Recording your own voice - what apps are you guys using?

RustyFingers

Reaction score
I'm a pretty average singer - I can remember the lyrics, the melodies and hit the right notes, but sometimes my voice seems a little off.

All the singing gurus recommend that you frequently record yourself singing, and then listen carefully for areas you can improve. I haven't done this consistently, and thought I'd give it a try. I generally record with the built-in video app with my Android phone, and then convert the often huge file down to a smaller MP3.

There's got to be an easier way to do it that also gets good results. What kind of recording apps are you guys using?

Depends on the purpose.

I have an advanced multitrack app, Audio Evolution, but I dont use it any more.
If I want to use my recordings, I record on my PC with external microphone etc.
For simple self evaluation, to hear if I am ready to find the heavy gear or not, a simple dictaphone app with nothing fancy is really neat.
Less to think about than with the Audio Evolution. I often use that to compare which ukulele sounds best for a song etc.

I havent installed an ap for it since last I got a new phone, but I guess it is just about searching for dictaphone apps, checking the rating and which one will put the least malware on your phone.

If I were just wanting to listen to my singing voice to evaluate it, I'd use Audacity. It may be all you need. You could also put a karaoke track on there and put your voice on top of it.

I do multitrack recording so I use Cakewalk Sonar Platinum which is now free also through bandlab. This can get you into serious recording but you will need to get an interface. Those can be cheap also $100ish or cheaper if you go used.

Chris

A dictaphone app should be ok. I'm just looking for something quick and easy to check my pitch and delivery.

I found an app called 'Dolby On' on Google Play that looks like a dictaphone app, but adds Dolby, 'de ess'ing' and compression to the recording.

If it’s for analysing your voice for the purpose of improving your singing, use the dictaphone app on your phone. The crappier the recording technology, the better. You want the unflattering truth, and hear every imperfection.

Then, when you record your music to share, and the vocal has compression, depth and reverb, you’ll be glad you put the work in.

Thats my strategy!

Seconding @DuckyI's advice, most android phones have a built in voice recorder. If it's just for listening back don't overwhelm yourself with more advanced audio software - keep it simple for now.

Can you explain what you mean by your voice seeming a little off but you hit the right notes?

Seconding @DuckyI's advice, most android phones have a built in voice recorder. If it's just for listening back don't overwhelm yourself with more advanced audio software - keep it simple for now.

Can you explain what you mean by your voice seeming a little off but you hit the right notes?

I guess I mean my voice sounds flat and uninteresting to me. A tuner shows that the pitch is fine, but it's not pleasant like when Michael Buble sings the same note. :)

I guess I mean my voice sounds flat and uninteresting to me. A tuner shows that the pitch is fine, but it's not pleasant like when Michael Buble sings the same note. :)
Firstly, don't always be comparing yourself to Michael Buble ;) Take inspiration, but your voice is unique to you and the fact you can sing in tune is half the battle! Your issue could be a lot to do with technique, and can definitely be improved with time, patience and training - vocal exercises help with this, there's a bunch on YouTube and Spotify, make sure you warm up and down before and after exercises. This will teach you how to breathe, how to control, and will aid you in getting to know your voice, allowing you to practice different styles to hear what sounds nice to you.

Sometimes ones voice sounds more interesting in a surden part of ones vocal range. My music teacher back in high school said that for men, it is often near the top of the range. But it also depends which expression you want in your voice for that song.
You could try to transpose the song to different keys and listen back which key makes your voice "shine".

I'm a pretty average singer - I can remember the lyrics, the melodies and hit the right notes, but sometimes my voice seems a little off.

All the singing gurus recommend that you frequently record yourself singing, and then listen carefully for areas you can improve. I haven't done this consistently, and thought I'd give it a try. I generally record with the built-in video app with my Android phone, and then convert the often huge file down to a smaller MP3.

There's got to be an easier way to do it that also gets good results. What kind of recording apps are you guys using?
Listen to yourself singing live through a PA with a good microphone. Get comfortable with hearing yourself and go from there.

Top Bottom