Rechargeables For Older Model Roland Cube Street?

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
I have the older (5 watt) model of Roland's "Cube Street" wedge-style amp. It can be operated on six "AA" batteries, as well as an AC adapter. So far, battery-wise, I've used standard alkalines with nice results, averaging maybe 12 hours of usage time per batch. However, I'm curious as to whether this amp would do okay with rechargeable AA's, and if anyone here has done that. If so, would you have any recommendations for quality rechargeables, and a decent charging unit? Thanks!

Nimh AA cells are pretty good and provide decent runtime. Just get whatever is rated highly on Amazon.

I use rechargeable NiMH AA cells in my AC-33, although it takes 8 batteries in a pack.
I've had bad luck before with Chinese made rechargeable batteries and insist on using Japanese made batteries. I use rechargeable Energiser brand batteries which are fine for me. Eneloop batteries have a better reputation.

I recommend that you buy a smart charger rather than a quick charger or economy charger that often comes in packs with the batteries. Being able to see the voltages and also charge odd numbers of batteries is very useful. These chargers are Chinese made yet they seem to work fine.
Maybe the Chinese rechargeable batteries are better these days, yet I never had any luck with them in the past.

I use rechargeable NiMH AA cells in my AC-33, although it takes 8 batteries in a pack.
I've had bad luck before with Chinese made rechargeable batteries and insist on using Japanese made batteries. I use rechargeable Energiser brand batteries which are fine for me. Eneloop batteries have a better reputation.

I recommend that you buy a smart charger rather than a quick charger or economy charger that often comes in packs with the batteries. Being able to see the voltages and also charge odd numbers of batteries is very useful. These chargers are Chinese made yet they seem to work fine.
Maybe the Chinese rechargeable batteries are better these days, yet I never had any luck with them in the past.
Thanks, Anthony! I too have heard good things about Eneloop. Are they affiliated with Panasonic?

There are only a handful of factories actually making nimh cells and everyone just relabels them.
Amazon Canada has the Eneloops and EBL chargers and these work well. The energizers from Lowes or home depot are good too but expensive when not on special

Thanks, Anthony! I too have heard good things about Eneloop. Are they affiliated with Panasonic?
I've got a ton of those eneloop batteries. We buy em in bulk (like 12-18 in pack) off amazon usually when they are on sale, and I use them in all my pedals, audio recorders, headphones, flashlights etc. I've got their AA and AAAs and a couple of chargers. I've never had any problem with them. They last a long time.

There are only a handful of factories actually making nimh cells and everyone just relabels them.
Amazon Canada has the Eneloops and EBL chargers and these work well. The energizers from Lowes or home depot are good too but expensive when not on special
Thanks, Baconsalad!

I've got a ton of those eneloop batteries. We buy em in bulk (like 12-18 in pack) off amazon usually when they are on sale, and I use them in all my pedals, audio recorders, headphones, flashlights etc. I've got their AA and AAAs and a couple of chargers. I've never had any problem with them. They last a long time.
Thanks, SWB! Good to know!

Top Bottom