspiring strung E to E. We were treating it as a smaller guitar body for my daughter to try her hand at guitar when she was younger, and it's ok, but I'm excited to try it strung the way it's intended to be. Thanks for all the recommendations for D'Addario. I'll see if it'll be ok with wound strings, and go from there.

You need to figure out what the scale length is. If it is indeed 21" like the article you linked, and you want A-A tuning, I would think you need extra low tension classical guitar strings. looking at the EJ94 vs a normal classical set like EJ45, you can see the diameters are significantly smaller with the EJ94.

I'm sure wound nylon is perfectly fine. Of course you would not want steel core, I.e. steel string acoustic guitar.

You need to figure out what the scale length is. If it is indeed 21" like the article you linked, and you want A-A tuning, I would think you need extra low tension classical guitar strings. looking at the EJ94 vs a normal classical set like EJ45, you can see the diameters are significantly smaller with the EJ94.

I'm sure wound nylon is perfectly fine. Of course you would not want steel core, I.e. steel string acoustic guitar.
Thanks very much. It's 55.5 cm (just shy of 22") from nut to saddle. Looks like it already has wound strings so that's good. I took a pic of the label in case anyone is interested:

16586016020150.jpg

I'm sorry I know NOTHING about strings and tensions etc. Is that EJ94 an ok option, then?

For 55.5cm(22 in) scale length tuned A to A definitely light or extra light guitar strings. I am using light guitar strings for my 20 inch tuned g to g. With the longer scale length and higher tuning light might be a tad tight. Try the la Bella 2001 strings. I like them very much.

My new La Bella Requinto strings arrived and I have restrung the requinto today, and have been noodling around with it as I help the strings to settle in. The guitalele music I've found is written an octave higher (this is A2-A4 strung, which is I believe typical for requinto), but it's also got tabs, so I'm merrily figuring out some new stuff (and some pieces I'm already playing on the low-g tenor uke, but reconfigured for guitalele). So much fun! Now I won't have time to do anything but practice music all day, lol.

Top Bottom