Radiuses fretboards on production ukes?

My arthritis is getting worse and my barre skills, already sketchy, are rapidly going south. I’m wondering whether a custom, luthier-made uke is the only option for people who want a radiused fretboard, or if any of the big brands offer them. I tried searching Baz’s Got A Ukulele reviews but didn’t find any major brands who do this. (Why don’t they?)
Since you are looking for production ukes, you might email uke stores directly.

Have you tried a radiued fretboard on a uke? You should try one first before buying because you might just find that they aren't much easier (if any) to play barre chords. The uke's neck is already very narrow; which makes barreing fairly easy; the neck profile might actually have more effect than fretboard radius.

Perhaps first work on your technique? You can first try barreing just 2 string to work up the technique. There is a squeeze between your thumb and index finger on the strings, but it is a very gentle squeeze. Also, your index/barre finger doesn't have to be percisely parallel to the frets; just place it in a more ergo slanted fashion.

If you like, I can record a video just for you.

Have you tried a radiued fretboard on a uke? You should try one first before buying because you might just find that they aren't much easier (if any) to play barre chords. The uke's neck is already very narrow; which makes barreing fairly easy; the neck profile might actually have more effect than fretboard radius.

Perhaps first work on your technique? You can first try barreing just 2 string to work up the technique. There is a squeeze between your thumb and index finger on the strings, but it is a very gentle squeeze. Also, your index/barre finger doesn't have to be percisely parallel to the frets; just place it in a more ergo slanted fashion.

If you like, I can record a video just for you.
Yes, please! A video would be helpful not just to me, but I imagine to others as well. Very nice of you to offer.

My difficulty is mostly with playing a barre over 2 or 3 strings while at the same time playing a higher note up the neck with my pinky on a different string. My left hand looks like a tortured crab.

I'm probably an outlier, but radiused fretboards don't seem to help my barre chords and may actually hinder other chording. I have 2 tenors with radiuses and will go with flat fretboards on future purchases, so the advice to try first is good.

Neck shape and width, low action at the nut, and lower string tension have a greater effect for me. And I still have trouble barring with my index finger and reaching to fret with my little finger.

My difficulty is mostly with playing a barre over 2 or 3 strings while at the same time playing a higher note up the neck with my pinky on a different string. My left hand looks like a tortured crab.

Here's a video; I hope it is helpful to you. I had fun making it. (I also included something extra WRT strap that's not for you but somebody else on UU.)

The main thing is to not use too much pressure and slant your finger in a natural way. NOTE: my pinky was broken so it's in a weird angle; don't try to imitate tha; it's impossible for the average person. :)

Here's a video; I hope it is helpful to you. I had fun making it. (I also included something extra WRT strap that's not for you but somebody else on UU.)

The main thing is to not use too much pressure and slant your finger in a natural way. NOTE: my pinky was broken so it's in a weird angle; don't try to imitate tha; it's impossible for the average person. :)

Very generous and thoughtful of you to do this, thanks. But I’m still not convinced that a slight arch to the fretboard wouldn’t ease my playing. I used to play the violin, which has an arched fingerboard, and various double stops and triple stops didn’t give me any trouble.

Another consideration is the shape and height of the frets on the uke. Some are much easier to play than others. I find the low round frets harder to use. Easier for me are the higher, nicely crowned fret wire.
What you say makes a lot of sense, Kenn2018. If playing a note requires pushing the string against the fret wire, then a low, rounded fret wire would demand more of an effort, physically, to sustain that contact, especially in barring. My current ukes have low, rounded wires.

Why did this never occur to me before? You’re a genius.

I am a huge radius fretboard fan. Unfortunately not many production soprano sized ukes come with radiused fretboards. Pono pro classic in soprano size does, a friend has one. But they don’t seem to be made often. As others have said Anuenue makes one but I believe it is a shallow 21” radius, Pono is 16” and Mya Moe and Collings are 12”. The lower the number the more pronounced the radius.

I think it’s more a combination of your hand size and neck thickness. If you have really big hands and a very thin neck or the reverse it might not work with or without radius fretboard. It’s a bit like trying on a pair of gloves. Some fit better than others. If your hand and fingers fall in the ‘average’ range then it might work out better. Nothing like being able to play it in your hands. Unfortunately for many of us that is not possible.

Not a Soprano player, except long neck ones, but I really like the radiused fretboards.

I am the happy owner og both an aNueNue AMM 3, a Cocobolo concert ukulele, and a MyaMoe super soprano.

I had the AMM 3 for a while before I realized that it was radiused. I prefer the more pronounced radius on the other other ukuleles, and dont noticed much effect on the AMM 3.

I used to think the playability of my Ohana super soprano was great, with nice chunky frets. After getting my MyaMoe, it doesnt feel as easy anymore. It is so very playable, I would only wish it was louder.

The Cocobolo practically plays it self, so nice is the playability of that one. You need a strap to hold up the heavy neck, but I use that Anyway.

Cocobolo would be the obvious suggestion but I've never seen them make sopranos, only long neck sopranos...

I think it’s more a combination of your hand size and neck thickness. If you have really big hands and a very thin neck or the reverse it might not work with or without radius fretboard. It’s a bit like trying on a pair of gloves. Some fit better than others. If your hand and fingers fall in the ‘average’ range then it might work out better. Nothing like being able to play it in your hands. Unfortunately for many of us that is not possible.
Small hands, and not too supple, unfortunately.

Small hands, and not too supple, unfortunately.
I'm in the same boat. Drives me nuts trying to get to a standard E chord. It's actually downright painful even after years of practice. I play it up the neck at 4447 even though I don't like the high voicing. I've been wondering if the radiused fretboard would help.
People's ideas here have been helpful

Top Bottom