Replacing tuning gears

CFKane

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Kanile’a S2, with Waverly tuners on it that I bought used last year. The A string tuner has stopped working. You can turn the peg, but the gear doesn’t turn.

I have emailed Kanile’a about maybe sending it to them for repair or sending me new tuners to have them replaced locally, but haven’t gotten a reply yet.

What I am wondering is it my best option to just replace the tuners with new Waverley’s in the thinking that it would be a like for like swap and would not have to worry about issues with the size of holes on the headstock?

Thoughts?

Sorry, I can't get my head around what you're describing. Could you post a couple of pictures?

I have a similar question - most economical choice for tuners with rear-facing pegs to replace the side-facing ones on my DIY soprano without a need to re- drill/ ream- out the existing holes.

Sorry, I can't get my head around what you're describing. Could you post a couple of pictures?
Sure. The tuner that tunes the 1st/A string has stopped working. The peg, where you grip the tuner, rotates, but the gear does not turn the post and tighten/loosen the string. I am wating to hear from Kanile'a as to whether they recommend I send it to them for repair or get new tuners from them. But I am wondering if I should just get a new set of Waverly tuners because the size of the tuners and the position of the screw holes would be the same. I am wondering what the community thinks my best option is.IMG_5460.jpg

Yes, a comparable new Waverly tuner should be a perfect replacement, matching the post hole diameter and the screw hole spacing. And I'd be inclined to replace them myself or have it done locally before I'd ship it to Kanilea. First I would probably unstring it, remove the tuner and take it apart to determine what's wrong with it.

Yes, a comparable new Waverly tuner should be a perfect replacement, matching the post hole diameter and the screw hole spacing. And I'd be inclined to replace them myself or have it done locally before I'd ship it to Kanilea. First I would probably unstring it, remove the tuner and take it apart to determine what's wrong with it.
Thanks

You can turn the peg, but the gear doesn’t turn.
Did anyone else hear the kid joke, "you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish"? Just me? OK fine.

The peg, where you grip the tuner, rotates, but the gear does not turn the post and tighten/loosen the string.
I'm still not clear. Does the black button spin and not turn the initial peg and gear? Or does the peg turn and the gears aren't engaging? Or do the gears engage and the post not move?

My curious mind would try tightening and loosening screws to see if I can impact the machine in any way... negative or positive!

First I would probably unstring it, remove the tuner and take it apart to determine what's wrong with it.
How do you safely unstring if the tuner doesn't work? A careful snippy snip, while the string is in tension? I'd be scared of the potential energy turning kinetic!

is the black button turning on the metal shaft when it shouldnt? You could try reglueing it with some superglue into the seam on its underside, so it penetrates down into the button...

is the black button turning on the metal shaft when it shouldnt? You could try reglueing it with some superglue into the seam on its underside, so it penetrates down into the button...
I was gonna make the same suggestion, if that's the case. Then I realized I have a Kanilea Baritone with Waverly tuners that I could experiment on. I'm guessing you might just need to tighten this screw at the end of the peg. Hold the button still and tighten the screw.

I unscrewed mine and the peg spun pretty freely and didn't engage the gear very well at all. I re-tightened it and it works like a charm.

Hope this helps!!

Screenshot_20230218_051337_Photo Editor.jpg

ha - in which case stay well away from glue! That must be it...
Fingers crossed. Otherwise, I would bet the screw in the center of the brass gear needs adjusting, as that seems to be attached to the post. I'm confident a few turns of a screw should get it working. I don't see any noticeable damage to the gears.

I was gonna make the same suggestion, if that's the case. Then I realized I have a Kanilea Baritone with Waverly tuners that I could experiment on. I'm guessing you might just need to tighten this screw at the end of the peg. Hold the button still and tighten the screw.

I unscrewed mine and the peg spun pretty freely and didn't engage the gear very well at all. I re-tightened it and it works like a charm.

Hope this helps!!

View attachment 148536
Doesn’t have a screw at the end of the post like in your photo. The post does turn, but it doesn’t turn the brass gear, and so the string post doesn’t turn. I have adjusted the screw in the center of the brass gear and no adjustment changes anything.

Sure. The tuner that tunes the 1st/A string has stopped working. The peg, where you grip the tuner, rotates, but the gear does not turn the post and tighten/loosen the string. I am wating to hear from Kanile'a as to whether they recommend I send it to them for repair or get new tuners from them. But I am wondering if I should just get a new set of Waverly tuners because the size of the tuners and the position of the screw holes would be the same. I am wondering what the community thinks my best option is.View attachment 148524
Tnx for the pictures. Usually there's a key or flat in the black button that engages a mirror image key or flat on the peg or shaft. Unscrew the button screw and inspect the inside of it to see if the key or flat is stripped such that the button won't engage the shaft enough to turn it.
Sorry, just read your previous post saying there's no screw. No screws at the end of all of the buttons?

Last edited:
Top Bottom